Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #1

Carport height

I am looking to build a carport to protect my new traileer from the harsh Nevada sun. The specs say the height is 101" (with A/C), although my A/C is on the side. I do want my radio antenna to clear. How much higher than the tip of the antenna do I want to make the carport?

What is your experience regarding wooden, slanted roof, pitched roof, aluminum with domed roof or aluminum with slanted roof. I am putting it between my storage shed and my garage.

I am in the high desert and we have some pretty hefty wind at times.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #2

I would build it 15 ft tall to accommodate any trailer height. Build it atleast 10 ft longer than current trailer. You can bring sides down to help with early and late sun. Majority of the ones on the gulf coast are made of steel. They have to be able to withstand 130 mph wind. So build out of what you want but build it right and you will be fine.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #3

We were in the same boat years back, also live in desert with high winds. Haboob winds. We built a metal carport, open on both ends, so that the winds won't take it down. DH made it with all aluminum studs and galvanized top. The siding we screwed on shade screen to the studs and then matched the house with plastic lattice to hold screening on. This left plenty of air through on the sides plus shading to protect the TT. We were afraid of enclosing only the sidewalls due to the high winds. Our RV port is 22' X 38'. We originally built it in 2004 for our PUP, like you the sun does so much damage. Had to raise it in 2010 when we purchased the first TT. But we only raised it to 12' 8 in the front and 13' 2" in the rear to fit the new TT. We purposely built it 2" higher in the back for rain drainage to the front. If we were to start all over (hind sight) we would have built to the max height by city code of 15'. We didn't expect to upgrade when we first built it. All of our toys have stayed newer looking due to being covered. I hope this helps.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #4

You can never build too big, but you can always wish you had. I like even numbers so I'd do 16' sidewalls.