Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #1

Check bearings?

New trailer and I have just about 500 miles now. What's the best and easiest way to check bearings?

Any other things to check besides obvious air pressure, tires, etc?

Jeff

Ps. New TV pulls TT like a dream!
jsundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #2

I repacked the bearings on my trailer as soon as I got it home. You would be surprised how little grease I found in the bearings straight from the factory. Lots of Youtube videos available if you haven't done this before.
highlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:24 AM   #3

The whole spindle cavity doesn't need to be filled for there to be "enough" grease. Do you want to check them for wear, preload, water contamination? Jack the wheel up off the ground, grab hold of it diametrically opposite and try to wiggle it back and forth. Tapered roller bearings need a small amount of clearance for proper operation.

Unless you have a valid reason to believe that there is a problem with the wheel bearings, leave them alone. You'd be better off checking the lug nut torque at 500 miles than anything else.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #4

Every time you stop for gas, feel the hubs with your fingertips. Should be warm (not hot), and all about the same temperature. If one feels noticeably warmer, it probably should be checked out.

I serviced mine after the first year of travel (about 20k miles) and all looked fine. Replaced the seals, cleaned out and replaced the grease with new.

I haven't serviced them again since then (two years now, and another 20k miles or so). I just feel them when I stop, and they are never hot.

I know it's recommended to service them every year or 12k miles, but I'm ok with a longer interval. Heck,how often do car and truck hubs get serviced? As long as I'm not submerging the hubs in water, I think they'll be ok for quite a while. Just my opinion, and not advice.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #5

which axle do you have?. It could be you have never lube, eazy lube or standard type axle.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote