Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #1

cleaning my roof.......

I need to clean the roof of my trailer (exp 29A) and was wondering what others have been using for that job?

Are you satisfied with the result?

- Keith
chopshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #2

The past two years I have used a mild dishwashing detergent and a semi-soft brush and it does the job pretty well. I keep it in covered storage when not in use and the main thing I get on top is the West Texas dust settling on it. I am guessing that you have the rubber roof as well?
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #3

Don enjoys this job so he preps the water and cleans the roof twice a year per suggestions in our maintanence manual; usually in Spring as we get ready to camp again and once again towards the end of camping season in Fall. He takes this time to inspect the seals up there as well as general condition of the roof also.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #4

Sounds like a good idea... This spring I'm going to give mine a good looking over...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #5

has anyone sealed there roof yet? Checking seems and resealing? What do you use and what product do you recommend. My brother in law has an 02 Fleetwood (rubber roof) that is starting to look beat!
lou1216gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #6

I used a mild cleanser and a scrub brush. It was for me a long procedure especially as I don't do well on heights. I also suggest that if you see a problem with your roof seal then use eterna-bond. This stuff is fantastic and once on is not going to cause leaks and is on for life.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #7

For my current 2006 Jayco TT and previous 1993 Prowler TT, every 6 months (spring and fall), I clean their EDPM roofs with Protect-All Cleaner and after rinse / dry, I then apply Protect-All Roof treatment. After roof treatment, any rain water instantly beads up. Thus, I know its helping to seal (and condition) the roof as well. Been doing this for years with great success. For more details, surf entire video at: http://www.protectall.com/rrtlong.aspx

To "treat" or NOT to treat a roof? Wax or NOT to wax (as s similar question)? One can debate for many years. IMO, its a good thing to apply hand treatment to hands that are exposed to weather abuse. Applying treatment to RV roofs (and wax to RV/TTs sides) is a good thing as well.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #8

I think I will treat mine also. I plan on bringing our trailer up to our land in New Mexico for the greater part of the summer. We will use it there approx. 3 weekends per month.

I have neighbors up there so theft isn't a big issue or, at least I hope not. How do you guys recommend I set the trailer up. I would like to make an aluminum awning for the land but the cost is too high. I was thinking about covering it until I read the posts here "to cover or not".

I guess in a nutshell, I'm worrying about rodents and the weather, it's at 7000 ft., high desert area with temps in the summer being 85 tops.

Any help here would be awsome.

Thanks,
Keith
chopshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #9

The RV rubber roof cleaner works the best.
wb2nco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #10

Hi chopshop.

I'm a little confused on your "aluminum awning" idea....

If a towing trailer, perhaps it might be best to install a normal spring loaded awning. For example: http://www.argorv.com/suppliers/shad...ing_sample.jpg When you travel, simply roll the awning in. Then, roll it back out when you reach your destination. And during mild or rainy wind season, lower its outer poles - to give it more slope.

If thinking of parking your trailer under a shelter (at a seasonal site or for off-season storage), perhaps a low cost soft material sheet shelter might work. For example: http://www.hisconw.com/images/rvpix/...-carport14.jpg

If wondering, I've created a removable "hard top" that goes over my TT's slide. This May, I plan to install it on my seasonal site' TT. This cover will also create a proper slope on our slide's roof. And, eliminate its water leaks as well. If wondering, I'll post digitila pictures this May. Perhaps a removeable "hard top" on your TT's slide might work as well?

Hope this helps in your research....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote