Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #1

Considering a purchase

Hi -
We've been full timing 3 years in Texas. We would like to go West and stay for a while, really explore. We have come to realize that our house is cold, especially the slides (hot or cold), even in the Texas Hill Country!
In researching, I have found lots of happy Jayco owners, many are repeat business.
We would not winter in the mountains but we wouldn't be in Texas either. So we really need a better insulated, well built 5th wheel that is not so heavy we can't afford to pull it. That has brought me to the Eagle HT's. Very light and has the climate shield.

I would appreciate any input, stories, thoughts, suggestions. How well you like your RV & why, is it built well, has it held up well, are the cabinets wood, is it cool or warm inside depending on the weather outside including the slides, do you like the windows (ventilation?hot or cold?) are you happy with your purchase? You know all the questions we should ask

This will be a full time, long term home and I'd like it to be a smart well thought out decision. I really appreciate your time and information
Mary
chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #2

We went from a fiver to a tongue pull and like it better. Weighs 5-6000 pounds less...pulls easier. It's 39.5 ft with three slides and we have more room than we had with the 39 ft with 4 slides. I have the use of the bed of my truck to haul things in now. We have the climate shield and it's the best and easiest RV ever to keep cool...so I would expect to keep warm as well.
The high end RVs that lots if full timers use are all wood frame as wood does not
Transfer heat and cold like the aluminum frames.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #3

Chamberlain,

I, also, full-time in an Eagle travel trailer (2013 266RKS). I agree with THS; I have a lot more head room in the bedroom than most 5ers, I don't have to walk up stairs to go to the john, and the bed of my truck is available to haul all kinks of tools, generator, ladder, golf clubs, and more. My trailer stays warm when it's cold outside, and cool when it's warm outside. And, because of the lighter weight, I get 8.4 mpg with my F150 Ecoboost. JMHO, but I think it's a great set up!
Old 10-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #4

Although we're not full-timing, we do take extended trips in our Jayco White Hawk 30DSRE, with climate package. As much as we like our White Hawk, not for sure it would stand up to the rigors of full-timing. Mine is a 2013 model with 30 amp service, 50 amp wasn't an option when we brought - although now I believe it is. I can say that with only 1 15K AC unit, we stay pretty cool, even in 100% weather. We have the fireplace option and after running the furnace to heat things up, the fireplace keeps us warm in temps as low as the 40s. Love taking those trips out West, especially Utah.

Good Luck....
BF&W Nisa and Sophie the Chewinnie
2017 Ford F-150, 3.5 Ecoboost, Max Tow
2013 White Hawk 30DSRE
Bstar1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #5

Another person who prefers a TT. The 26.5RLS Eagle HT has a similar floor plan to our White Hawk 27DSRL. Is about 1700 lbs lighter. And as previous posters have said you have your truck bed for carrying stuff.

We have not traveled that extensively, staying mostly in South Carolina. Have been in 95degree heat and the A/C keeps it plenty cool. Have 15000 BTU A/C and Climate Shield.
I have replaced the thermostat with a digital one by Coleman. ($70.00) Keeps the temperature much more constant.

Have been in 45-50 degree cold and furnace works just fine.

Since we are not contemplating full timing the White Hawk suits us well.
Jay Flights and Eagles are probably more heavily constructed, however all trailers in this price range have basically the same appliances.

What have you been living in for the past three years?

Welcome to JOF, good luck in your search!!
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum.

Not much to add as I have only owned this TT, but it was warm when the temp dropped to 28F in May here and cool at 92F in August. The thermal package works I guess.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:31 AM   #7

We now own a HT 29.5BHDS and love it. We have had both and prefer the fifth wheel. It's our second fifth wheel. Both have good and bad. It tows much nicer than a TT and it maneuvers better. Also it has much more storage so we don't have to pack anything into the truck anymore. Just hitch and go. We also have it because we tow our boat behind it. Over all length is shorter too because 4-5' of trailer are over your truck bed.

All personal preference though and I'm sure you will be happy with either style. I think regardless of what model you choose, most Jaycos are very similar in regards to your questions. I thought most of the larger ones have the climate shield, wood cabinets, etc.

I would seriously consider dual pane thermal windows. We didn't get them on our new trailer but I wish we had. We do a lot of cold weather (not snow but we run the heater) camping. They condensate pretty bad. I struggled with this decision when ordering but decided against because of potential long term problems. I regret it now.

I would also suggest you looking at Open Range brand. Ironically Jayco just bought them. They have always been considered about the most well insulated in the industry as well as built well.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote