Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #11

Can somebody tell me how much space the top bunk actually has? My kids like to play in their bunks and I'm worried that the top bunk will have one of them hitting their heads all the time.

Also does the window in the bottom bunk open? Just wondering about ventilation for them (I guess the kid on the top bunk loses out here).

s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
We purchased our 2010 213 new and really enjoy it. We did have the slide motor on ours replaced under warranty in 2012 and have had no further issues with the slide. We do find the unit a bit low, and find that we can't empty into a tote unless the trailer is up on high blocks. I've also dragged the rear in a couple of spots (Going on/off ferry). I think you will find the top bunk a little tight for an adult. Our bottom bunk collapsed the first time an adult got in it, I added more supports to the ledge that it rests on. I have also added L.E.D. lighting, replaced the stabilizers with B.A.L. jacks and installed a group 31 battery. My 1/2 ton GMC (tow pckg & 4:10 rear end) tows the unit with no problem. I do find that its very easy to exceed GWVR with the trailer hooked up, so we're planning to upgrade to a 2500 this spring.
My GVWR would be about 227 pounds in the black assuming roughly 1k pounds over the dry weight after all is said and done. Figured this out w/ the handy PUX calculator - if any are interested let me know.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Can somebody tell me how much space the top bunk actually has? My kids like to play in their bunks and I'm worried that the top bunk will have one of them hitting their heads all the time.

Also does the window in the bottom bunk open? Just wondering about ventilation for them (I guess the kid on the top bunk loses out here).
If it were my design I would have lowered the top bunk by 4-6 inches. It is fine for small kids but taller ones might have to duck. The bottom bunk is excellent and my oldest daughter uses it as a cave to read in when it rains.

I wish there was some sort of ladder. Even agile kids need to hop to get in the top bunk.

The window on the bottom bunk does not open, not sure if there is a replacement window available that opens.

Overall I really like the X213. It has an excellent amount of interior space in a reasonable size exterior footprint and weight. It is close to the ground but I've had no problems on paved roads and the reduced drag is always good.

I looked at countless trailers over the years and everyone is a compromise. For our family of 4 (plus big dog) this was the best compromise I have ever seen.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #14

Is the 15k A/C a option that I should take if I go w/ this model?
Old 12-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #15

We love our 213. We did have the slide out motor replaced under warranty, the new motor is faster and more powerful then the old and I don't anticipate any issues with it.

We are a family of 5 and it works well for us.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #16

Can somebody comment on the rear slide and its ability to keep out drafts? I'm wondering specifically about cold, but anything about drafts in general is okay too. Is there anything besides that little skirt I see in the pictures keeping out the elements?

Also, is the 'floor' of the king slide insulated in any way or does it tend to get cold like a HTT's bunk end floor (necessitating those heated pads Jayco sells).
Old 12-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #17

Our king slide seals well when open, and is not drafty. The underside of the bunk is not insulated and does get cold when the temperature dips. That being said, once you get in the bed with a couple of blankets/comforters the bed is comfortable. We've slept in our X213 when the temperature has been down around freezing and we've been comfortable with the furnace on.

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Is the 15k A/C a option that I should take if I go w/ this model?
Depends how hot it gets where you live. Ours came with A/C as that's what the dealer had on the lot. Given the choice I would have passed and saved the money and the weight.

The ducted furnance works great though.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx213 View Post
If it were my design I would have lowered the top bunk by 4-6 inches. It is fine for small kids but taller ones might have to duck. The bottom bunk is excellent and my oldest daughter uses it as a cave to read in when it rains.

I wish there was some sort of ladder. Even agile kids need to hop to get in the top bunk.

The window on the bottom bunk does not open, not sure if there is a replacement window available that opens.

Overall I really like the X213. It has an excellent amount of interior space in a reasonable size exterior footprint and weight. It is close to the ground but I've had no problems on paved roads and the reduced drag is always good

I looked at countless trailers over the years and everyone is a compromise. For our family of 4 (plus big dog) this was the best compromise I have ever seen.
I agree, on our last family trip, I had my youngest adult daughter sleeping in the upper bunk and her fiancÚ sleeping on the lower bunk. The upper bunk for an adult is fine in a crunch, my daughter had no complaints other than the ceiling height and lack of a ladder. I will be making one in the spring for it though. a screen door or functioning window for the lower bunk would have been a nice option otherwise this trailer suits our needs just fine. I added battery operated LED lighting that I bought from Costco below the slide out bed cabinets with a remote light switch, I was surprised that they did not consider this when they designed the trailer. I would also like to modify the TV mount so that it can tilt and swing out. We don't use it unless we are at a site that has power or wen I al running the generator when charging the battery.
BCx213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #20

I need to see this rig in person obviously, but my thoughts are for young kids these bunks are there little sanctuary or private area. Ideally I'd like one of my DDs to be able to sit upright in it and read, play her iPad, etc. probably not possible though from what I see in the pics. A consideration to be sure.