Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #1

Considering the X213

Hey Gang,

I'm debating stepping up to this model from my current model X17z (mostly due to the abysmal CCC of said trailer). If I have to take another more expensive step and get beat up on the trade, I might as well forgo the canvas and step fully to 'the dark side'.

This model has been out some time now; are there any problems with it or have most of the gremlins been found and swatted? I've read about slide alignment issues and something about the motor being undersized but supposedly addressed?

Is this a solid coach at this point? I can't afford another screwup ...

Thanks much.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #2

The X213 is on our short list as well. We were interested in the X23B but after a summer in a pop-up we decided to ditch the canvas as well. The King size bed, and versatility of the bunks really appeals to us. We have grown kids, who occasionally will camp with us so having a couple of wide 300lb capacity bunks is great. Even better is being able to flip them up and use the area for something else when it just the two of us. Another plus is having both the kitchen and dinette on the side with the awning so we can look out onto our site.

The drawbacks I see with the x213 is that area with the couch and sofa is fairly cramped and not having a walk around bed (but willing to give this up to get a king bed). I read that just about every camper with a slide out of any kind can have problems. I guess the x213 is no exception, but I think the majority of them work well.

We've looked a dozens of campers and keep coming back to a rear slide model.

The Keystone Outback 210RS is very similar. It has a couple of things we liked better than the X213. It has a small outside kitchen, which we would use. The cabinets in the slide are along the sides rather than in the very rear. So I think they would be easier to access. There is also a light in the rear slide, which the X213 does not have. I also think the exterior of the Outback looks cool compared to the Jayco. On the other hand, the 210RS is heavier (4920lbs vs 4258lbs yellow sticker unloaded weights) and sits higher up than the X213, so I think towing it would be more difficult. My wife also did not like the decor of the particular 210RS we looked at, but other interiors may be more appealing.
perfpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #3

perpix, ... some thoughts about your post:
You are not making an "impulse buy" so you will end up with a TT that is right for you. I'm a real fan of Jayco, and I have my reasons. IMO, blind loyalty to a product in not a good thing - side-by-side comparisons work well for the consumer.
The majority of slides do work well - get the slide if you want it.
The TT weights are not an issue, those are not heavy trailers. If your TV is capable for that weight, and you have a proper hitch setup, you won't know the difference. While dealing with weights, you might want to look into CCC. That becomes an issue for some buyers.
A few inches of height does will not make a noticeable difference in towing. It's a good thing when using a waste tote, or getting underneath for whatever.
The interior - can't help you with that one.
Hope you enjoy your new TT.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #4

Bought our 2011 X213 new and we love it. We have had no problem with the slide. The only issue we've had so far was wih the AC unit. The first time we tried it in hot weather it didn't work. It was replaced under warranty. It's well made and an easy trailer to tow. We love the section in the front where the bottom bunk bed lifts up. We stick our bikes in this area while traveling and then it becomes a storage/staging area when were set up at camp. The X213 has worked well for us.

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #5

Thank you all for the input - keep em coming !!!

We also like what used to be the 23M; it looks like Jayco moved it to the White Hawk line as the 23MBH. Something about that floorplan really calls to me however its also another $2k North of the x213, which was $2.5k North of the X19H we were originally considering !!!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #6

We was really interested in 2009/2010 time frame going to hard sides from our OFF-ROAD POPUP series. Looked at several different trailers back then and really liked the X213. Since our kids are all grown up now there is only the two of us and our truck being the F150 line kept us in the 24-foot and less models to look at.

Being a ham radio/computer guy I really fell in love with what mods we could do with the front bunk bed area of the 213. This was perfect to remove the top and bottom beds and put up a new wall about 18-inches from the side storage door. Then using the 12-inch shelf that runs the whole length of the front bunk room being opened up on the inside gave all kinds of space for panels, inverters, power units, etc to support camping off the power grid. The front of the trailer would definitely support a metal battery box with all of the cabling going directly into the area under the 12-inch shelf and make for a great place for control switches etc...

Lots of room here after you remove the top and bottom beds. Both beds are shown in place in this photo and would have to be removed.. The top bed support floor would have to be removed. The CLOTHES WARD would remain in place...

We also could mount a modified put together wood desk and hutch arrangement with a side table to house all of our office computer, ham radio controls, and even a nice spot for a good printer setup. My computer setup is the DELL M90 17-inch laptop which has the DELL DOCKING Station setup and you could just simply bring in the laptop and insert it into the docking station and have external dual monitors, external keyboard and speakers etc al setup on the side desk. The front of the desk with the hutch would house all of the radio equipment.... A office desk roll around chair would fit under the main part of the desk allowing a draw curtain type door to close off the area.

It would have looked much like this drawing we come up with showing the mods...

The BUSH series desk/hutch combo like this would have fit the area just fine with the side desk cut to to fit.

Most of the deficiencies seemed to be in the 2009 and back models of the X213. The sagging of the slide out would rip the cushions on the sofa and table seat. The slide motor was also a weak unit for those models. I liked the change with the side windows verses the rear window that came with the 2010 model. The X213 was well within the F150 towing capabilities... Plenty of room on the roof area of the 213 for solar panels. Would have made us a great camping off the power grid mid size trailer with hard walls.

That definitely was my choice for the mid size trailer... Got lots of reviews from fellow campers that had them. For two people with the occasional grand kid coming along and all of our office/computer/radio room toys this trailer would be have perfect for us.

In the end however we never bought one and are still running the back road trails with our present 2008 OFF-ROAD POPUP camper.

Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #7

This would be for a family of 4 so the bunkhouse is important to us. To be honest the King slide could have been a Queen for all we care. That's why we peaked at the 23MBH; the Murphy bed would be fine for us but its more coin to go up that far. Though I'm sure I'm getting something for it, I'm not sure its worth it over the already accomodating x213. Got some time to sort this out ... spring purchase.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #8

Probably have to order it too as I'm pretty sure I want the 2" lift kit.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #9

We purchased our 2010 213 new and really enjoy it. We did have the slide motor on ours replaced under warranty in 2012 and have had no further issues with the slide. We do find the unit a bit low, and find that we can't empty into a tote unless the trailer is up on high blocks. I've also dragged the rear in a couple of spots (Going on/off ferry). I think you will find the top bunk a little tight for an adult. Our bottom bunk collapsed the first time an adult got in it, I added more supports to the ledge that it rests on. I have also added L.E.D. lighting, replaced the stabilizers with B.A.L. jacks and installed a group 31 battery. My 1/2 ton GMC (tow pckg & 4:10 rear end) tows the unit with no problem. I do find that its very easy to exceed GWVR with the trailer hooked up, so we're planning to upgrade to a 2500 this spring.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #10

We bought a new x213 in Feb 2012, we have used it numerous time in the past two summers and the only issue that I had was the power jack. It was replaced under warranty, we absolutely love this trailer and it is great unit to tow with my 1/2 ton Dodge Ram 1500. The only mods that I have made is changing my interior lighting to LED. I do the winterization myself and it is really simple to do.
BCx213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #11

Can somebody tell me how much space the top bunk actually has? My kids like to play in their bunks and I'm worried that the top bunk will have one of them hitting their heads all the time.

Also does the window in the bottom bunk open? Just wondering about ventilation for them (I guess the kid on the top bunk loses out here).
Old 12-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
We purchased our 2010 213 new and really enjoy it. We did have the slide motor on ours replaced under warranty in 2012 and have had no further issues with the slide. We do find the unit a bit low, and find that we can't empty into a tote unless the trailer is up on high blocks. I've also dragged the rear in a couple of spots (Going on/off ferry). I think you will find the top bunk a little tight for an adult. Our bottom bunk collapsed the first time an adult got in it, I added more supports to the ledge that it rests on. I have also added L.E.D. lighting, replaced the stabilizers with B.A.L. jacks and installed a group 31 battery. My 1/2 ton GMC (tow pckg & 4:10 rear end) tows the unit with no problem. I do find that its very easy to exceed GWVR with the trailer hooked up, so we're planning to upgrade to a 2500 this spring.
My GVWR would be about 227 pounds in the black assuming roughly 1k pounds over the dry weight after all is said and done. Figured this out w/ the handy PUX calculator - if any are interested let me know.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Can somebody tell me how much space the top bunk actually has? My kids like to play in their bunks and I'm worried that the top bunk will have one of them hitting their heads all the time.

Also does the window in the bottom bunk open? Just wondering about ventilation for them (I guess the kid on the top bunk loses out here).
If it were my design I would have lowered the top bunk by 4-6 inches. It is fine for small kids but taller ones might have to duck. The bottom bunk is excellent and my oldest daughter uses it as a cave to read in when it rains.

I wish there was some sort of ladder. Even agile kids need to hop to get in the top bunk.

The window on the bottom bunk does not open, not sure if there is a replacement window available that opens.

Overall I really like the X213. It has an excellent amount of interior space in a reasonable size exterior footprint and weight. It is close to the ground but I've had no problems on paved roads and the reduced drag is always good.

I looked at countless trailers over the years and everyone is a compromise. For our family of 4 (plus big dog) this was the best compromise I have ever seen.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #14

Is the 15k A/C a option that I should take if I go w/ this model?
Old 12-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #15

We love our 213. We did have the slide out motor replaced under warranty, the new motor is faster and more powerful then the old and I don't anticipate any issues with it.

We are a family of 5 and it works well for us.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #16

Can somebody comment on the rear slide and its ability to keep out drafts? I'm wondering specifically about cold, but anything about drafts in general is okay too. Is there anything besides that little skirt I see in the pictures keeping out the elements?

Also, is the 'floor' of the king slide insulated in any way or does it tend to get cold like a HTT's bunk end floor (necessitating those heated pads Jayco sells).
Old 12-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #17

Our king slide seals well when open, and is not drafty. The underside of the bunk is not insulated and does get cold when the temperature dips. That being said, once you get in the bed with a couple of blankets/comforters the bed is comfortable. We've slept in our X213 when the temperature has been down around freezing and we've been comfortable with the furnace on.

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Is the 15k A/C a option that I should take if I go w/ this model?
Depends how hot it gets where you live. Ours came with A/C as that's what the dealer had on the lot. Given the choice I would have passed and saved the money and the weight.

The ducted furnance works great though.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx213 View Post
If it were my design I would have lowered the top bunk by 4-6 inches. It is fine for small kids but taller ones might have to duck. The bottom bunk is excellent and my oldest daughter uses it as a cave to read in when it rains.

I wish there was some sort of ladder. Even agile kids need to hop to get in the top bunk.

The window on the bottom bunk does not open, not sure if there is a replacement window available that opens.

Overall I really like the X213. It has an excellent amount of interior space in a reasonable size exterior footprint and weight. It is close to the ground but I've had no problems on paved roads and the reduced drag is always good

I looked at countless trailers over the years and everyone is a compromise. For our family of 4 (plus big dog) this was the best compromise I have ever seen.
I agree, on our last family trip, I had my youngest adult daughter sleeping in the upper bunk and her fiancé sleeping on the lower bunk. The upper bunk for an adult is fine in a crunch, my daughter had no complaints other than the ceiling height and lack of a ladder. I will be making one in the spring for it though. a screen door or functioning window for the lower bunk would have been a nice option otherwise this trailer suits our needs just fine. I added battery operated LED lighting that I bought from Costco below the slide out bed cabinets with a remote light switch, I was surprised that they did not consider this when they designed the trailer. I would also like to modify the TV mount so that it can tilt and swing out. We don't use it unless we are at a site that has power or wen I al running the generator when charging the battery.
BCx213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #20

I need to see this rig in person obviously, but my thoughts are for young kids these bunks are there little sanctuary or private area. Ideally I'd like one of my DDs to be able to sit upright in it and read, play her iPad, etc. probably not possible though from what I see in the pics. A consideration to be sure.