Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #1

Converter and Propane Detector problems

First trip out with our Jayco Jayfeather 228 this year and everything seems to be packing it in.

1) propane/Co detector started going off for no reason shortly after we setup at the campground. I tried to reset it but it would to clear. I ended up unscrewing it and disconnecting one of the wires from the back. I guess I will bring it into the dealer this week and get a new unit. I thought I read something on this forum about people having issues with these. I have not pulled it out to see if there is a date code on it.

2) second issue has me a little concerned. I should start by stating that we had a 30amp power site and the trailer was plugged in.
The first night I got up at about 5:00am to use the washroom and when I flushed the toilet the pump didn't come on. When I went to the control panel none of the lights were on, it was completely dead, none of the 12 volt system was working including the lights. We had a small 1500 watt cube heater running and it was still running, so was the fridge. I flipped all the breakers on the converter and nothing. I pulled out each fuse and checked them, nothing, they were all fine. I flipped all the breakers again and this time the converter fan started up and the 12volt system was back on line. Did not happen again all weekend. Could the converter be getting flaky?

Last year, first summer with our new trailer, not a single issue. This year the hot water tap disintegrated in my hand when I was dewinterizing, the handle on my screen door broke a week before we went out and now all the above. Hope this it it for a while.

Anyone have any suggestions on the above I would love to hear them.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I had a converter go out recently.
The 1st thing that we noticed was when we turned on anything 12V, the light would dim and propane detector starting chirping.
You can check your converter by putting a volt meter on the output side of your converter. It should read about 13.5V
Also, if your converter is working, all your 12V stuff should work with shore power connected and battery disconnected.

When your converter goes, it will run your 12V stuff off battery until battery is low, then propane detector will start chirping and lights will dim.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ed-as-To-Cause

There's a link to my issue and what I found.
Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #3

Wow Jeff sounds like an interesting trip. Hope all works out keep us all updated.
Dogfather to Yoshi our rescue German Shepherd
and Alley our husky mix rescue
Lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
I had a converter go out recently.
The 1st thing that we noticed was when we turned on anything 12V, the light would dim and propane detector starting chirping.
You can check your converter by putting a volt meter on the output side of your converter. It should read about 13.5V
Also, if your converter is working, all your 12V stuff should work with shore power connected and battery disconnected.

When your converter goes, it will run your 12V stuff off battery until battery is low, then propane detector will start chirping and lights will dim.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ed-as-To-Cause

There's a link to my issue and what I found.
Best regards,
Doug
Thanks Doug. Now you got me wondering if my propane detector was the problem or if it was he converter. When I did get the 12volt side working after flipping breakers the battery was fully charged. I am going to test he converter the ways you mentioned. I will keep you updated.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #5

We had a sensor go off for the propane last winter and what we found was that a burner knob had been bumped from the off position when the stove was wiped down after cooking dinner. Propane is heavy and flows down hill and it doesn't take much to trip the alarm. We would open the door and air it out and the alarm would shut off then about five minutes later it would sound again. I was on the verge of disconnecting it when I noticed the burner knob that was slightly ajar.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:43 AM   #6

Nice catch clutch, not sure I would have seen that if it were my trailer. That's why I love this forum great info from great people.
Dogfather to Yoshi our rescue German Shepherd
and Alley our husky mix rescue
Lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #7

Yes Clutch I have had that happen to me as well. That was the first thing I look for. I did not have anything running on propane at all, and all the burners were off. I am going to the dealer to get it changed out this weekend, not sure if they are going to test it?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #8

power convertor

i have a 246 jayco lite hawk that the convertor has stopped producing 12 v.where do I get it fixed?
souschef01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

souschef01
Any RV dealer should be able to replace a 12V converter.
You can also purchase same model off internet and replace yourself in probably 1 hour.
I just ordered one on the road, had it shipped to my next stop.
Took me about 20-30 minutes to change out.

FYI,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #10

Picked up and installed a new detector and all seems fine now. I am really hoping it was just a faulty detector and not a problem with my converter. Heading out the next two weekends, really hoping for trouble free trips for a change.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 228 View Post
Picked up and installed a new detector and all seems fine now. I am really hoping it was just a faulty detector and not a problem with my converter. Heading out the next two weekends, really hoping for trouble free trips for a change.
Have you tested the 12 volt system voltage while connected to 120 volt shore power as was suggested earlier? As was said, you should see around 13.5 VDC, or at least around 13 VDC while your trailer built in 120 volt AC powered 12 volt power supply/charger feeds the system.

The propane detector is powered by 12 VDC. All modern propane detectors have a low voltage monitor which will cause the detector to chirp when the battery/system power is low. When we picked up our 2001 23b the propane detector was chirping. To their credit, the dealer replaced the detector saying that they didn't want to take any chances. Since that time I needed to replace the battery because tests indicated that it was beyond any useful life. (Maybe the propane detector was cheaper for them than replacing the battery???) I think that our propane detector was fine and the battery low voltage was the real problem.

Anyway, turn on all your interior lights, get a meter, and check the actual voltage on your 12 volt DC system before you get stuck with a problem at a campsite. vic
Old 06-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #12

Thanks Vic. No I haven't. But the battery meter is still reading full after two weeks. I do have a disconnect on the battery, and it's not even a year old. I know that doesn't matter always but I am ruling it out for now. I will check it before the weekend just to be sure. Thanks.