Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #21
Site Team

I'm not concerned with the loss of equipment on the back rack, but I am concerned that anyone following the TT, if it decided to break-away could be severely hurt by things falling off at 60MPH.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
I'm not concerned with the loss of equipment on the back rack, but I am concerned that anyone following the TT, if it decided to break-away could be severely hurt by things falling off at 60MPH.

Don
I'm not either. The whole thing is solid. And it would take a lot for it to break away from the frame.
crtc_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #23

I'm not a welder, so my comment is made from an ignorant standpoint.
Just about every time anyone posts a photo of a weld, all the sidewalk supervisors come out of the woodwork and begin criticizing the welding job and submitting the same photo of welding problems. It is an almost guaranteed response. I think there was only one time where I saw someone comment that the weld job was done well.

Perhaps they are correct in their armchair quarterbacking. Perhaps not.
This post isn't a comment on the quality of the weld, but rather a comment on the almost guaranteed response to a weld photo.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Just about every time anyone posts a photo of a weld, all the sidewalk supervisors come out of the woodwork and begin criticizing the welding job and submitting the same photo of welding problems. It is an almost guaranteed response. I think there was only one time where I saw someone comment that the weld job was done well.

This post isn't a comment on the quality of the weld, but rather a comment on the almost guaranteed response to a weld photo.
Did it not occur to you that at least some of those people have had experience welding and know what they are talking about?
Old 07-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post

I trust this guys work. He's a family friend with 40years welding experience. Welds for a steel company for a living and has a super nice home shop with top of the line equipment. I didn't see anyone comment on the 20 plus other welds he did on the rack or bike carrier. Just the ugly ones that weren't smoothed out.
crtc_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtc_01 View Post
I trust this guys work. He's a family friend with 40years welding experience. Welds for a steel company for a living and has a super nice home shop with top of the line equipment. I didn't see anyone comment on the 20 plus other welds he did on the rack or bike carrier. Just the ugly ones that weren't smoothed out.
I have vast experience in the field and I did my due diligence and said what needed to be said. Just because he has nice equipment doesn't mean he's good. Your friendship influences your decision, but that guy would be let go the first day had he got a job at my business. It's not quality work.
I'll leave it at that- I'm just not willing to put other people at risk the way you are. Vibration wreaks havoc on bad welds, I learned that because I build expedition vehicles for archeologists and world explorers.
When you put out pics for the world to see, problems will get pointed out.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote