Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #1

dealing with delamination

I bought a 2007 jay feather 254 exp earlier this year. The front panel had some bubbling/delamination but everything appeared to be sealed up and the previous leak that caused the delamination had been fixed. I have not noticed any sign of leaks during 6 trips over the past 4 months. The problem I did run into though is that the front edge molding seemed to need to be recaulked. I ran it by a local rv dealer/shop prior to our longest road trip (850 round trip) and was told that the seams/molding/caulking looked good. Sure enough, 350 miles into the trip I noticed that the passenger side panel was pulling away from the molding and catching air (I was traveling at about 75 mph at the time). I immediately pulled over and taped it down with some packing tape I had in the truck. That seemed to suffice but the incident resulted in delamination (ripple) in the first 2 or 3 feet of the side panel.

My question is this. Should I pay a repair shop to try to pull back the front and side panel, spray an adhesive back on there and recaulk and replace the two front moldings... or, just get a roll of Eternabond and use that over the moldings and not spend the money on fighting an uphill battle against the ripple/delamination issue. As of right now we are not experiencing any leaks but I assume the current tape job is failing while in storage and moisture could be getting between the smooth side and the wood walls.

I want to do the right thing I just have read so many articles and posts about delamination that I'm not sure spending a thousand or more on this is prudent. Is there another solution?
[/SUB]
ElectroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:50 AM   #2

" just get a roll of Eternabond and use that over the moldings and not spend the money on fighting an uphill battle against the ripple/delamination issue."

^This. Damage is done already so just make the repairs yourself (if able) and enjoy.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #3

Towing @ 75mph? Might want to check the speed rating on your trailer tires. Most are only rated at 65 mph or less.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #4

I was pulling too fast. No doubt. Was trying to keep up with a couple buddies who were pulling pop ups. Lesson learned on that one. I am still taking it to the dealer for an estimate/recommendation and once over before two more long road trips.
[/SUB]
ElectroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delamination, eternabond, jay feather 254