Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #1

Dewinterizing ???

Ok I am new to having a tt... I have no clue how to dewinterize my tt.. It was winterized by the previous owner, but I didn't ask what to do to get it ready for the first trip. Well the first trip is coming up soon.... ( jay feather sport 165). Thanks for the help, Richard
shroomtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #2

You might want to refer to owners manual or do a web search. Each TT is different.
2007 Jayco Jayfeather 29A
Crackshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #3

The fist thing is to drain all Faucets, with the pump running, start to fill the water tank with fresh water, 5 gallons is plenty, run all faucets till drained. open pet c o c k on lower water tank drain. Then close faucets. Put 1 gallon of household bleach into water tank, then fill water tank, once its full, run each faucet until you smell bleach coming out, then close let it in there over night. in the morning drain from faucets, open pet **** drain tank. refill with clean water, drain from faucets. Next get 1 gallon of white vinegar dump in water tank fill with water drain from faucets and pet ****. fill with fresh water drain from faucets and pet c o c k . Now open shut off on water heater, make sure plug on outside of water heater is installed. Refill with water, taste from faucet if it tastes like vinegar dump water and refill. Your are now ready for camping.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #4

The basics ^ but im sure its advisable as Rodro has it to flush/sanitize your lines or at the very least run PLENTY of water through them.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #5

Read the manual.. The last owner might have closed the bypass valves to isolate the hot water tank.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #6

dont let any antifreeze enter your HW tanks. make sure its still closed before you start flushing things out. Go ahead and use one of those HW wand-thingies to flush out any gunk that might be in there while your at it. I presume its OK to run the bleach/water mixture through the HW tank and let it sit (correct me if im wrong)?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #7

I asked a guy I work with and he says he has never sanitized with bleach. The instructions I got from the dealer also says nothing about bleach. Any comments.

Thanx
Old 04-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #8

maybe if you plan on drinking water from the faucet.. we carry bottled water in our TT.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #9

1/4 cup bleach to every 15 gallons of water. It is in my owners book. Doesn't hurt to do it to kill the mold that builds up.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #10

I have to agree with the person who said read the manual. I didn't because I thought I knew it all last weekend and we sat at the campground for 3 hours trying to figure out why we didn't have hot water before I realised it was still in bypass for winterization. Once I fixed that, all was well.

Enjoy
JimboC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #11

To sanatize the water lines, water heater, and fresh water tank you need to use bleach. 1/4 cup to every 15 to 20 gallons of water is all that you need.

1. Open any low point drains to allow any antifreeze (some people just blow out the water lines with an air compressor) to drain from the water lines. Open the water faucets to allow the antifreeze to drain quicker.

2. Close all of the water faucets and low point drains. Mix 1/4 to 1/2 cup of regular bleach into a gallon of water. Pour the bleach water into your fresh water tank (make sure the drain on the tank is closed). Fill the fresh water tank with fresh water. While the tank is filling check to see if there is a by-pass on the water heater. The bi-pass takes the water heater out of the hot water loop. Depending on the type of by-pass you may have 1 to 3 valves to turn.

3. Turn the water pump on and open a faucet. When bleach water comes out of the faucet close that faucet and open another one. The pump will run for a while to fill the water heater. If you are not sure if you have the bi-pass "turned off", you can remove the drain plug from the water heater and see if there is water in the tank. Don't do this when the pump is running or you will give yourself a shower.

Make sure you run bleach water through all of your water lines, the toilet, shower and shower hose, kitchen sink, outside shower/hose, and out the city water line.

4. To sanitize the city water line turn the pump off, remove the strainer in the city water inlet. Behind the strainer you will see a plastic tip (it prevents back flow when using the fresh water tank). Push the tip in. The water pressure in the water lines will cause water to spray out of the city water connection.

5. Refill the fresh water tank so that the bleach water is in contact with all parts of the tank.

Let is sit for one hour or more. Drain the bleach water from the fresh water tank. Fill the fresh water tank with fresh water, then flush everything with fresh water. Repeat a second time with fresh water. If you smell bleach after flushing the tank and lines twice, pour some white vinegar into the fresh water tank and fill all of your water lines, water heater, freshwater tank.

The longer you leave the bleach water in the water system the harder it will be to get the bleach smell/taste out of the water. I let my system sit 1 to 2 hours and have never had to use vinegar. I have been doing this for 17 camping seasons and have never had a problem with my water system.

I hope this helps you sanitize your water system.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #12

Hey there, I'm really interested in where and or how to refill my hot water tank. I had it winterized at the dealer, took it out this weekend for the first time after winteriszing. No hot water. I read all the manuals and owners manul, nothing at all says how to fill it. Only says how to drain it, and the relief. And I think mine is new, 2011, I don't believe I have to lit a pilot? Hence, dry as a bone, I hope I didn't fry the electrical board? With the dealer and manufacturer being closed on the weekends, any suggestions?
torsiondrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Got to find your bypass valve. Water heater was bypassed when it was winterized.
justpassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:19 AM   #14

Where in the hell is the bypass valve?
torsiondrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #15

The bypass is on the water lines going into and out of your water heater. If you follow the water line from your freshwater tank, it will go to the lower fitting of your water heater. The hot water comes out the upper fitting of the water heater. Your bypass prevents water from going into the water heater, hence it "bypasses" the water heater. There are different types of bypasses, but usually you will have a couple of valves that you will open (one on the cold water in line and one on the hot water out line, and you may have a valve to close on the line that connects the cold and how water line when the water heater is being bypassed). You also need to have water in the freshwater tank, or have a hose connected to your city water hookup. Turn the hose or the water pump on and open a hot water faucet. The air in the water heater will need to be pushed out by the water that is going into the water heater. It will take a few minutes to get all of the air out. After the air is out and water comes out of the hot faucet you can turn your water heater on.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote