Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Do you grease your TRAILER ball?
yes 85 72.03%
no 33 27.97%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2015, 08:07 PM   #21

I use spray lithium grease on my ball...umm hitch...and it works great. Have shot a few guest's ball while working at campgrounds. They always appreciated it Guess the squeaky ball got the grease.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
So, I don't know, just spitballing here, but don't you think greasing your ball would result in an easier time hitching and unhitching? You mention that you've never had difficulty, then you talk about your difficulties.
Bought first TT in early 80's, never greased the hitch ball. Pulled numerous cargo trailers over the years without grease. Pulled numerous boat trailers sans grease. All of these with no issues related to hitching or unhitching. That all changed when I bought my previous TT. It was an absolute bear at times yet occasionally it would pull right off the hitch ball with no effort at all. I figured that particular ball receiver was somehow different, perhaps damaged. To me it seemed an anomally that the hitch was so hard to hook up. Greasing the ball never entered my mind.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #23

When you have two metal objects rubbing against each other, I would think common sense would suggest lubricating them somehow could only make the wear on those items, much less... I've had Rv's and cargo trailers for 45 years, always lubricated them on a regular basis, never had an issue hooking, unhooking, or just towing. Plus it prevents rust etc. Just my opinion.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ661 View Post
Bought first TT in early 80's, never greased the hitch ball. Pulled numerous cargo trailers over the years without grease. Pulled numerous boat trailers sans grease. All of these with no issues related to hitching or unhitching. That all changed when I bought my previous TT. It was an absolute bear at times yet occasionally it would pull right off the hitch ball with no effort at all. I figured that particular ball receiver was somehow different, perhaps damaged. To me it seemed an anomally that the hitch was so hard to hook up. Greasing the ball never entered my mind.
My brother never does any maintenance on any thing. He has to uncouple to open his rear hatch on his eurovan. A while back he could not as the latch was to dry, and rusty. I had to grab some spray lube and grease, out of my tt. Lubed it up good, and it has been working ever since.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #25

I used to have an Anderson hitch which called for no grease on the ball and I had difficulty unhitching. Sometimes very difficult!
I got rid of the hitch and went with a Blue Ox and have been greasing my ball and no more hitching problems.

Moral of the story.....

Dry ball=problems
Greased ball=no problems

Same trailer and coupler. The ball changed too I guess but.....
Old 02-04-2015, 01:01 AM   #26

Ive never greased my hitch, but i have had issues. One thing i find helps is to put chocks in the wheels and pull slightly forward so that the hitch ball sits towards the front of the coupler. Seems to do the trick. Also helps when coupling if you have trouble getting the latch to close around the ball. The odd time i still need to stand on the hitch to un-couple.

2013 Jayflight 25BHS Elite
TV: 2002 Chevrolet 1500HD Crew Cab 3.73 Gears
:Canada:
Elecchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #27

In today Good Sam EMail they were discussing maintenance of your hitch...this was one of the statements they made.

"
  • Hitch Ball and Trailer Coupler
The hitch ball and trailer coupler needs high-temperature grease to avoid grinding. You can find that grease at any Camping World store, but make sure to check with an RV technical expert if you’re not sure what kind of grease to get or how to re-lubricate it."

Old 03-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #28

Back to this issue again. I was able to get uncoupled one time only and the front of my car was up. I left the wt. dist. bar on and used it to jostle the hitch as one of you suggested. When I got to Florida, front of my car was down a bit. Took 2 guys, a crowbar, and me in the car keeping it in reverse to get it loose. (We also tried the method of leaving the hitch in the TT but that didn't work.) Today I am in basically a level spot though I guess my front wheels might be slightly down. I had used axle grease on the ball. I had to get someone to work the tongue while I had the car in reverse. When I felt it let go, I immediately let up and it went right back in. Second time I didn't let up and of course it went back into support which is dangerous but got it loose. So no way in a normal spot (much less a difficult one) am I going to unhitch this by myself. Someone mentioned that balls made outside of U.S might not have a good cut so slant might be a bit off and the dealer did replace the ball so that might be it. I have a Blue Ox system so it is pre-set on the tilt. I'm wondering if the rest of you who have a WhiteHawk have diffculty....I'm wondering if the hitch on this particular unit (21FBS) could actually be cut wrong. It certainly seems to have a large lip on that front edge enough such that the ball gets wedged in there.
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:17 PM   #29

Welcome. I came from the Forest River Forums as well!
I've never had to grease up...until I bought this Jayco. I've had the same problem trying to get loose. One time, it took 45 minutes of trying everything I could think of. I finally got pissed off and pulled the hitch pin and drove out of the receiver.

With my other trailers...I had the same type of Equalizer hitch with no problems. This Jayco coupler is built different. Two thumbs down from me. It still gives me trouble after a full year of use.

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
Welcome. I came from the Forest River Forums as well!
I've never had to grease up...until I bought this Jayco. I've had the same problem trying to get loose. One time, it took 45 minutes of trying everything I could think of. I finally got pissed off and pulled the hitch pin and drove out of the receiver.

With my other trailers...I had the same type of Equalizer hitch with no problems. This Jayco coupler is built different. Two thumbs down from me. It still gives me trouble after a full year of use.
I actually tried pulling the hitch pin but I've always had to lift my hitch a bit to get the pin to slide out and so we (I had the two guys who have travel trailers themselves) were unable to even get that to work. I think it's still set a bit too high and am going to lower it to see if that will help but you're saying what I'm thinking. I think there's something with this coupler that let's the ball wedge itself into the front of the coupler and the trailer is too heavy to get it out any way other than putting the car in reverse with the trailer supported on the lift and the only way to do that is for there to be two people or for the car to actually be front end up. I'll continue to work with it but if I can't unhitch myself, then I'll have to sell this camper because I have to be able to unhitch!
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:03 AM   #31
Lost in the Woods

Those that pull the hitch pin out of the receiver, are you able to remove the ball from the coupler once the stinger is out of the tow vehicle ? I am having the same problem removing my Propride hitch from the Jayco coupler to grease it.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote