Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2019, 01:19 PM   #1

Dirtbike on the Bumper

I looked around and haven't seen this question asked before.

I have a jayco jay flight 174BH. Previously I pulled the camper with my company pick up truck and would carry my dirt bike in the pick up. I have changed jobs and I no longer have the pick up truck. I would still like to be able to take my camper and my dirtbike in the same load and not take 2 cars. I have read about safety struts and the load capacity on them is 400lbs, so being my dirtbike weighs about 250 lbs I assume I should be fine. I have yet to see someone with a single axle travel trailer carrying a dirt bike on the back bumper. Does anyone have any insight? Can this be done?

I have thought of all different ways to do this and haven't found one yet that I am 100% OK with
FastCletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #2

I'm looking into my crystal ball, and will make my prediction when the spirits arrive. Okay, here they are. Some will say yes, and some will say no...the spirits have spoken.

I wouldn't do it. Gonna mess up the tongue weight for one thing. Safety struts or no, that's a bunch of weight back there. Add a bumpy road, and ugh. If it parts company from your rig, you might not even know it.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #3

250 lbs way back there has a lot of leverage.. And its more leverage than the same 250 lbs in your pickup bed..
The tail for sure would be wagging the horse.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCletus View Post
I looked around and haven't seen this question asked before.

I have a jayco jay flight 174BH. Previously I pulled the camper with my company pick up truck and would carry my dirt bike in the pick up. I have changed jobs and I no longer have the pick up truck. I would still like to be able to take my camper and my dirtbike in the same load and not take 2 cars. I have read about safety struts and the load capacity on them is 400lbs, so being my dirtbike weighs about 250 lbs I assume I should be fine. I have yet to see someone with a single axle travel trailer carrying a dirt bike on the back bumper. Does anyone have any insight? Can this be done?

I have thought of all different ways to do this and haven't found one yet that I am 100% OK with

Here is EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW!
Like all the post above said!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #5

Sounds like you need to go to your favorite man store aka The Blue Oval, The Bow Tie, Or the Male Sheep and get you a new truck. This may be a big P.I.A. but could you remove you battery and propane tank, bolt a piece of channel across the tongue and hook your battery and propane back up when you get to your destination. You could take your idea and mount them on the back and just leave them there.
Debdon Journeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #6

#1, The rear bumper WILL fall off, safety struts or not.
#2, The only way the rear bumper won't fall off is if you wreck and flip your trailer before the first bump... which likely will happen when you hang 250 lbs off the rear of a single axle trailer.

Do you need any more advice?
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #7

Yep, figured this was the answer. I think the only way to go is to #1 buy a new truck, and or #2 rent a truck whenenver I want to go campming and ride. Which isnt that bad.

Similar question. What about a 60lb generator? My generator wont fit through the door way and when I carry it in the SUV the dog barely has any room to move around.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #8

What you pulling your trailer with now ?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #9

I too would avoid the safety struts. I would have a reinforced hitch assembly installed. When my hitch was installed they welded a couple extra plates and gussets, to the trailer frame to spread the forces out. A traditional 2" receiver hitch would work with a good rack, Better yet a fully custom unit with two connection points, all reinforced to the TT's frame.

Also would also take a close look at your tongue weight after getting setup. A light tongue can cause some serious sway.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #10

I have a BMW X5.
Thanks for the responses
Old 06-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #11

It's best just to purge your mind of putting heavy objects on the back bumper. It's not built well enough for it. It would be the weight of the generator and the weight of the carrier.

Why such a big heavy generator? A 2000 watt will fit through the door.

Ditto on previous responder's suggestion of substantial upgrading of the frame if you plan to carry something back there. Not only so you don't lose your stuff, but think of the liability.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:16 AM   #12

As far as I can tell, the 174BH has a CCC of only 815 lbs. With the dirt bike, and a substantial, reinforced platform, that will leave you roughly 500 lbs for all the other stuff you bring camping. I can tell you, you are going to overload your axle in no time. Fixing a bent axle from overloading is expensive! Ask me how I know.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #13

I carried a dirt bike on the back of a single axle trailer for about 5 years now. I had a universal bumper hitch from princess auto and welded a bar to it that ran from side to side to both frame rails for support.
Never had an issue with tail wagging the dog at all.
However.........did have two tire blowouts. If you check the weight rating of the tires they are almost at the max with trailer weight alone.

Worked so good I just did the same setup on my new double axle trailer, which hopefully will support the weight better.
We go to a lot of motocross tracks that have no water, so have to fill up at home. Figure the weight of the full water tank gets balanced out by the dirt bike on back.
Anyway, works good for me.
Dalej88 is offline   Reply With Quote