Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #1

discontinued skylark?

Anyone have any real idea why the Skylark was discontinued? Was there something wrong with the trailer such as structural, safety etc. I love the trailer but am wondering if I should look for something else. I firmly believe Jayco owes it to owners to insure them that the unit is fit to be on the road.
Some rumors out there such as axle strength etc.
To be honest I love the unit and have had no major problems. If you have any information please feel free to share. THANKS
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Site Team

My thinking is that it just was not selling for them. If you look at our TT poll, there are only 12 votes here for the Skylark. That does not really indicate any problems with the units, for whatever reason they may not be what the public wanted....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #3

We have a 2012 Skylark just bought it brand new in July 2013. It is a higher priced unit and seems to be very well build and styled. I can see, however, that it would not be a good fit for a very large number of families because of the space and the price is more than most other trailers that would be suitable. For us, husband, wife and one dog and our TV the skylark fits very well and so we paid the higher price.

Now as long as Jayco, our dealer, honours the warranty we will be very happy.
Amateur Photographer
Family History Researcher
Former Canoe Camper & Retired Airline Pilot
tjerrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #4

We have a 2011 Skylark and love it. We had an issue with the heat pump not working, but it was handled under the warranty. As noted above the Skylark was a bit more pricey than similar sized units. With the recession we just went through RV sales plummeted and I suspect sales of the Skylark weren't what Jayco needed to continue production. The fact that the unit is "green" doesn't seem to appeal to many buyers. We like the LED lighting and huge amount of storage space. It is perfect for the two of us and the dog. Sleeping a family of four on an extended camping trip would be a bit challenging, particularly if there were a couple of days of rain.

I discovered that on our 21FKV that under the seat next to the main bed there is a large amount of space behind the wheel well, that can easily be accessed through the plywood cover. By removing the two screws that hold the plywood in place, cutting the plywood in half, and adding a piano hinge and putting in a finger hole you can gain more than 6 cubic feet of storage space simply by lifting the seat cushion. I also placed a 1/4" plywood partition on the front of this space to keep gear from moving forward over the wheel well. We use it to store our portable vacuum, extra dog food and an electric space heater we had to purchase on the trip where the heat pump failed. (Note: a 1,00 Watt electric heater will keep the Skylark at a comfortable 70 degree temp even when the outside temp drops below 25 degrees.)

I also added a LED light in the storage compartment under the main bed so you can find things in the dark. I used one of the four spare circuits in the fuse panel for power.
us71na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #5

I've only been using a camper since September of 2011 but have taken many trips in these two years. I've only seen ONE skylark in my dozens of trips. The clear favorites are Jay Flights and Ultra Lights with Eagles coming in third.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #6

IMHO - Skylarks have the best styling of any Jayco. While using the same conservative woodtones and fabrics, they mimicked scandanavian and european design with curved millwork and design....my favorite the FKV

[ATTACH][/ATTACH] [ATTACH][/ATTACH] [ATTACH][/ATTACH] Click image for larger version

Name:	thCAN2LP7I.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	9724 Name:  thCAXIGI6J.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  5.8 KB
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
IMHO - Skylarks have the best styling of any Jayco. While using the same conservative woodtones and fabrics, they mimicked scandanavian and european design with curved millwork and design....my favorite the FKV

[ATTACH][/ATTACH] [ATTACH][/ATTACH] [ATTACH][/ATTACH] Attachment 9724 Attachment 9725
n

If they don't sell they won't stay in production. Same thing happened with the INSIGNIA(class "A" diesel pusher) it only lasted a year because for a few dollars more you could buy bigger and better, THE ENTEGRA.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #8

Just had our Skylark in for a temporary fix to a leaking sunlight over the shower and to install a Reese WD 66151 hitch. A permanent fix to the leak will happen when the new sunlight comes in,this is covered on warranty. The service by our dealer was/is first rate.

As to the hitch, the tow with it was night/day difference, for the better, from no WD hitch. Again the service accorded was first rate.

We are very happy, in general, with this trailer and Jayco. Now to get the Girard hot water heater to give us water hot enough to wash dishes with!
Amateur Photographer
Family History Researcher
Former Canoe Camper & Retired Airline Pilot
tjerrard is offline   Reply With Quote