Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #1

Dodge Dakota and X17Z Possible?

Another one of those "can this tow that" questions, but I haven't been able to find an answer on this forum. I'm seriously considering purchasing a 2015 X17Z. I would be pulling it with a 2006 Dodge Dakota pickup, 3.7L 6-cyl. with a towing package. The book says it is good for 4400# which should be adequate, but I know that in real life, it could potentially be a problem. I have been pulling a Viking 2465ST popup (tired of popping up and down) that is the same length with a empty weight of 2568# with no real problems, but the X17Z is 3000# and 10' tall. Does anyone have any experience with this combination or something similar?
This is the only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger, but I don't want to have "buyers remorse" later when I find that I have a problem. I'm not a big-time camper; out 2-3 times a year with the longest distance of 500 miles. Any suggestions on the hitch? Just use the bare receiver hitch that I currently use? I have an electric brake module in the truck. Any help is appreciated!
rgeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome from Western NY! The biggest difference you'll notice, is you're pulling a bunch more wind with the TT. Had a '04 Tundra 4.7 V8 pulling a large Fleetwood Arcadia high side pop up. No problem, until we upgraded to a TT, and encountered some very long hills. Not wanting to really push the truck limits, we upgraded the TV to a 2010 Tundra with a 5.7 V8, and it doesn't strain on hills, or head winds. I hope others will chime on your set up question.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #3

Welcome!

I think you'd be fine. I'm assuming just you and one other person? Check the payload of your Dakota, sticker in the driver side door. You'll have a possible 455# tongue weight when loaded (X17Z has a 3500# GVWR, never go by the dry weight or as shipped weight). Subtract that from your payload. Subtract the weight of your passenger from payload, as well as anything else you carry in the truck.

Our old Trailblazer had an I6 with 4900# TC and 1200# payload. It handled our old '03 Kiwi 17a hybrid (ancestor to the X17Z) beautifully.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #4

I almost bought an x17z and I'm so glad I didn't. That being said, Jayco has messed with the models from year to year. The 2015 was apparently lighter than the 2016 which we almost bought. I've read on other forums of the x17z having a dry tongue weight of over 450lbs. With cargo, LP, batt it could be much, much more. I would weigh the trailer and tongue before buying to know what the actual weights are. When we had our dealer weight the tongue it was well in excess of 400lbs dry. In 2016 the CCC dropped to 415lbs, which is nothing. The one we were going to buy had an actual sticker CCC of only about 300lbs. I would be very leery of this model. From what I've read is that people do have remorse because they can't load anything in it and it's so heavy that they can't put anything in their TV either.

TV: 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4x
TT: 2016 174BH Baja Edition
schmittychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #5

I pull a 23B with a Dakota, and I am close on my limits. I have the 4.7L, 4x4, crew cab, with the tow package.

When I was researching my capability, I found the owners manual not being very helpful. I called Dodge (not the local dealer) up with my VIN number. The customer service rep was great. She looked up my specific vehicle information and gave me the straight answer, and how and what was included, I asked a lot of questions. For example, my memory on the subject is a bit rusty on the details, so verify with Dodge. They figure the tow rating on a vehicle based on the vehicle configuration, ie, cab, box, driveline, wheels, etc, plus the weight of an average driver (170#), plus a full tank of fuel. Absolutely nothing else in the vehicle. The configuration of my Dakota, has the lowest tow rating for the 4.7L engine.

My Dakota pulls our 23B just fine. When we switched from the OEM tires to another brand of the same size, my fuel economy dropped significantly. Open road doing 65mph, I'm now down to about 9.5 mpg, before I was close to 12.5 mpg. Which means I have to stop to refuel a lot more often.

I have pulled my brother's PU, and I do not even know that it is back there. With the 23B, I only know its back there because my slower acceleration.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote