Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #1

Does any have a 2014 jayco jay feather slx 16xrb

my local dealer has one with a 8000 btu window unit but with everyone telling of leaking problems I thought having a roof mount ac would be better
Tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Personally I don't care for and wouldn't own a TT with a side mount ac unit. Just my preference.
I still haven't been able to find an explanation for a side mount versus a rood mount unit. Cost to reinforce roof?

I have also read a lot of posts about those side mounts having leak problems.

Kind regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #3

I need to move this post this in the hybrid section
Old 09-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #4

i now they make the same model with a roof ac but i don't no if dealer would order one our what the price difference would be
Old 09-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
Personally I don't care for and wouldn't own a TT with a side mount ac unit. Just my preference.
I still haven't been able to find an explanation for a side mount versus a rood mount unit. Cost to reinforce roof?
I think the side mount AC is the right tool for the right job (5-8K BTU) for the 145, 154.... the space is small, the ceiling is low (6'-1") and there is not much roof space available....we would have lost our living space roof vent on our model (which we enjoy).

The wall mount design seems marginal for the 185....but again with a 6'-1" ceiling height, a roof mounted unit AC would probably be annoying blowing in your scalp and eyes everywhere you stand.

The 16XRB is a different animal....higher ceiling height, compartmentalized design (rear bunk space partially obstructed by the living space). Also...the roof mount AC is 13.5K whereas the wall mount is 8K....and (IMHO) you are going wish you had the extra BTUs considering the inefficiencies of (2) expandable bunk ends (if you camp in a warmer climates).
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #6

I have the 184 which is identical in size and floor space to the 185. only difference is the bed which the 184 doesn't have. the wall mounted ac works just fine
in this hot and humid environment we live. no inside leak issues in two yrs of ownership, works like it is intended too.

the industry explanation is for the aerodynamics of the side mounted vs the the air drag of the roof mounted. also it meets their standard of keeping
a low height profile for these trailers. that's part of their marketing strategy. only know what I read from their advertisements...I don't try too interpret
their reasoning...buy or don't buy. those are the consumers' choices...
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ah,
I thought maybe they were a lower profile TT.
That makes sense to me now. I never could find a good explanation.
Lower profile is something I would appreciate towing with my SUV :-)

Thanks for the info. Learn something new all the time here.

Happy camping,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #8

I have the 16XRB, and I have it with the 13,500 BTU AC. Can't speak to the 8K unit, but we're happy with ours.

No leaks or anything.
billycuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #9

We've got a 16xrb as well with the roof mounted A/C. Seems to work just fine although it is loud.

The air flow comes out directed both forward and backward. A side mounted unit would have trouble pushing air in those directions.
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #10

We have the 16xrb with the side mount A/C. We went camping in mid-90 degree weather with high humidity and the A/C had no issues keeping up. We also haven't had any issues with leaks.
thomes1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:04 AM   #11

Winter?

Has anyone used one of these in the winter? I'm thinking 30 degree nights (Texas). We are concerned that the pop out beds would be cold.
Cgruetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgruetz View Post
Has anyone used one of these in the winter? I'm thinking 30 degree nights (Texas). We are concerned that the pop out beds would be cold.
Assuming you have shore power, an electric mattress pad does wonders as you are sleeping on an un-insulated board.