Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2020, 01:34 PM   #1

Does smaller and cheaper have less recalls

Kind of wondering about this today. We have had some small issues but overall our 145RB doesn't seam to have any real problems. I don't see people posting in the Jayco lite/ULTT column about warranty issues or major problems. Maybe Bigger is NOT always better
Old 11-30-2020, 02:46 PM   #2
Site Team

As a general rule, the less equipment a unit has, the less chance there is of failure. Things like slide mechanism failures can't happen on non-slide units, power leveling jacks can't fail if they are manual, etc.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debdon Journeys View Post
Kind of wondering about this today. We have had some small issues but overall our 145RB doesn't seam to have any real problems. I don't see people posting in the Jayco lite/ULTT column about warranty issues or major problems. Maybe Bigger is NOT always better
You hear from people who have problems. Those without problems are frequently silent. A big manufacturer like Jayco has lots of complaints posted because they sell lots of units. If their quality was that bad, they'd be out of business. So far, I'm happy with my Jayco. No warranty issues.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:47 PM   #4

I agree smaller means less things to go wrong....I am one of those frequently silent guys. 2020 Talon. Had it out and about at least a dozen times this year. NO warranty issues. Very happy with the unit for its first season.
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #5

Well...IMHO...Our 2014/145RB had only one warranty repair which was an issue with the Norcold fridge. Our dealer quickly corrected the problem, but...our dealer was 3 hours away.
Also had a number of other issues that should have been warranty work. I'll not list the numerous problems that I have repaired myself. A number of years ago I worked in a Mobile Home Factory which helped teach me many of the skills necessary to fix-it myself. I would say that an owner of just about any TT needs to develop some skills and have some tools to deal with the wide variety of the on-going challenges that come with ownership of any TT. If not, the owner will be at the mercy of the sometimes un-skilled workers at some dealerships.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Recalls can happen with any size RV, expensive or not. As Midnightmoon mentioned above, the less technical the unit, the less to cause problems down the road IMHO. Ours has no slide, power awning, or power stab jacks. I did add a power tongue jack, but that's for the DW, and we're on the second one of those. I putter with upgrading things to make it just that much better. New tires, wet bolts, led tail lights, and tank sensors to name just a few. It's my therapy.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:00 PM   #7

Smaller and less physical plant (electric, plumbing, big slides/motors etc.) operations should have less problems - IMO. 2017 Jayco 19XUD. Must have been lucky. No major problems after 3 years.