Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2019, 09:24 PM   #1

Electrical Cord getting hot

My electrical cord always seems to get very hot when plugged into the pedestal. I really only run the supplied appliances and a/c is set on auto so it doesn't run all of the time.

The cord gets pretty pliable and the prongs are starting to show wear. I check amps when stuff is running and I am not exceeding 30 amps.

Any suggestions, and is there a point when corday need to be replaced, rv is a 2012.
Eaglechief_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:03 AM   #2

I have found several pedestal receptacles (30amp) are excessively worn. Some internally and not visible. I have in the past had to run an extension to another pedestal. We now run only 50amp (if available) with a reducer if needed and of course a surge protector that has lights to show all is good.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:53 AM   #3

Is your cord coiled up?
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:35 PM   #4

My cord gets hot when I'm not using any power if it is in the sun.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:56 PM   #5

In the sun is the ONLY time my cord gets warm/hot. So I try to keep as much of it in the shade as possible.

I would carefully inspect the ends of the cord as well as the pedestal. It's not terribly difficult to replace the ends of these cords. Even replacement of the entire cord isn't cost-prohibitive IMO. Cords don't last forever, especially when they're subjected to the kind of abuse RVers tend to put them through (plugging into questionable pedestals, dragging through the dirt, "hot plugging", routinely running at high load, etc.)

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:44 PM   #6

My first question... is the cord hot along the entire cord??? or just at the ends of the cord (where it is plugged in?)

Many cords will develop poor connections to the contact lugs that insert into the pedestal receptacle. You could just replace the cord end if that is the case.

If the entire cord is getting hot (and not laying in the sun) I would look into replacing it with a properly sized cord for the load / length.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #7

Is your cord wound up at all? or is it extended. This issue happened to my brother in law with a 100' 14/2 cord wrapped around a reel and plugged into an electric Turkey fryer. The fryer draws a lot of juice and he only had about 15' of cord used from the reel to the cooker. You could smell the lead getting hot!!!! Not to mention it was so hot you could not pick the dang thing up. Don't know why the GFCI didn't trip. Had to be close though!!
Old 05-28-2019, 07:26 PM   #8

It is the plug itself.

I pull the cord completely out of the storage bin in the side of thAmos. It is not coiled up.

I always shut off the breaker before plugging in and unplugging.

The heat has slowly melted the plastic around the straight prongs and the prong are discolored. As a rule I am not exceeding 30 amps.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglechief_13 View Post
It is the plug itself.

I pull the cord completely out of the storage bin in the side of thAmos. It is not coiled up.

I always shut off the breaker before plugging in and unplugging.

The heat has slowly melted the plastic around the straight prongs and the prong are discolored. As a rule I am not exceeding 30 amps.
I hope it's a fairly rare occurrence, but the plug on my MH had a loose crimp on the inside of the plug. I had to cut it open to verify this but it was an interesting find.

If your plug has been melted by overheating, you need to replace it. You can get them on Amazon or big box stores like Lowes or Home Depot.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
I hope it's a fairly rare occurrence, but the plug on my MH had a loose crimp on the inside of the plug. I had to cut it open to verify this but it was an interesting find.

If your plug has been melted by overheating, you need to replace it. You can get them on Amazon or big box stores like Lowes or Home Depot.
^ ^ ^^^^^^^
What Hoppers4 said is right on the money. Cut the end of the cord at least 6" back so that you don't connect the new plug end on wires that have been damaged due to the heat of a poor connection. You should not have to replace the entire cord... only where it was damaged by the bad connection.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #11

+1 to cutting the end off and replacing it.

I also agree that if the entire length of the cord gets hot, it's time to replace the entire thing.

I carry a 50A adapter as well. As others have mentioned, the 30A plug on most pedestals gets more use/abuse than the 50A side. If the 30A side looks sketchy, I just throw the dogbone adapter on and use the 50A side. It's easy for me because I have 50A at the house that was installed for my TT that ran 50A; now my MH runs 30A, so I keep the dogbone handy at all times.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote