Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2022, 07:58 PM   #1

First night ever in TT— question on Battery

So we got our TT a few weeks ago— did some modifications and finally out today/ tonight for first night out— first night ever. We are in our 70’s trying to figure this out. We seem to be having problems with the battery getting too low. It’s just a normal led acid battery Interstate I think.
Last night I had the TT hooked up to a 30 amp outlet I had installed at the house.
Battery was charged up to 13.6 before we left.
We arrived at our campsite about 3:30.
It took us almost 90 minutes to set up.
But it was done. It was hot in midFlorida, so it took about 30-45 minutes for inside of the TT to be comfortable.
I noticed the solar charge controller showed battery at about 12.2 and it worked it’s way down to 11.6 by around 8:30. That seems too low to me.
Just to confirm— primary 12 v charges in my 199 Micro should be lights, 12v Furrion fridge and the TV. Is that correct— anything else?
We did have somewhat of an overcast afternoon and we are surrounded by trees. So solar probably did not kick in like normal.
Are the above items drawing enough for the battery to get that low?It had gotten down to 11.6 like I said but somehow it’s backed to 11.9 at 9:45 at night. ( not sure how that happened?)
Is this normal. Is there anything I can do?
Or is this par for the course, and it gets recharged back to home by the truck and better sunlight? I have a long 6 week outing in 2 weeks and I’m afraid if I take it in to the dealers, they’ll keep it for 3-4 weeks, so hoping this is not a big problem.
Thanks, Larry
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:00 AM   #2

If I am reading this correctly, and you are using solar at the camp ground, and not shore power, then based upon your outside temperature and your use of the fan to cool the trailer, your numbers sound correct. My guess is that you ran the battery down while you were cooling the trailer down. We start at dusk at about 12.2 and if we use the lights, the refrigerator and the heater (even for a short period period, we have to recharge the battery every morning.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:12 AM   #3

No, I was connected to shore power.
Solar wasn’t charging due to overcast days plus trees surrounding us.. I have a 30 amp rig. AC is about 14-16 amp.. I would have thought it would have still be recharging the battery .
Old 08-18-2022, 05:58 AM   #4

Yes, it should charge from the shore power. The charger is in the panel with the 120V breakers. Make sure the 15A breaker for it is on, and the 30A fuse is not blown (it is in the same panel). Getting down below 12V can really shorten your battery's life.

The 12V refrigerator is a big power draw. The Maxx Aire fan is probably the next biggest, follwed by the TV. When you are on shore power the charger should still have enough to bring the battery up.

Even overcast and a lot farther north than you are I get some charge from the solar panel. I really wanted the 12V refrigerator, but I knew going in that I would want more power. My dealer installed two interstates that I sold right away on Craigslist, then put in 2 100AH lithiums and another solar panel. Hard to have too much 12V power!

Your solar controller can show you more than just voltage, it can show you amps also. If there is a problem with the connections from the roof (not unheard of) you will see voltage, but no amps.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:06 AM   #5

IF connected to shore power your battery should be charging by the power converter. Make sure breakers are on, fuses not blown. You should be seeing 13+ volts when plugged in.

"Just to confirm— primary 12 v charges in my 199 Micro should be lights, 12v Furrion fridge and the TV. Is that correct— anything else?"
TV may not be 12v, not sure of model. 12v is usually also used for water pump, furnace and water heater control, roof vent fans, any slide out or awning motors, powered jacks or leveling system.

Likely you don't have enough solar to keep that 12v fridge and all 12v loads going, but if plugged in shore power will be plenty.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:42 AM   #6

Check the breakaway switch on the front of the trailer if the pin pulled out of the switch the brake magnets will be on. Mine did and the converter fan ran on hi speed all day and night. I was drawing 11 amps out of the battery with the brakes on. I believe the amp reading on the solar controller is how much amperage the panel is producing.
2018 Lexus GX 460
Echo Brake Controller
Gary207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary207 View Post
Check the breakaway switch on the front of the trailer if the pin pulled out of the switch the brake magnets will be on. Mine did and the converter fan ran on hi speed all day and night. I was drawing 11 amps out of the battery with the brakes on. I believe the amp reading on the solar controller is how much amperage the panel is producing.
This might be a possibility. How would I know and how is it fixed ?
Old 08-18-2022, 09:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary207 View Post
I believe the amp reading on the solar controller is how much amperage the panel is producing.
Correct. The voltage is read from the battery connection to the controller, but amps are amps flowing through the controller. Bad connections either at the roof or at the back of the controller from the roof will show no amps. In that case the backlight should be on and the panel led indicator should be flashing. If it is charging the panel led should be on continuously, red.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

Old 08-18-2022, 09:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
This might be a possibility. How would I know and how is it fixed ?
You should see the pin pulled out or not. It is mounted to the bottom of the tongue frame, with a narrow cable connected to it that you connect to your tow cable.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBr View Post
You should see the pin pulled out or not. It is mounted to the bottom of the tongue frame, with a narrow cable connected to it that you connect to your tow cable.
I have a closeup picture but don’t know how to post a pic on this site. Maybe it’s been pulled out. Never had looked closely at it before.If it is out, can it simply be pushed back in?
Old 08-18-2022, 10:52 AM   #11

Quote:
If it is out, can it simply be pushed back in?
Yes. It is not harmed by being pulled out. For pictures, in the reply box below click on the Go Advanced button then the paper clip icon at the top. (Note, when you quote an answer it automatically goes Advanced).

Old 08-18-2022, 10:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Yes. It is not harmed by being pulled out. For pictures, in the reply box below click on the Go Advanced button then the paper clip icon at the top. (Note, when you quote an answer it automatically goes Advanced).
I would suggest that a better wording would be "should not be harmed". I say this because over the many years I have been RV'ing, I have damaged several brake-away switches when attempting to re-insert the pin. I highly recommend not pulling the pin while RV'ing and instead do so with plenty of time to replace it if it fails (carry a spare).

To the OP, if the pin is flush with the body of the switch, then that is what should be expected. I am not on the same thought that this is your problem as if it was the switch would be noticeably hot (as long as the TT battery is not overly discharged). I suspect that you are simply using more 12v power than you are replacing. ~CA
Old 08-18-2022, 11:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Where is the Go advanced button? I’ve clicked everything above. Sorry I have a closeup pic just wanted confirmation if it already has been pulled out.
fwiw !if it was out, I couldn’t push it back in with my hands alone, but then again I’m a 70 year old man. So maybe it not out yet ?
Old 08-18-2022, 12:13 PM   #14

Quote:
I’m a 70 year old man.
Hey, I'm 75! When you quoted, the "Go Advanced" button no longer exists. As I said, when you quote, Advanced IS what you see, and at the top is a paperclip icon for attachments.

If you look now, before replying, farther down the page is a "Quick Reply" box and the "Go Advanced" is below that. Use that when not quoting.

Old 08-18-2022, 12:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I would suggest that a better wording would be "should not be harmed".
I won't disagree, but; I've never removed a pin over my years, intentional or otherwise (most was with a toad), but I certainly have seen people do it deliberately to hold a vehicle in place, short term. How often they did it, or if it ever failed, I have no way of knowing.

Old 08-18-2022, 12:30 PM   #16

Quote:
I won't disagree, but; I've never removed a pin over my years, intentional or otherwise (most was with a toad), but I certainly have seen people do it deliberately to hold a vehicle in place, short term. How often they did it, or if it ever failed, I have no way of knowing.

I have never left it removed for any extended period of time. Just long enough to test it. ~CA
Old 08-18-2022, 04:34 PM   #17

That pin should be fully seated. If it's out, your electric brakes are ON.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:55 PM   #18

So short answer , my pin was never out, so the trailer breakaway switch is fine, it wasn’t the problem with the battery draw, must be something else.