Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmurphy View Post
Found a new 2012 GMC Sierra 2500 4WD Ext Cab Long Box at a local dealer for $10K off the $41K price tag. Will pick it up Wednesday. Time to remove all the goodies off the current truck. . ..
Gee, maybe I'm ahead the game keeping my paid for Ram 3500. Towing a fifth wheel that weighed more than twice our WhiteHawk I never saw a tranny temp higher than 200 degrees. Was thinking of trading down to a half ton in a couple of years, but now....................
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk 96 View Post
My 27 DSRL has a toungue weight of 720 lbs from CAT scale. Trailer axle weight of 5960. Total trailer weight of 6680. Weight from factory was 5834. So additional cargo is about 850 with a half tank of freshwater accounting for about 150# of that weight. Very surprised that your truck is at at GVWR with nothing in it. Somethin' ain't right! My whole rig is 12400 with GCVWR 16000. However it would seem that you are wize in getting a bigger truck.
Two different CAT scales gave two different weights for the truck: 6920 and 6620. Both weights included me & my buddy, full tank of gas, but nothing in the truck bed except the toolbox & headache rack. Jayco says a fully loaded 27 White Hawk DSRL will weigh 7500 lbs, with 975 lbs transferring to the TV. So, even using the lesser of the two CAT weights would put the truck over it's 7000 GVWR with the loaded trailer attached. Plus, I want to put stuff in the bed that will add even more weight. After mulling these numbers over and talking with some other RV owners, I decided to play it safe and upgrade the truck to a 3/4 ton. ....

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote