Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #1

First time for spring start up

So this is my first year really starting up our TT. We bought it last year and the dealership had it all ready when we brought it home. I spoke to the dealer about bringing it in for spring inspections, etc.

I am a little perplexed about the "service" on the TT. It seems like every time I call about having the dealership service check something it is never less than $300.00. I read the forums and think because of my handyman skills, and friends that have TT, that I can probably do most stuff myself.

Can I get a little advice on what NEEDS to be done each year and what dealerships WANT to make money off of you on? I own a 2012 White Hawk that is in excellent shape. Roof looks good, tires look good, checked the lugs and they are tight - do I have to repack wheel bearing every year, etc.

This forum is great and has helped me a lot. It has been a long winter and I am ready to get the RV out but want to make sure it is in prime shape and I don't miss anything. Thanks in advance.
Eaglechief_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
Site Team

I would recommend a roof inspection several times a year. Check very closely every seam on the roof for cracked caulk joints. Touch up as needed. Verify there are no tears on the roof fabric. Clean the roof per manufacturer instruction. You will be much more likely to head off a problem and save your self a couple hundred dollars.

If you use your rig heavily, I would pack or have the wheel bearings packed annually. Many people go 2 or even more years.

Inspect tires regularly for cracks or damage. Adjust air pressure before every trip and more often if you have concerns. Look the tires over every time you stop at a rest area for bulges and separation. Some even use a laser temperature gauge to monitor temperatures and others like me use a TPMS to monitor the temp and pressure real time.

Check out all systems on the camper at the beginning of the season and keep things clean.

Your camper will provide you many years of enjoyment.

Maybe others will give you some more helpful tips.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:47 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
With your handyman skills you can do all the maintenance skills yourself. Stay away from the dealers unless you have a money tree in your back yard. Just read the manuals on your particular model and check on this forum if you have questions. Make the unit your own and you will have happy years while owning it. Wheel bearing greasing I do every other year. I keep a mileage log so I know how many miles the unit is on the road.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote