Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #11

On my 184BH we have dual battery and can easily go 4 days being conservative. Propane is totally based on heater use. The fridge, stove and water heater only use a small amount. Personally we turn off the heater at night and add some extra blankets. If it gets really cold (last week it got to 24 overnight in Yellowstone) we get up and flip it on. It is fairly loud so w like to keep it off if we can.

The #1 limit we have is our black tank. Much over 2 nights and we are getting to a dumping point.

BrettSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #12

The only thing I would add (maybe someone else said something) but I personally would stick with the 2 - 20lb tanks vs 1 - 30. I live in MI and I rarely, about 1 time per year on average, have to go fill one of my tanks. I have 30 lb tanks, and we do a lot of off season camping and run the furnace a lot. Stove and fridge barely burn any propane. You could run for a couple years on a tank if you didn't use the furnace. Nice thing about dual tanks is that if you only open one at a time, when it runs out you know you have 50% propane level overall. Then you switch to the other and continue on and refill the empty one when you get around to it. If you have a single tank or two and leave both open, then if you need it, you HAVE to get it filled very soon. Those gauges don't seem to work. Mine never moves from green until its empty then it drops. Also, you will have to check it every couple of days to know. I used a guage and still ran a tank dry in the middle of the night hours after peeking at the guage.

Moral of the story, guage sucks, and dual tanks with one on at a time works the best IMO.

UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #13

We live in a much colder climate than you and have a hybrid. We barely go through two 20 lb tanks of propane per season. And we use the heat a lot. We don't boon dock anymore however so I can't tell you how much the fridge uses. Two tanks will fit, and the mod is fairly easy, but you'll need a different base. I did this conversion on a pop-up many years ago. Most likely yours is bolted down and it easily replaceable. You'll also need a dual tank regulator. Keep in mind that this will also increase your tongue weight.

Some who boon dock replace their single 12 volt battery with two 6 volt batteries. They say they last longer without needing a recharge. I'm not sure you have room for that, but I've seen some clever mods where they put them under a seat inside or similar.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #14

Argh! Took the camper out twice this weekend. Had a rough road going to the place on night #2 and I must have grazed the ground. Bent the crap out of the freshwater low point drain bracket!

On that subject, the Jayco "universal" manual states you can fill the fresh tank using the city connection, but looking at the plumbing it doesn't appear possible. Unless of course there's a way to run the water pump in reverse...

I do already have a new 20lb propane tank that I used with my Mister Heater big buddy, because you quickly discover that even with two smaller propane tanks connected that it sucks the gas out so fast they freeze up, plus little ones don't last long on high. So anyway I'll take that with me in the future until I find out how to do that bracket mod.

First pair of LED lights from china arrived today, will report back with how they are. The specs say 8 lumens each, so with 36 LEDs that means about 288. Not sure how many the stock halogens are.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180754222465
dj-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #15

The LEDs are great! Not as bright as the factory halogens but they are probably 90% there. Plus the converter fan stays off! I have 48 LED panels coming too so we'll see the difference in brightness. Oddly enough the 48s were cheaper, but the listing does not state how many lumens. Here is a link to that listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200751678998
Old 09-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #16

You'll love those cheap LEDs. I put them in not because I was concerned about wattage, but because of the heat the standard bulbs put out. For the price you really can't go wrong.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
You'll love those cheap LEDs. I put them in not because I was concerned about wattage, but because of the heat the standard bulbs put out. For the price you really can't go wrong.
Yes exactly! I probably won't be doing any serious boondocking to need the electricity, but those stock bulbs make the fixtures so hot!
Old 09-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post

That's exactly why I'm switching to LED. Here in TX, I have enough heat, I don't need to generate more!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote