Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #1

First time winterizing my 2016 Jay Feather X23B - water pump valve and bypass ?'s

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on winterizing my 2016 Jayco Jay Feather X23B myself this year and had some questions that I hope you can answer for me.
  1. How should the valves be on the water pump? I found the pump under the fridge and it's easily accessible. See the pictures below. I'm pretty sure I need to open the valve with the clear PVC tube to allow the flow of antifreeze. However, how should the other valve be? Is it ok as is or should I turn it the other way? Not sure if it's in the right position.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...icture9077.jpg

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...icture9078.jpg

2. I believe I need to bypass the hot water tank so it doesn't fill with antifreeze correct? In order to access behind it I need to remove these screws. Any idea what type of screw head this is? Also, once I have access to the back of the water heater, is it self explanatory of how to bypass it? I'm assuming I'll see more valves.

Any other X23B owners out there that have winterized before that could help me? Thanks!
2014 Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Lite X17Z (traded in)
scottystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
Site Team

To winterize with the pump, turn the valve in line, by the clear suction tube. The other valve should be closed for the process, as it should be the suction line from the fresh water tank. Those screws are easily removed with a #2 square drive screwdriver, or secondly, but not as easy with a #2 Phillips. The square drives are readily available.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:47 PM   #3

Awesome, thanks! So it looks like the other valve to the fresh water tank is already in the closed position given it's perpendicular to the tube correct?

I'm sure I have a #2 square drive laying around somewhere, thanks. Anxious to see what the back of the hot water tank looks like. I'll need to switch some valve(s) to bypass the hot water tank from filling with antifreeze right?
Old 10-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #4

yes 2 going in and out of heater should be turned off and one to allow water to cross over should be turned on. also make sure before you go to switch the valves to relieve pressure in lines by opening a faucet. they can be broken easily.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #5

closed is cross with the tube open is inline with the tube
Old 10-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #6

Cool, so valve to clear PVC should be switched to open to winterize and keep the other one in the closed position like it is now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
closed is cross with the tube open is inline with the tube
Old 10-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #7
Site Team

You might find the first posts in this thread helpful.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...12-a-9335.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:47 AM   #8

Question

Hopefully not hijacking but I have a quick x213 winterizing question...

Where are the low point drains on the x213? I see the sticker on the back right which appears to be for the fresh water tank. Are there any others?
yrless11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrless11 View Post
Hopefully not hijacking but I have a quick x213 winterizing question...

Where are the low point drains on the x213? I see the sticker on the back right which appears to be for the fresh water tank. Are there any others?
Found the low point drains. They are in the small cabinet under the fridge.
yrless11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #10

UPDATE - hey everyone, I was able to bypass the hot water tank just fine, but when I flipped on the pump to suck the antifreeze from the bottle, it didn't have enough suction and the antifreeze didn't come up the tube like I was expecting. I noticed a small kink in the hose so I figured that was the problem. After fixing the kink, I tried again, but this time the pump wouldn't turn on! I checked breakers and fuses, but everything was fine and the pump still won't come on. Could I have possibly burnt out the pump from being on for only 10 seconds or so? I hope not. Maybe it was shot from the beginning given it didn't have enough suction in the first place?

Now I have to bring it into the dealer unless someone here can help figure out what's going on. Any ideas or things I should try?
Old 11-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #11

UPDATE (again) - I'm stupid. Opening the faucet did the trick and everything is working as expected. I was able to winterize the trailer in about 10 minutes, sweet! I didn't realize the pump is more of an on-demand thing that only comes on when it needs to.

Should I be concerned about the small amount of water that went into the gray and black tanks when I was pulling antifreeze through the lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottystang View Post
UPDATE - hey everyone, I was able to bypass the hot water tank just fine, but when I flipped on the pump to suck the antifreeze from the bottle, it didn't have enough suction and the antifreeze didn't come up the tube like I was expecting. I noticed a small kink in the hose so I figured that was the problem. After fixing the kink, I tried again, but this time the pump wouldn't turn on! I checked breakers and fuses, but everything was fine and the pump still won't come on. Could I have possibly burnt out the pump from being on for only 10 seconds or so? I hope not. Maybe it was shot from the beginning given it didn't have enough suction in the first place?

Now I have to bring it into the dealer unless someone here can help figure out what's going on. Any ideas or things I should try?
Old 11-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottystang View Post
snip... Opening the faucet did the trick and everything is working as expected.
I was able to winterize the trailer in about 10 minutes, sweet!

I didn't realize the pump is more of an on-demand thing that only comes on when it needs to.

Should I be concerned about the small amount of water that went into the gray and black tanks when I was pulling antifreeze through the lines?
No. It shouldn't be a problem. If those tanks were drained before, then there won't be enough water to break anything when it freezes and expands.

As insurance, some folks put additional antifreeze in the gray and black tanks and some drain the gray and black tanks into a bucket.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #13

no water pressure

tried to winterize my hummingbird rk. I emptied the water heater opened and closed the low point drains. Went into the TT and turned the the bypass on under the bed. Put the clear hose in the antifreeze and turned on the water pump, opened the faucets and barely anything came out....very slow like a tiny stream of water then the pump turned off. I turned on the faucets again and still just a steady stream no pump action just a dribble of water.
Interesting enough I thought about the outside shower so I went out to turn it on and when I did the pump came on and stayed on....and antifreeze was coming out strong. Then I turned the shower off thinking I had remedied the problem went back into the TT but the pump went off as soon as I turned the shower off. Then the kitchen sink opened up pretty good but the pump still wasn't pulling antifreeze it would only pull it when i turned the outside shower on. Then I went inside and tried the shower and bathroom faucets, dribbles....and nothing in the toilet. I collected the outside shower antifreeze in a bucket and poured that in the traps and the toilet. Does anyone know why this would happen. And has anyone tried to replace the nylon cap in the hot water tank with brass petcock model. Thanks
This is my first time
lumana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #14

Hello, I just purchased my first camper, a 2018 X23B this summer. I need to winterize it and have been reading up on the issue. I need to locate the water heater supply lines to see if I need to install a bypass. Can you tell me where you found yours? Much thanks.
AJfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #15

Congratulations on your first camper and welcome to the forum.

The bypass plumbing is usually at the rear of the water heater. It is installed at the factory, not by you.

The 'bypass valves' can be set by you for water supply to either flow through the water heater or bypass it. Bypassing the water heater is done so that, when filling the water lines with antifreeze, it will bypass the water heater. Not filling the water heater with antifreeze saves money.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #16

Thanks for the reply. I am having trouble understanding how to get at the water heater. I know where the panel is located on the outside of the trailer, but any tips on getting to it to have a look at the valves and water lines(presumably from inside the trailer)? Do I need to remove certain panels around the dinette seating?
AJfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bypassing hot water tank, valves, winterize, winterizing, x23b