Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #1

First Trip Completed in the Jayco 17 Z

We just completed our first trip in the Jayco 17 Z. We spent 7 nights at Douthat State Park (VA). As posted previously, we downsized from a Class A motorhome. To sum it up, I wished I had done this years ago. We had a great time and the little Jayco worked very well for us. There is alot to be said for going smaller and simpler.

Can't wait to go out again.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #2

We were going the opposite direction, went from a pop-up to a travel trailer. We looked at the 17Z and I liked it a lot but the DW wanted to get away from the canvas. I personally think it is the best of both worlds.

Good luck and safe travels!
Beau (Hound mix)
----------------------------
2015 Jay Flight Swift SLX 185RB
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
JayRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #3

We too downsized from many years of big class A's. Should have done it years ago. Our little 2009 JayFlight 22FB is so easy, so much fun, and a joy to really live the camping life. And fellow campers seem to be much friendlier now.
hammerdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #4

Nice set up -- I bet your van that thing like champ!

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #5

Question Jayco 199 vs 17Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRidge View Post
We were going the opposite direction, went from a pop-up to a travel trailer. We looked at the 17Z and I liked it a lot but the DW wanted to get away from the canvas. I personally think it is the best of both worlds.

Good luck and safe travels!
Are you pulling the 199 with a Honda Ridgeline. How many pounds is the Honda rated to pull. I just looked at a 2,011 and it said only 5,000 lbs towing capacity for the Ridgeline. My Nissan Xterra has the same, 5,000 lbs., and we are afraid the 199 is too much weight for it. We saw the 199 and loved it but the weight put us off. We looked at the 17 Z today and might buy it but would rather get the 199. Please let me know what you are towing it with and if it tows well.

Thanks,

Sabina
Sabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #6

We towed a FR r-Pod 177 with our '06 Ridgeline. (GVW 2,436)
We were under-powered. It felt as if we were towing something much heavier, and our MPG was half of what we get not towing.(expected)
IMHO I believe that the 3500 to 5000 towing vehicles are over rated.
Of course this may vary depending on cargo, passengers, tanks empty/full, and road/weather conditions.

IMHO, with the towing experience I have (not much), I wouldn't tow anything over 2000lbs without at least a small block V8.

Just my opinion !!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #7

Thanks, I better stick with the 17 Z or 17 C. I can't afford to change my tow vehicle. We bought it expressly because the saleman we bought it from swore it was a great towing machine. My husband wanted a truck but I wanted something more comfortable to put my grandkids in so we settled for the SUV. Neither me nor hubby knew anything about towing - he just always wanted a truck, any truck. He thought they all towed well. He would have bought the Ridgeline.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #8

He doesn't know what his missing these F150 super crew cabs are nice-- seats 5 and tows bricks on wheels easy. Anyways, you got what you got-- so when are you going to pull the trigger on that hybrid?

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabina View Post
Are you pulling the 199 with a Honda Ridgeline. How many pounds is the Honda rated to pull. I just looked at a 2,011 and it said only 5,000 lbs towing capacity for the Ridgeline. My Nissan Xterra has the same, 5,000 lbs., and we are afraid the 199 is too much weight for it. We saw the 199 and loved it but the weight put us off. We looked at the 17 Z today and might buy it but would rather get the 199. Please let me know what you are towing it with and if it tows well.

Thanks,

Sabina
I'm towing a 2009 Jay Feather 197 with a 2009 Ridgeline (rated for max 5000 lbs.). The 197 was discontinued after 2009 and weighs slightly less than the 199. The 197 doesn't have the slide-out. I've towed over 4000 miles this summer from upstate NY to Florida, Cape Cod and the Green Mountains of Vermont. Loaded for camping and ready to go my trailer weighs 3990 lbs. with a 450 lb tongue weight. I've averaged 12+ mpg and I'm satisfied with the way my truck tows. You know there is a load, but I keep it around 60 on the interstate. I lose a little speed on the hills but as long as I keep right I haven't had any problems. I have a Prodigy brake controller and would recommend that no matter what you decide.

The general rule of thumb, as I understand it, is that you should not exceed 80% of the max rating. For my tow vehicle that means 4000 lbs. I bought the Ridgeline for more reasons than to tow my trailer, but that's a topic for another discussion.

I hope I've answered your question.
Beau (Hound mix)
----------------------------
2015 Jay Flight Swift SLX 185RB
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
JayRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #10

Bought 17C, Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRidge View Post
I'm towing a 2009 Jay Feather 197 with a 2009 Ridgeline (rated for max 5000 lbs.). The 197 was discontinued after 2009 and weighs slightly less than the 199. The 197 doesn't have the slide-out. I've towed over 4000 miles this summer from upstate NY to Florida, Cape Cod and the Green Mountains of Vermont. Loaded for camping and ready to go my trailer weighs 3990 lbs. with a 450 lb tongue weight. I've averaged 12+ mpg and I'm satisfied with the way my truck tows. You know there is a load, but I keep it around 60 on the interstate. I lose a little speed on the hills but as long as I keep right I haven't had any problems. I have a Prodigy brake controller and would recommend that no matter what you decide.

The general rule of thumb, as I understand it, is that you should not exceed 80% of the max rating. For my tow vehicle that means 4000 lbs. I bought the Ridgeline for more reasons than to tow my trailer, but that's a topic for another discussion.

I hope I've answered your question.
I see you live in Kingston, a little more than an hour from me here in Goshen. Thanks for your reply about towing the 199. We wound up buying the 17C and love it. Husband practiced and can now back it in like a pro so we are ready to go. Husband said he did not even feel tow vehicle on our way home from Albany RV. On our first outing we want to camp close to home. Do you have any ideas on a good campground in your area (within 2 hours driving, either way) that has hookups? We are hoping for a campground that has large sites and scenic hiking or is near a good scenic hiking area.