Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #1

First Wash

Hey all..

Washed the TT (2008 Jayco JayFeather Sport 165) for the first time this past week-end and of course the noob has some questions. I bought this Camco RV wash/wax and awning wash from Wally World. The RV wash seemed to have done ok, but I still see some streaks. The awning stuff didn't work too well, and I'm thinking that I'll be replacing the awning next year some time because it's faded pretty bad and even after power washing it, I can't get the stains out of it. Also, trying to get along the edges of the rubber seals that go along the edges was a task, but I couldn't get all the black stuff off. I assume that's from road dirt and whatnot. Do they make a tool to clean the seals?

So my other questions are;

1. Does anyone have a preferred wash/wax/UV protectant solution?
2. Would the roof hold a 200 pound dude? (so I can wash the AC shroud)
3. What's my roof made of? (I got spots that won't come off because I think that it's a rubber coated roof but I'm not 100% sure)
4. Am I supposed to cover anything before washing? (Like the AC, i see a couple of vent tubes, and some long shroud that seems to be over the stove area)

Thanx in advance for any help or suggestions.
MetalSlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #2

Good questions...
1. Turtle wax works wonders for me. Bit of elbow grease (and beer) takes the black streaks right off. "Wax-on, Wax-off";
2. 200lbs....probably, but unless you really need to be up there, I wouldn't do it regularly. Walk along the edges of the roof-line as much as possible - you can be certain that's where the framing is and it'll be stronger;
3. The roof is usually a rubber fabric laid on plywood; don't scrub too much. If it's stained, remember .. it's just the roof; and
4. You could cover things ... but why? It's designed as an outdoor-unit...a bit of water on there won't hurt. Just don't spray the hose directly under the vents or into the AC.

For the awning .. bit of bleach in a bucket of water. Brush it on, close the awning & let it sit for 15 minutes. Open it up and brush/wash it off and you should be good to go. If not...well an an awning isn't cheap!
Good Luck!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #3

Don't use any petroleum distillates on the roof. Better off leaving it dirty than using petroleum distillates, PD causes the EPDM roof membrane degrade much more rapidly than UV alone.

The problem with Wash/Wax is the PD, waxes contain PD.

I spent a lot of time reading MSDS sheets for different soaps. So far I have been using Meguiar's Deep Crystal Wash--inexpensive and works well. Lots of people use Mop-N-Glo, my FIL swears by it---I haven't tried it yet, probably will sometime.

As for waxing, I hand wax and use Meguiar's NXT 2.0 twice a year. My TT is corrugated alum siding, the liquid is much easier for me compared to paste wax. Lots of debate on the forums about waxing decals, I just went ahead and waxed them along with everything else. So far so good.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #4

Good tips to learn from and try out. Thanx. Hand waxing? There's a full day, but if you're only doing it 2x a year, then that's not too bad.
MetalSlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #5

Waxing quite honestly sucks, takes about 6hrs to completely wash and wax my TT. Several folks spread it out by waxing a side each day, I rather take my medicine and knock it out in one shot.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #6

Try "Awesome" from the Dollar Store for removing the streaks. Works great...

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #7

Protect-All is about the easiest to use and works on multi surfaces. It works best on finishes that are already in good shape. For neglected or older surfaces Turtle Wax, liquid in the green bottle, works well and follow up jobs with the Protect-All will be easier.

Turtle Wax "Zip Wax", actually a wash product, is very good for washing. For the roof, I use a Thetford specific roof wash and treatment. I don't think it is very good but it should be safe. I don't believe in walking on the roof so I use a long handled brush and step ladder which is not much fun!

I waxed my little 17Z the other day and it made me appreciate the size even more! As someone stated earlier the one side a day method is not a bad idea. Wash it, wax a side maybe an end panel then repeat on the other side or panel the next week.

Speaking of Turtle Wax, remember when the liquid came in a glass bottle? Made a real mess when it busted on the pavement!

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #8

I walk on the roof of my 17Z (2010) and there are no problems. I asked at the dealership when I purchased my trailer. They said they do it all the time. For cleaning the roof I like Protect-All's Rubber Roof cleaner and their Protectectant. I also use Thetofords Rubber Roof cleaner and Conditioner in one for quick washes. On the sides any decent car wash works. For waxing I like Adam's brand of waxes. Adams has a whole line of waxing products.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote