Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #1

Ford Flex and Jayco 165

Hello everybody.

New to Jayco community with some questions.

Got 2010 EcoBoost Flex with tow Package.( Class III 9622/4500/450 )

I want to buy 2011 Jayco Sport Series 165 to travel with Wife and 5yrs daughter.
Some Specs:
Base Weight (lbs / kg): 2835 / 1286
Carrying Capacity (lbs / kg): 665 / 301.6
Hitch Weight (lbs / kg): 440 / 199.6
Number Of Axles: 1

I know tongue for Flex is rated 450lbs and Jayco got 440lbs which seem too tight.

Do I have any options here(WD,sway bars?) or just look for something lighter like Swift SLX series.

thanks for any input Guys.
kurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #2

I was told by my local Ford dealer that the Flex had a frontal area limit of 35 sq ft with the towing package (28 without) and I couldn't tow a travel trailer with one. I didn't confirm it with Ford but you might want to check to be sure you don't void a warranty.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #3

I would look into what Paulx213 was told....but from the numbers, MHO is that you have a decent match. I'm not sure why the tongue weight is listed so high for the 165. If you loaded the 165 to capacity (3,500#) ....you should still be able to manage a respectable 13% TT tongue weight and not exceed your TV's max (hitch weight) of 450# (provided you load the TT properly).

Backing up to the smaller SWIFT line wont buy you much breathing room (the series loads up to 3,000 - 3,500#)...however, that series is shorter in height and "frontal area"

What kind of travelling and camping do you plan to do?
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #4

Re: Ford Flex and Jayco 165

In my experience the jayco tongue numbers are way short of real life. On my 23b they say it's 450ish but after propane, batteries, and loading of storage it came in at over 640#. Go head to a dealer and weigh one before you buy for sure.

Retired: 2014 X23B
mitechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
I would look into what Paulx213 was told....but from the numbers, MHO is that you have a decent match. I'm not sure why the tongue weight is listed so high for the 165. If you loaded the 165 to capacity (3,500#) ....you should still be able to manage a respectable 13% TT tongue weight and not exceed your TV's max (hitch weight) of 450# (provided you load the TT properly).

Backing up to the smaller SWIFT line wont buy you much breathing room (the series loads up to 3,000 - 3,500#)...however, that series is shorter in height and "frontal area"

What kind of travelling and camping do you plan to do?
thanks for response.

Yep tongue weight on 165 is high compare to other campers with similar weight.Was looking at 154BH and 184BH too,but found sweet deal on 2011 m-165.

As for camping,mostly will be wisconsin and michigan state parks for start.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitechie View Post
In my experience the jayco tongue numbers are way short of real life. On my 23b they say it's 450ish but after propane, batteries, and loading of storage it came in at over 640#. Go head to a dealer and weigh one before you buy for sure.
Is it gonna help me if I will load most cargo behind axle to reduce tongue weight?

thanks
Old 10-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurens View Post
Is it gonna help me if I will load most cargo behind axle to reduce tongue weight?

thanks
In looking at the trailer I'm not sure how much stuff you could put behind the axle to offset the front storage compartment, propane tank, and battery. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's why I suggest checking it in real life before you sign for the trailer.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitechie View Post
In looking at the trailer I'm not sure how much stuff you could put behind the axle to offset the front storage compartment, propane tank, and battery. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's why I suggest checking it in real life before you sign for the trailer.
Its private party sale,thats why I ask you guys first

My main question is than, should I worry about flex 450lbs tongue vs wet 440lbs trailer ....is recommended WD hitch will resolve my problem if tongue will be around +/-600lbs loaded?
Old 10-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #9

Suggest you PM dougtoms01 - a moderator who has a 165 Sport and recently toured the SW US. I'm sure he was fully loaded and I know for fact he weighed / set-up his rig for safe travels....

Especially with smaller TT's -you can alter the tongue weight with loading techniques...with my 154BH, storage is behind the wheel... and still I load almost ALL our gear in the extreme rear tub / toilet when travelling. Even then - I can attach my carrying tray and empty 18G Tote (45#) to the rear bumper and STILL not dip under 10% (300#) tongue weight.....I have a tongue scale now to keep myself in check.

EDIT....I found the following thread (below) which shows dougtoms01 struggles with tongue weight and weigh-in on his 165 Sport earlier this year....looks like at 3,300# he had to carefully load to keep the tongue weight between 5-600#....sheesh....

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...t=sport+scales
Old 10-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #10

Quote:
EDIT....I found the following the following thread (below) which shows dougtoms01 struggles with tongue weight and weigh-in on his 165 Sport earlier this year....looks like at 3,300# he had to carefully load to keep the tongue weight between 5-600#....sheesh....

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...t=sport+scales
Great find Threebutchers and some great info in there!

Old 10-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #11

thanks for link.

I don't know,looks like this camper is not for me.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #12

I got some answers from etrailer.com guys:

Expert Reply:

You have a couple of options. First you could try to move weight towards the back of the trailer to try to reduce the tongue weight. Or you could go with a lighter trailer. Weight distribution only maximizes how much weight a trailer hitch can tow, it will not increase the capacity of the hitch or vehicle. If the hitch or vehicle is rated for 450 pounds tongue weight maximum then that is set in stone.

However, if the hitch and vehicle have a separate capacity for use with weight distribution it will generally be higher than the regular weight carrying capacity and it may not be an issue. Check the hitch for a sticker and the vehicle owners manual to see if there is a different rating for weight distribution.

If it does max out at 450 pounds then really the best bet is a lighter trailer. You could easily end up overloading the vehicle since it is so close.

If the hitch and vehicle are rated for use with weight distribution then you need the total tongue weight which is the tongue weight of the trailer when loaded and ready to tow plus the weight of anything loaded behind the rear axle of the tow vehicle. A system rated for 200 to 600 pounds should be all you need.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Hi kurens,
Sorry I am just getting back to you, I was camping and didn't have internet.
I see the guys already directed you to my CAT scale thread.
As you can see, I got the tongue weight down to 540lbs only loaded to about 3300lbs

I also changed my factory hitch to one rated at 600lbs versus factory at 500lbs

These TT's are like a big parachute behind an SUV. I made a long trip, but won't due it again until I get a full size truck.
The wheelbase is very limiting.

I think you would be pushing it with the 165 on that Crossover. JMHO

Kind regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #14

thanks everybody for help....I think 1809s will be better choice.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #15

I think you're fishing in the right pond with a 3,200-3,500# loaded TT.....now - just get that tongue weight under your max and you'll be fine for doing the type of camping your talking about.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #16

Quote:
I think you're fishing in the right pond with a 3,200-3,500# loaded TT.....now - just get that tongue weight under your max and you'll be fine for doing the type of camping your talking about.
My question is how to get this tongue weight under maxIf we speaking about m-165.

I can pack all my cargo in shower tub/rear part of bunk....need tongue scale for sure
Will take out 3rd row seats from Flex,can buy better receiver and WD for sure...is it enough?

Or this trailer is simple not for me
Old 10-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #17

Quote:
My question is how to get this tongue weight under max
Short answer = move the axle forward....lol

Quote:
I can pack all my cargo in shower tub/rear part of bunk....need tongue scale for sure
Will take out 3rd row seats from Flex,can buy better receiver and WD for sure...is it enough?
Looks like your working out the long answer....If you understand the limitations and are willing to live with the minor inconveniences (as you mention above) then I believe you have it licked.

I'm in (roughly) the same boat...got tow capacity room (2,900# / 3,500#), but maxed out on the tongue weight (300#). I have been tweaking the set-up for two years....the ride is much more confident and enjoyable then when I started. Yet still....I am very aware of my limitations.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #18

Quote:
My question is how to get this tongue weight under maxIf we speaking about m-165.

Or this trailer is simple not for me
Simply not the trailer for you. Even if you could address the tongue weight, the 35 sq. ft. Frontal area is something you can't do anything about. Although not certain, I think it would be pretty easy to have 45-50 sq ft of frontal with that TT.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #19

Ok will look into something smaller.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Simply not the trailer for you. Even if you could address the tongue weight, the 35 sq. ft. Frontal area is something you can't do anything about.
I would verify this between your owners manual and Ford Customer Service. Local Ford Dealers like to sell trucks....

I don't get pushed around or sucked-in by passing trucks at any speed....my gas mileage suffers no more than most of the people on this list while towing...I don't buy "frontal sq ft" as a sole reason to disqualify towing a TT when all your other ratios are well within spec.....but that's just me - YMMV