Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2021, 12:01 PM   #1

Fresh Water fill takes a longgggg time

I have noticed filling my fresh water tank takes a long time and I can only pour water in from a hose at little more than a solid trickle which means my tank takes 20-30 minutes to fill. I pulled off the cover this week to see if there was an obstruction but the input line was clear. It is a gravity feed tank and the "air follows water" hose was kinked like a garden hose. I removed it, cut it shorter and re-attached it to see if that helps. (pic shows line after clearing the kink). Did not help. I noted the water input line if you look at it from the side (pic is a top down view) has a drop like a miniature P trap. There is always water in the bottom of the line (blue in pic) which seems to back fill quickly and push water out as I fill if the water is more than a trickle. I bought a hose extender to push past the P trap but it jams due to the angle about three quarters in. I can now fill the tank at a slightly higher trickle. Opening the water taps does nada and means the pump is off so I can't see it fill. Does anybody else have this issue, is that a baby P trap of just the installer put too long a tube in? Anybody else have this issue or a solution. I'm think of shortening the tube and eliminating the P. The white and blue pipe at the bottom is a side view showing how the input works like a P trapping water.
Attached Thumbnails
Slow fresh water input.JPG  
NorthernTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:05 PM   #2

The problem is probably the vent. It will only let so much air out which causes the water to backup in the fill tube.

Buy or make something like this, it should help.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Shutoff...32597529&psc=1
Old 09-25-2021, 01:00 PM   #3

That's exactly the "hose extender" I bought (and mentioned in the original post). Helps, but does not solve the problem.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveller View Post
That's exactly the "hose extender" I bought (and mentioned in the original post). Helps, but does not solve the problem.
Misunderstood. Thought you meant the white piece.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveller View Post
I have noticed filling my fresh water tank takes a long time and I can only pour water in from a hose at little more than a solid trickle which means my tank takes 20-30 minutes to fill. I pulled off the cover this week to see if there was an obstruction but the input line was clear. It is a gravity feed tank and the "air follows water" hose was kinked like a garden hose. I removed it, cut it shorter and re-attached it to see if that helps. (pic shows line after clearing the kink). Did not help. I noted the water input line if you look at it from the side (pic is a top down view) has a drop like a miniature P trap. There is always water in the bottom of the line (blue in pic) which seems to back fill quickly and push water out as I fill if the water is more than a trickle. I bought a hose extender to push past the P trap but it jams due to the angle about three quarters in. I can now fill the tank at a slightly higher trickle. Opening the water taps does nada and means the pump is off so I can't see it fill. Does anybody else have this issue, is that a baby P trap of just the installer put too long a tube in? Anybody else have this issue or a solution. I'm think of shortening the tube and eliminating the P. The white and blue pipe at the bottom is a side view showing how the input works like a P trapping water.
I think you are on the right track and I would consider cutting the hose another 1" or so, just shorten it enough so that there is no dip anymore. You don't really need a p trap there (at least no reason I can think of). ~CA

BTW, Welcome you to the Jayco Owners Forums (JOF)
Old 09-25-2021, 07:53 PM   #6

Maybe disconnect that clear vent tube at the radiator clamp in your picture. Then see if you can feel air rushing out of the black elbow while someone stands outside and attempts to fill it. It's a trial and error shot but it may narrow down your search.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:58 PM   #7

My fill pipe is much longer than yours but had just as big or bigger dip in it. Sloppy construction. I rigged up a small strap to pull it up level rather than undue the hose clamps and trim it. Then, using the filler tube like you, it filled easily.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:36 AM   #8

Not sure on the model you have, but most of the SLX 7 wides suffer from the same problem.
Fresh water fill is too low on the sidewall for the tank they use.
The downward angle of the inlet fill on the outside makes it lower than the inlet pipe on the tank. Makes it awkward to fill and takes away from getting full capacity of the tank.
vwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #9

Final Solution

First off, thanks to all who helped. In the end I cut the line the same way I did the air return. Lopped off an inch and reattached it. Before I did the cutting I contacted Jayco support and got copies of their plumbing diagrams to confirm there was no need for a P trap on the water intake. The diagrams did not include the water intake portion but the only P traps to be found in the paperwork was in the traditional drainage locations.

After I cut and reattached the hose I could see the intake all the way to the tank from the outside of the trailer. The dip in the line is now gone. I retested my water flow and its quadrupled. I did not even push the limit to my test. Was able to fill the tank to 1/3 capacity in 2-3 minutes. You can hear the water dropping into the tank now when you use the extender.

btw, its a SLX7 174BH
Attached Thumbnails
water intake repair.jpg  
Old 09-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #10

Whew! Good news. Just some of the unnecessary fixes that could have been solved at the factory. You may even look forward to running out of water now that it will fill as quickly as you can dump it. Ok, maybe you won't (but you might the first one or two times). [emoji16]

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water intake slow