Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2022, 12:32 PM   #1

Front Window removal

I have a 2019 Jay Feather BH174 that leaks only when its raining hard and I am on the raod at highway speeds. Standing still I have no issues.I Twice now rain got inside on the leading edge (B in the pic) of the bed. No water on the window (A - inside or out), no water or moisture on the inside panelling. Only occurs when travelling in heavy rain at highway speed. Jayco said they had never heard of the issue. I mentioned there was no seal around the bottom of the front window or the bottom half of the sides of the front window.

How would water get through a wall thats 1 1/2" thick and not leave a water trail on the panel?

Thinking I should just seal the whole outside or perhaps remove the inside trim to the window and try to seal that. Jayco gave me the spec diagrams for the front wall but it does not show a window in the construction.

Anybody ever pulled their window? I want to get a closer look.
Attached Thumbnails
Rain.jpg  
NorthernTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:05 PM   #2

I have a 2015 185RB Baja. I, too, have found water on the bed next to the front window but couldn't really find a source.

I thought about removing the front window but figured I'd try a couple of sealing steps before that.

The black window frame appears to be compressed against some type of rubber or foam seal. I silicone caulked over that rubber/foam seal between the black frame and the white siding. I left the bottom un-caulked on all of the other windows (for water drainage, should any get in and around the window for some reason), but I caulked all the way around the black frame on the front window. I have a thought that wind driven rain while driving might be sneaking up underneath the bottom edge of the frame.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220919_122057-1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	84484

I'm also replacing the rubber weatherstrip gasket around the glass. It has shrunk over the last 7 years and is loose in a few places.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ml#post1075495

I've had a very difficult time finding the same profile seal as the original weatherstripping; however, I got a short piece of a similar profile from the local RV dealer. It seems to fit perfectly in the frame (with a little soapy water to aid installation) and seems to be tighter than the original.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BCWPLGTW

If those two steps don't work, I'll be coming back here to see if anyone else knows how to get the window out.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:14 PM   #3

I dug a little deeper. Maybe this will help you without needing to removing your window.

Once I got the old gasket out, I realized the glass had come unsealed from the frame in the lower corner. Water would get past the old gasket and then pool in the corner...eventually working its way underneath the glass & into the trailer and dripping down onto the bed.

Name:	vlcsnap-2022-10-02-18h56m40s076.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	84510

The glass pane was originally sealed to the metal frame with a bead of silicone. I cleaned and dried the area and then caulked the gap with new silicone.

I then immediately put the new rubber gasket in place on the outside in order to hold the glass pane against the frame so that the silicone would cure.

The new gasket from Amazon I mentioned above works nicely. It's a tight fit and laborious to get in, but a little soapy water helps.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BCWPLGTW?th=1

Name:	20221002_150236.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	84512

A socket driver seemed to be the perfect tool to push the gasket into place without damaging it.

Name:	20221002_171117.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	84511
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote