Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2018, 06:56 AM   #1

Furnace not working

Hi all! We have a used 2015 jaylight slx 195RB that we just bought "used".
We put the furnace switch to on and put the bottom switch to the hottest. Propane was on made sure by turning on the stove that it was working.
Nothing happened not even the fan blower. What are we doing wrong? Should the fan come on right away or does it take a bit of time?
Thank you!
Desertpull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #2

Perhaps electrical. You did not mention if you checked the fuse panel. It's a start.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post
Perhaps electrical. You did not mention if you checked the fuse panel. It's a start.

My husband looked at the fuse panel but didn't do anything to it as everything looked ok. I will have him check again. We are going camping today low will be 30 degrees in Az desert. We have a buddy heater for back up but I am scared to use that while we sleep.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #4

We have two 1500 watt electric space heaters that we've used in the past. Because they are on the same breaker when in use, I run in both at low setting, which is 750 watts, so I don't blow a fuse. Actually, I found that we can get by with just one at night. We used it to supplement the furnace if we wanted to save propane since the electricity was already paid for on our campsite. Perhaps you would have a better peace of mind if you ran a portable electrical appliance versus a portable propane appliance in the camper at night. Just make sure your propane, carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are up to snuff.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 02-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #5

Please let us know what you find.

We postponed our trip this week. Too cold for us even during most of the daytime, and it''s supposed to get colder tomorrow.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post
We have two 1500 watt electric space heaters that we've used in the past. Because they are on the same breaker when in use, I run in both at low setting, which is 750 watts, so I don't blow a fuse. Actually, I found that we can get by with just one at night. We used it to supplement the furnace if we wanted to save propane since the electricity was already paid for on our campsite. Perhaps you would have a better peace of mind if you ran a portable electrical appliance versus a portable propane appliance in the camper at night. Just make sure your propane, carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are up to snuff.

I thought about electric space heater but we are dry camping and don't want to run the generator all night. I rather be in a hook up camp ground but all the snow birds take all the spaces up. 😔
Old 02-22-2018, 09:39 AM   #7

I tried to postpone but my husband said he still wanted to go. The sun better warm me up because I get cold easy. Hoping for no rain!
Will let you know what we find.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #8

Sounds good. Also, this is not my experience but from others that I've read about here. If you do get your furnace working, running it off your battery will probably require the battery to be charged back up during the day. I've read that running a furnace off the battery usually depletes it by morning due to the blower fan in the furnace that makes up the electrical component of your furnace. I'll be curious to see how things pan out after your trip. Don't forget to post the results. :-)

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 02-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #9

Just because the fuses look good doesn't mean they are. They can burn through in a spot out of view. Either test or replace the fuse to be sure.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:34 PM   #10

In our fiver if the dinning room slide is closed it covers the floor vents and furnace wont come on. We have a buddy heater and have been using it for many years.Only problem green fuel bottle only last about 5 hours for us! PS don't for get to check reset furnace switch on top of the furnace itself.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #11

We are heading up to Cottonwood on Monday dead horse ranch park. Looks cold and rainy! Yuk
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #12

Can you post an image of the thermostat? Our old thermastat had a small on/off switch on the underside.

Another thing to check, remove the Furnace cover, there is a reset button. Push it and see if what happens.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
In our fiver if the dinning room slide is closed it covers the floor vents and furnace wont come on. We have a buddy heater and have been using it for many years.Only problem green fuel bottle only last about 5 hours for us! PS don't for get to check reset furnace switch on top of the furnace itself.
Hmm good thinking but I didn't see a reset button on the actual thermostat. Will look around again.
Thank!
Old 02-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #14

Ok thanks might just buy a new one and replace it if nothing else works.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #15

I can once we get to our camp spot. We are driving right now. So the furnace is where the blower is right?
Old 02-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #16

Yeah I saw the weather for next week, yikes! We are going towards queen valley somewhere but the nights will be cold. Have fun next week!
Old 02-22-2018, 04:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Can you post an image of the thermostat? Our old thermastat had a small on/off switch on the underside.

Another thing to check, remove the Furnace cover, there is a reset button. Push it and see if what happens.
I have the same year 195RB as the OP. The on/off for the thermostat is on the top and ours was really hard to switch on - thought it was going to break every time I flipped it. Finally got tired of that and recently installed a Honeywell digital unit. If you are certain that the on/off switch is getting fully switched then as Jagiven suggests check the reset button. It sounds like it's either a bad fuse or the reset switch.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:53 AM   #18

Update: The furnace worked! I guess we didn't leave it on long enough for it to come on! Lol
Thank you all for your help!

Tags
furnace blower