Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
From what my research tells me, the problem with having too long a hose is that the pressure may drop over too long a length. With a trailer, most of the runs are done with solid pipe, so there isn't as much of a pressure loss. So if you want to add 20' of hose on to the quick connect on the rear of your trailer, that should be okay, since the run of solid pipe isn't really a factor. Of course, I could be wrong.
My trailer uses rubber hose from front to rear, the whole run.

Whether this makes any difference over solid pipe, I have no idea...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
My trailer uses rubber hose from front to rear, the whole run.

Whether this makes any difference over solid pipe, I have no idea...
Whoops, you are correct. I was looking at something else on our trailer today and it is hose for the whole length. I guess it was on our old Starcraft hybrid where it was solid pipe. My engineering knowledge isn't sufficiently advanced to calculate the pressure difference between solid pipe and hose... If there is one.
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #43

Just an update because for once I am so pleased with my choice. I did purchase the propane firepit from Lowe's someone suggested and I decided to use one of my propane tanks from my camper for it. I love the propane: flip a switch and I have a fire for sunrise, sunset, any time it's chilly. I find I stay outside lots more now when it's cool. I am also glad I decide to make it portable with the tank rather than hook to the grill gas outlet. If I'm watching a sunrise, I move it so I can see it even though that may not be where I use it at night. It really hasn't been an issue at all to take the tank off the camper and replace it before I leave. Basically the same thing as securing one in the storage compartment if I had bought an extra one.
So again, thanks for all the input on my question that helped me think through this choice!
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #44

I have a cell phone video here I'll have to figure out how to post, that shows our fire pit at the end of 25 ft of hose. The flames are big enough to keep me happy; if there's any loss in pressure over that length, it's not enough to make a big difference.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Old 06-14-2016, 04:41 PM   #45

Got one of those thinking to take it camping during fire bans. Turned out to work so well it is now staying on an outside deck at home.

May have to buy a second when I didn't really think I would like the first one.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretCoveDave View Post
Got one of those thinking to take it camping during fire bans. Turned out to work so well it is now staying on an outside deck at home.

May have to buy a second when I didn't really think I would like the first one.
Yes, I went to my camper and pulled it out and used it on my back patio once already too!
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #47

We too use a propane campfire and BBQ. After trying the BBQ on the camper propane I found it was a PIA with a hose laying around for someone to trip on. We has used the fire pit and BBQ with 20lb tank for two years, and it worked out great. Were going to back to carrying two 20lb tanks, one each for BBQ and Fire pit. No long hoses, can move them where ever we want them, even to another campsite. We work kamp so were at one place for months..

I saw no real advantage to using the rv propane, and real advantages for separate tanks. I made two cedar "totes" to hold the 20lb tank, looks nice and holds them upright when traveling.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:39 PM   #48

I do the same, two tanks (grill and fireplace) for the convenience, and in a pinch they can serve as a backup.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #49

For us, limiting the amount of stuff we haul around is more convenient. Twenty-five feet of hose with quick connects, and the two 30-pound cylinders on the trailer tongue works just fine. Since it's just the two of us and the dog, the chances of someone tripping over the hose is pretty slim, and I coil it up and tuck it under the trailer when I'm done.

I still have the original hose and build-in regulator that came with the fire pit, so it's just a matter of removing one and reattaching the other to put it back to original, for use with an extra tank.

Here's a short 10 second video of our fire pit turned on high, at the end of 25' of hose. If there's any drop in pressure, it's pretty insignificant, IMHO.
Attached Files
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Old 06-19-2016, 06:45 PM   #50

Just got this firepit for Father's Day.
I was wanting to add a 15' hose to get to 25 total if we desired.
Can someone tell me the fitting size?
Looks to be 3/8", but I thought someone who had done the hose extension might be able to tell me for sure.
We will still take wood locally, but will love this at the campgrounds that don't allow ground fires, or at ones further away that don't allow "imported" wood due to bugs.
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:16 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsday75 View Post
Just got this firepit for Father's Day.
I was wanting to add a 15' hose to get to 25 total if we desired.
Can someone tell me the fitting size?
Looks to be 3/8", but I thought someone who had done the hose extension might be able to tell me for sure.
We will still take wood locally, but will love this at the campgrounds that don't allow ground fires, or at ones further away that don't allow "imported" wood due to bugs.
Thanks in advance.
It might be a 1/2" compression fitting, but I'm not 100% sure. What I suggest is to take the original hose off of the fire pit and take it to the place you plan on getting the hose from and see if they can match it up. The 15' hose I bought was a pre-made one from an RV dealer, with the threaded compression fitting on one end and the propane quick disconnect on the other. It was kind of pricey, but it was the exact thing I needed.

Here's a close-up of the original hose, the one I removed:

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Old 09-06-2017, 03:30 PM   #52

It works!

I was wanting to try hooking up a fire pit directly to my Jayco Whitehawk 25bhs so I gave it a shot. Works perfectly! 50 ft of hose and still has a nice silent flame with the Camco fire pit. I put together a quick tutorial video with all of the parts listed here: https://youtu.be/CpXut-25zZg
michaelfisk is offline   Reply With Quote