Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
I'll have time tomorrow to take a look. I'll take a cell phone photo of the regulator and post it here. I'm thinking it should just thread on to the end of the hose, so we can replace it with the Camco quick disconnect. i like the idea of a portable fire pit, but I don't want to haul around another 20 pounds of propane when I already have 60 pounds sitting on the tongue of the trailer.
The regulator is likely crimped on so it cannot be removed. That is why I had a new line made....plus I wanted it longer.
Sw7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #22

I have that fire pit. Yes, mine is crimped on. But the regulator is adjustable. That is how you control the flame. It throws out a lot of heat too. 56,000 BTUs. I just take one of the 30lb tanks off the front of the trailer and use it for the pit. Put it back on the TT before we break camp.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:23 PM   #23
Site Team

Seems like if the included regulator is adjustable, that removing it will not allow the flame to be adjusted and it will be at a lower pressure.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:38 PM   #24

It looks like the hose connects to the side of the on/off valve with a pretty standard sized fitting. Instead of messing with the hose that comes with it, I'd look for a hose with a quick disconnect to replace this one. I'm pretty sure Camping World sells one that would work. Then you still have the other hose if you ever do want to hook up to a bottle. They make some really "cute" 5lb propane bottles that would work great with this.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:03 AM   #25

Quote:
I'll have time tomorrow to take a look. I'll take a cell phone photo of the regulator and post it here. I'm thinking it should just thread on to the end of the hose, so we can replace it with the Camco quick disconnect. i like the idea of a portable fire pit, but I don't want to haul around another 20 pounds of propane when I already have 60 pounds sitting on the tongue of the trailer.
I started wondering if the low flow would cause the firepit not to burn brightly at all. I looked through the questions on the website and though there were a couple related, I went ahead and tried to ask more specifically. I noticed that a Lowe's rep. answers some of them.
I noticed that Camping World has a 4.5 lb tank that is refillable so probably same kind of attachment. The specs on the firepit says it burns 15 hrs on 20 lbs but I think it was on high and reviews say medium heat is good. So on a smaller tank on medium, maybe a bit over 5 hrs. Hmmmm.....
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #26

Okay, here's what I found out. Here's a photo of the display unit at the store:

The regulator is indeed crimped. I surreptitiously looked around and, not seeing any store employee, gave it a twist, wondering if it was threaded on. I don't think it is. But the other end is threaded into the control knob. Hmm...

I continued my looking around and found this at a local RV dealer:

Ignoring the price for a moment -- keep in mind that this is from a dealer, and a better price can always be found online -- this is a 15' hose with a threaded coupler on one end and a quick connect at the other. I don't see why this hose can't replace the one on the firepit, and combined with the 10' extension that I use for my Weber, that would give me 25' of propane hose. AFAIK, a firepit like this needs the same 11" WC pressure that most propane appliances use.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS1115 View Post
I have that fire pit. Yes, mine is crimped on. But the regulator is adjustable. That is how you control the flame. It throws out a lot of heat too. 56,000 BTUs. I just take one of the 30lb tanks off the front of the trailer and use it for the pit. Put it back on the TT before we break camp.
The more I think about it, this seems to be an easy "fix".
Old 04-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #28

North of 49: As I would expect the company rep answered my question with the standard answer:
Thanks for contacting us! We do not recommend changing the hose as this unit has been designed and tested with the pressure of a 20 lb propane tank. By altering the unit, it's very possible that it will not provide the warmth intended. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us at 1.866.771.2663 Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. PST, or by email at Happy2Help@Bondmfg.com. Stay warm!
Posted by BondManufacturing
49 minutes ago
Old 04-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #29

We're not altering it, really. We're just removing a redundant regulator, because the RV's propane system is already regulated; having two regulators in line -- the one on the trailer and the one on the firepit -- is a no-no, since the propane would be twice regulated and performance would suffer greatly. The same reason why we remove the regulator on a Weber grill.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Old 04-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #30

Quote:
We're not altering it, really. We're just removing a redundant regulator, because the RV's propane system is already regulated; having two regulators in line -- the one on the trailer and the one on the firepit -- is a no-no, since the propane would be twice regulated and performance would suffer greatly. The same reason why we remove the regulator on a Weber grill.
That is the same hose I have, I just had my local propane dealer make me one for a lot less. He did not have the quick disconnect, so I purchased that and took it to him. He has the hydraulic machine for crimping high pressure lines. The quick connect on your TT will have a control valve (flat bar style) that you can use to control the volume at the pit. Now you will not even have to remove that propane bottle...except to refill.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #31

Thanks for the idea. Having a custom hose made is definitely a possibility, and I could get it as long as I need. Even if I get them to just put a male coupler on one end and a female on the other, that would be good enough. One of the RV dealers here sells the Camco quick connects for about the same price as I could buy them online.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Old 04-19-2016, 09:37 PM   #32

I've been corresponding with a salesman at a local place that makes custom propane hoses, and they can make me one with a female coupler on one end and a quick connect fitting on the other, in a 20' length. Their price is higher than what I'm willing to pay, so I'll probably go with an off-the-shelf 15' hose with the fittings already attached.

I mentioned to the guy that I was thinking of connecting it with the 10' hose I'm using for the Weber grill to give me a total length of 30', allowing me to put the fire pit pretty much anywhere I want to on the campsite. He replied that he would be concerned that such a long run of hose would reduce the pressure and result in a smaller flame. I looked around on the Web and the best I could find is that 20' to 30' seems to be the maximum that other people are running propane hose, so if I go with a 15' plus the 10' I already have, that's 25', which is good enough for what I want.

But does anyone know if there's a limit to how long a propane hose can be run, without losing too much pressure?

FWIW, I haven't spent a dime on any of this yet, I'm just doing the research so I can get the right stuff the first time.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Old 04-20-2016, 05:45 AM   #33

I bought the Lowe's unit yesterday but haven't taken it from the box yet so I'm interested in what you guys decide to do. I definitely think I'll just use the propane tanks on the camper.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #34

It's still a week and a half before I get the trailer out of storage, so anything I do will have to wait until then. I have a birthday coming up soon, so I hinted that an outdoor portable propane fire pit would be a nice gift... But I'll probably go with the 15' replacement hose and see how it works, mostly for the convenience of not having to lug around a tank.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Old 04-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #35

I had my hose made 20' in length. I did not notice any difference in the flame size with the 20' hose and the 6' hose that came on the camp chef fire pit.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw7000 View Post
I had my hose made 20' in length. I did not notice any difference in the flame size with the 20' hose and the 6' hose that came on the camp chef fire pit.
Good to know.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Old 04-20-2016, 09:32 PM   #37

hi veneta,

we really like our gas fire-pit. we carry an extra 20lb. tank to fuel it and our bbq. if it runs out, i just take one from front of trailer to use until we refill. that way we can place each where the weather/campsite dictate. if it rains, we use both under the awning. natural fires are great, but gas fire-pit, no fuss, no smoke smell, provides comfortable heat, and we can usually use it when camp fire bans are in effect. each camper has their preference which is great.

cheers,

grampacc
grampacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #38

Okay, the mod is done. What I did was buy the 15' hose extension from the RV place -- it seems that was the best price I could find, and they were 5 minutes from home. The threaded coupler was the same as what was on the fire pit, so it was literally just a matter of swapping the hoses around:

Here's the fire pit lit with the 15' hose in place, connected to the trailer's propane supply:

...And here's an image of the tag on the pit itself, saying that it requires 11" WC, the same as what the trailer supply provides:

I also tried it with the 15' hose connected to the fire pit along with the 10' hose I use for the Weber grill. I didn't notice any change in flame height or quality, so that gives me the option of 25' of hose length. I can put it pretty much anywhere on the campsite I want, and keep it well away from the awning. Exactly what I wanted!
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Old 05-13-2016, 03:11 PM   #39

This is great! I love the idea of running off the onboard propane tanks, but I have a question. On our Whitehawk the quick disconnect is at the back of the trailer and the line runs the entire 27' length. The grill works fine with no issues, but I'm wondering if I wanted to add another 20' hose to use a gas firepit, putting the total hose length at 47' , would that be too long of a stretch? Otherwise, I could just carry an extra tank as we have plenty of room, so it's not a problem.

2013 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
RDUBYA448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBYA448 View Post
This is great! I love the idea of running off the onboard propane tanks, but I have a question. On our Whitehawk the quick disconnect is at the back of the trailer and the line runs the entire 27' length. The grill works fine with no issues, but I'm wondering if I wanted to add another 20' hose to use a gas firepit, putting the total hose length at 47' , would that be too long of a stretch? Otherwise, I could just carry an extra tank as we have plenty of room, so it's not a problem.
From what my research tells me, the problem with having too long a hose is that the pressure may drop over too long a length. With a trailer, most of the runs are done with solid pipe, so there isn't as much of a pressure loss. So if you want to add 20' of hose on to the quick connect on the rear of your trailer, that should be okay, since the run of solid pipe isn't really a factor. Of course, I could be wrong.
Winnipeg, Manitoba