Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #11

I am researching all of the options on internet and utube to figure out what to do. I'm sure learning alot about generators! This group has been so helpful. Thank you all!

sumcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #12

Your making me rethink the Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkuzme1 View Post
...I have a 184BH. I run my camper off of the Champion 2000 watt. It is super quiet. Side by side by a Honda there is little difference (as far as being quiet)....
Curious if you were able to also run the microwave? I used a friends Honda EU2000i and with everything off, it was having a hard time with the microwave in my 184BH. That isn't a major thing to me (dont use the microwave much) but just a point for comparison. The Honda had no issues with providing power for the lights, AC and a few 120v misc items all at the same time.

I am really close to pulling the trigger on the Honda, the only thing holding me back is the price tag (I know, investment, resell). But if I can buy 2 of the Champion models for less than the cost of the Honda, it seems like I am better off.

X, your comments on the Champion are making me rethink a bit...

BrettSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #13

I have ran the Microwave in my 184 with my champion generator before. I normally don't use the use the microwave. I cannot recall if I was using the AC at the same time or not though.

The only downside to the Champion generator that I am aware of, is that it cannot be re-jetted for high altitude operation.

I have two of the Chanpion generators and I have had no bad experiences with them. I have used each if them roughly 100 hours. For $380, I don't think I could ask anymore of it. With my 184BH, it has done everything that I have asked of it.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #14

I have a Champion 2000 watt. I love it. Got it through Home Depot for under $700 w/delivery to my doorstep. I researched as many as I could and the Cahmpion was the best priced unit with the best features in the 2000 watt inverter category. Honda and Yamaha were consistently ranked #1 and #2 but they also cost $400 more.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #15

http://supergenproducts.com/product-.../cpe-inverter/

$394 for refurbished Champion. I bought the $839 bundle for 2 of them with the pairing module.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #16

I don't want to sound negative on the Champion generators because they seem like an inexpensive way to get by if it fits your needs but it is no Honda or Yamaha but I think we all new that?
Here is a real live comparison to watch next to a Honda.

I am sure the champion would fit my needs also. I use the microwave for a bread holder. I just go the extra mile when I buy tools and power equipment. I am in the market also but I am patient. I will find a Yamaha 2400ISHC over the winter months for a good price. I really like the Hondas also very tough decision. Again I could easily get buy with a 2000 but I want the 2400 just for a little extra.

Back to the original posters question I think the Champion would work fine for tailgating the link X gave has some awesome deals on refurbs.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #17

Honda 2000i!! You get what you pay for. Actually have 2 of them now so I can run the AC if necessary. Really you can power lights and stuff with a lesser generator. As quiet as a Honda I just don't believe it. Typically only carry one of them with us, but have it connected to a 6 gal boat type plastic gas tank and it will run non stop for 3 days running a fridge, lights, fans, and TV/sat. Since we only run it for maybe 3 hours in the am and from 7pm to 11pm or so, I've gone for a week and still have gas. Quiet, reliable, and easy to handle and store.

Not a doomsday prepper, but my Honda's play a key role keeping all the vitals running in my house during an extended power outage. Won't power the heatpumps, but does fine with my wood stove /blower that I heat with 90 % of the time. Everything else is fair game and good to go. Just run a heavy extension into my basement where the stove sits and then up into the main family room. The 2nd unit does the kitchen and even runs the dishwasher. Camping or houseboating is where it gets most of the use, but you'll find hundreds of times when it will come in handy. The rest of the time it just sits there ready to serve.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #18

Would love to have any of them. I have a larger generators not for camping but I do have what is known as a transfer c switch. I can run the furnace and some lights if we lose power at home you may not be able to run lots of light but keep that furnace going just a thought of some more usefulness of a generator
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #19

Another vote for Honda. My eu2000i runs my 184BH just fine - AC and microwave no problem - although I'd imagine not both at the same time
Old 08-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #20

I've got a Champion 2000W and it provides enough power for my 184BH. Its small, light weight and quiet. It is also half the price of the Honda and Yamaha. I got it thru Home Depot online. Best price, free shipping to my home and it arrived in only three days.

micron is offline   Reply With Quote