Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #1

generator for a 154bh

I need to get a generator for my 154bh. I like to tailgate at a football game about one time a year. I like the little Honda 2000 generator because its quiet and small but I dont want to spend $1000 for 1 use per year. I want something quiet and cheaper that will power my little 30 amp trailer. I mainly just want to run the tv during tailgating but I may need to run other things in the future. Any suggestions???
sumcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumcove View Post
but I may need to run other things in the future. Any suggestions???
As you stated... just go ahead and get the Honda, you will find more uses for it because you will have it.

Just like in the movie... "if you build it, they will come"

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumcove View Post
I need to get a generator for my 154bh. I like to tailgate at a football game about one time a year. I like the little Honda 2000 generator because its quiet and small but I dont want to spend $1000 for 1 use per year. I want something quiet and cheaper that will power my little 30 amp trailer. I mainly just want to run the tv during tailgating but I may need to run other things in the future. Any suggestions???
Think of it as an investment....with the Honda you will get a higher return on your $$$$ when you go to sell it.....and enjoy it more while using it.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #4

The Honda is a fine machine no doubt, so it the Yamaha.

I have a 184BH. I run my camper off of the Champion 2000 watt. It is super quiet. Side by side by a Honda there is little difference (as far as being quiet). The Champion CPE 2000 watt inverter generator will not put out a full 2000 watts for 30 minutes like the Honda, but it will power your camper without any problems.

Like the Honda and the Yamaha, the Champion has 2 settings (quiet and not quiet). I can run my AC, all my lights, my TV, without the engine revving up into the (noisy) function.

The "loud" mode is actually called the economy mode. I can run my camper on economy mode for 10 hours, with 1 tank (1.1 gallons).

I have two of them actually. I bought two of them because the can pigtail together (like the Honda ones) to give 3000watts. I bought them from a company called Super Gen Products. They are currently selling the single 2000 inverter for $394 (free shipping). http://supergenproducts.com/product-.../cpe-inverter/

For what it's worth, I have actually ran my AC, and most of my lights overnight with a 2 stroke 1000 watt generator as well. It is loud, and you'll have to wake up in the middle of the night to refill the gas, but it can be done. To do that you have to turn on the AC in stages... Fan first, let it spool up, then click over to the AC. http://www.amazon.com/Trades-Pro®-St...watt+generator

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #5

I have a Yamaha. Works great for the 184 and that is what I initially bought it for. That was over a yr ago.
Didn't realize how handy it would become. I use down at the barn, no electricity there, and other uses . It's become a
very handy item here at home....
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #6

Watch Craigs list for a used Honda...that is what I did. I found one for $650 (actually paid $600) and it looked brand new with very little use. Very happy I have it, friends have Yamaha's and they are quite nice too.

I have hear folks, like xkuxme1 ^, sing the the praises of Champions. I have little doubt they work well and quietly, but personally I just really have had good experiences with Honda's small engines so I was more comfortable going that route. Had I not found one on CL I may have considered the Champion when Costco had them, but fortunately I didn't have too.

Best part, I have no doubt I could sell it on CL today for $650 and recoup my entire investment.

Just watch CL for a couple weeks and see what turns up...in my area there is Yamaha 2400 and three differnt Honda 2000s currenlty for sale.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Just boondocked with my sister this weekend.
They have a 9 year old Honda 2000i.
We ran a 30ft Cougar, my 165 Sport Jayco and a Coleman pop up all off a single generator.
They got a new 2000i kicked in on their new 30 ft Cougar, but haven't fired it up yet.

Obviously no ac's running, but everything else.

I will be buying one as soon as I save the money.

JMHO

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:25 AM   #8

We've used a Power House 2000wi, and it supported our previous 17' trailer without a problem. It was about 1/2 the price of a Honda and is just as quiet. Worth considering.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #9

A Honda or Yamaha 2000 watt gen would probably be fine for you as long as you don't want to run your a/c. You might find a good used one on Craigs List
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #10

Actually the AC in the 154BH is a window unit. You can run the entire camper (microwave included) with a Honda, Yamaha, or Champion 2000 watt generator.

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
Old 08-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #11

I am researching all of the options on internet and utube to figure out what to do. I'm sure learning alot about generators! This group has been so helpful. Thank you all!
sumcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #12

Your making me rethink the Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkuzme1 View Post
...I have a 184BH. I run my camper off of the Champion 2000 watt. It is super quiet. Side by side by a Honda there is little difference (as far as being quiet)....
Curious if you were able to also run the microwave? I used a friends Honda EU2000i and with everything off, it was having a hard time with the microwave in my 184BH. That isn't a major thing to me (dont use the microwave much) but just a point for comparison. The Honda had no issues with providing power for the lights, AC and a few 120v misc items all at the same time.

I am really close to pulling the trigger on the Honda, the only thing holding me back is the price tag (I know, investment, resell). But if I can buy 2 of the Champion models for less than the cost of the Honda, it seems like I am better off.

X, your comments on the Champion are making me rethink a bit...
BrettSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #13

I have ran the Microwave in my 184 with my champion generator before. I normally don't use the use the microwave. I cannot recall if I was using the AC at the same time or not though.

The only downside to the Champion generator that I am aware of, is that it cannot be re-jetted for high altitude operation.

I have two of the Chanpion generators and I have had no bad experiences with them. I have used each if them roughly 100 hours. For $380, I don't think I could ask anymore of it. With my 184BH, it has done everything that I have asked of it.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
Old 08-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #14

I have a Champion 2000 watt. I love it. Got it through Home Depot for under $700 w/delivery to my doorstep. I researched as many as I could and the Cahmpion was the best priced unit with the best features in the 2000 watt inverter category. Honda and Yamaha were consistently ranked #1 and #2 but they also cost $400 more.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #15

http://supergenproducts.com/product-.../cpe-inverter/

$394 for refurbished Champion. I bought the $839 bundle for 2 of them with the pairing module.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
Old 08-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #16

I don't want to sound negative on the Champion generators because they seem like an inexpensive way to get by if it fits your needs but it is no Honda or Yamaha but I think we all new that?
Here is a real live comparison to watch next to a Honda.

I am sure the champion would fit my needs also. I use the microwave for a bread holder. I just go the extra mile when I buy tools and power equipment. I am in the market also but I am patient. I will find a Yamaha 2400ISHC over the winter months for a good price. I really like the Hondas also very tough decision. Again I could easily get buy with a 2000 but I want the 2400 just for a little extra.

Back to the original posters question I think the Champion would work fine for tailgating the link X gave has some awesome deals on refurbs.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #17

Honda 2000i!! You get what you pay for. Actually have 2 of them now so I can run the AC if necessary. Really you can power lights and stuff with a lesser generator. As quiet as a Honda I just don't believe it. Typically only carry one of them with us, but have it connected to a 6 gal boat type plastic gas tank and it will run non stop for 3 days running a fridge, lights, fans, and TV/sat. Since we only run it for maybe 3 hours in the am and from 7pm to 11pm or so, I've gone for a week and still have gas. Quiet, reliable, and easy to handle and store.

Not a doomsday prepper, but my Honda's play a key role keeping all the vitals running in my house during an extended power outage. Won't power the heatpumps, but does fine with my wood stove /blower that I heat with 90 % of the time. Everything else is fair game and good to go. Just run a heavy extension into my basement where the stove sits and then up into the main family room. The 2nd unit does the kitchen and even runs the dishwasher. Camping or houseboating is where it gets most of the use, but you'll find hundreds of times when it will come in handy. The rest of the time it just sits there ready to serve.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #18

Would love to have any of them. I have a larger generators not for camping but I do have what is known as a transfer c switch. I can run the furnace and some lights if we lose power at home you may not be able to run lots of light but keep that furnace going just a thought of some more usefulness of a generator
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #19

Another vote for Honda. My eu2000i runs my 184BH just fine - AC and microwave no problem - although I'd imagine not both at the same time
Old 08-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #20

I've got a Champion 2000W and it provides enough power for my 184BH. Its small, light weight and quiet. It is also half the price of the Honda and Yamaha. I got it thru Home Depot online. Best price, free shipping to my home and it arrived in only three days.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote