Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #1

Cool Hershey,PA trip

Am beginning to plan my first trip with my new 185rb. Wish to go to Hershey,PA and savor the chocolate and the other attraction in the area. My granddaughter is so very excited to see the sights. Plan on going in mid april or so. My only question is which campground in the area is preferred. I require full hookups....just 'cause. Hope some locals have advice for this seasoned traveler. thanks, Mike
mike12110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #2

I'm just throwing it out there, but have you considered waiting until the Hershey RV show in September? It's usually around September. The RV show is right next to Hershey so you can hit both places at the same time.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #3

you are absolutely right! Except my granddaughter would have a five year old fit. She can't wait to go and I am retired so am always looking for a traveling buddy. But you are right and it reason enough to go back in Sept.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We stayed at Elizabethtown KOA.
It's about 30 minutes away from Hershey.
Nice place. In the middle of several great sites.
Amish Country 20 mins
Hershey 30 mins (double check, we had our dog so didn't go to Hershey)
Gettysberg 45mins
Masonic retirement center 5 mins (beautiful formal flower gardens)

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #5

Hi Mike,

We took a trip last year and stayed at the Hershey HighMeadow Campground.

http://www.hersheycamping.com/

While they do pack the campers in tight, we found the campground to be very clean, the staff was friendly, and the befits of staying at the park were great. They have free shuttle service to and from the theme park and Hershey world. And being able to get into the park the night before for a free preview and also an hour early on the day you have your tickets is the best! We went on so many rides and saw so much before the general public was let in.... I wouldn't do it any other way!

We used the park as a home base to visit Gettysburg, and Philadelphia (that was a long day of driving) and spent one day at the park and a long morning at Hershey world before heading to Niagara falls.

If it wasn't so far for us, I'm sure we would go every year. we have been to many theme parks and I have to say Hershey was one of the very best. I hope you and your granddaughter enjoy the trip as much the DW, boys and I did!

PS TTChamp is for a game we play.... had no idea it had a completely different meaning on this forum.
:confused:
TTChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #6

HighMeadow campground. If you are going in April there should be plenty of sites available. I called for May and they had lots of availability. The shuttle service and preview night for Hershey Park is a wonderful bonus!
smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #7

Just one word of warning. If you camp at High Meadow beware that the train going to the Hershey factory goes right by the campground and blows its whistle in the middle of the night. I haven't camped there, but that is the only bad thing I have heard about the campground.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #8

We are taking a trip to Hershey Highmeadow this year also. Sounded nice online.....we will see. Thanks for the info champ.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2008 Ford F-150 FX4 W/tow package
Roadmaster Active Suspension
Edge CT Programer
pddjr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #9

Hello, I would second staying at hershey high medow. It was a nice clean campground and the shuttle service back and forth to the park meant I did not have to move my superduty one time that week. We bought the three day pass and stayed the week so we would go to the park then take a break. However as stated they do pack you tight. I could not even open my awning at our sight because of a tree. If I stayed there again I would get a pull thru again, but ask for an end sight. Also could not have a fire to close to other campers probally could have but not that kind of person to do that to another camper, It was tight. Well good luck with what you choose any questions I can help with ask.
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #10

Wow... Sounds like they pack you in there. We will be there for 7 days with pddjr25. Hopefully we end up wit decent sites.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Here's the site we had at the Elizabethtown KOA. Spacious

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
Wow... Sounds like they pack you in there. We will be there for 7 days with pddjr25. Hopefully we end up wit decent sites.

Is there an area that provides a bit of space and full hook-ups? I never realized how popular this area is. I'm really looking forward to Spring warm up so we can go.

Mike
Old 03-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike12110 View Post
Is there an area that provides a bit of space and full hook-ups? I never realized how popular this area is. I'm really looking forward to Spring warm up so we can go.

Mike

Mike, We have not been here before. Going this summer. I have heard all good things about the campground with the exception of the train and it's tight. We do have 2 pull through sites so hopefully we will have a great time!

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #14

Hershey Highmeadows easy to get to and during some months provide free shuttle, discount on tickets.
2013 Ram 2500 HD, 4WD, CC, SB, 5.7L
2013 Jayco 228BH
ram2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #15

Hi Mike,

If you can do with Electric, water and tv hookup -- no sewer -- sites #39 - 51 they are in yellow up by the cabins on the map are not overly crowded. We stayed in #39 when we were there... these have much more space between them than the pull through sites in what they call the Woodland Area.

The only draw back, other that no sewer hookup is that its a longer walk to the shuttle that picks up and drops off behind the campground store. Oh and it is an up hill walk back to the campsite from the store.

hope that helps.

Rick

PS TTChamp is for a game we play.... had no idea it had a completely different meaning on this forum.
:confused:
TTChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #16

I live in Elizabethtown, so needless to say I am very familier with this region.

I never used Highmeadow since it's only 25 mins. from my house, but we visited it and walked around. To others' point, they really do pack you in there (sardine can). I personally would be chlostraphobic, so as long as you are OK with very little privacy/very few trees, go for it. It puts you right in the heart of Hershey attractions (and the noise that comes with it, as others pointed out).

I have never been to the Elizabethtown KOA, but simply based on its location, you are going to have more room/trees and less noise than Highmeadow. Although you would need to drive into Hershey if you stay there, it's a pleasant 15-20 minute drive in on a 2 lane country road. The other benefit of staying here is, it places you a little closer to the Lancaster attractions (about 30-45 minutes away).

As a sidenote, one amusement in Lancaster that I would HIGHLY recommend is Dutch Wonderland (I believe they are owned by Hersheypark now, but don't quote me on that). It is a fantastic amusement park, extremely clean, stellar customer service and the rides are geared for kids up to about 10-12....adults can go on allot of the rides also. A private campground directly by this amusement park is the Old Millstream Campground, which is the very first place we set our new camper up to become familiar with it. We were there off-season, so although they have trees and a stream that goes through it, you will hear the amusement park noises, but it's very convenient to the park and other things in the area.

http://www.oldmillstreamcampground.com/

http://dutchwonderland.com/
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #17

We are planning our first camping trip in our new 2013 28DSBH that we picked up last October and we're headed to Hershey, PA during April school vacation.

After looking around, we settled on Pinch Pond. It was rated by Woodalls and Trailer Life as one of the top campgrounds in the state. It's close to Hershey and Lancaster, maybe within 30 minutes or so. From what I can see, it looks really nice. If anyone has any inputs, I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding this campground.

You might also want to know that Hersheypark is having a "Springtime in the Park" event the weekend of April 13/14, so we are planning on being in the park on April 14th. Everyone is excited and we can't wait for our first trip.

Andy S.
North Central Massachusetts

2010 Silverado 1500 Crew
2013 Jayco White Hawk 28 DSBH
Buggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #18

We stayed at Highmeadow last year...the full hook-up sites are the farthest from the train tracks.....but make no mistake, you WILL hear them and they run (mostly) at night. We were in site #84 (no septic) right next to the tracks....the trains didn't bother us at all. In fact, my wife liked the sound during the night.... Happy Camping
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #19

Thanks for the input! That campground sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Due to family health problems it looks like I'm going to have to push my trip back to May. But.... again thanks.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #20

We stayed at Pinch Pond campground in Manhiem, PA when we went to the Hershy RV show last year. Very nice campground, nice sites, very friendly staff. We were there for a week, and used it for a base while we visited the sites. I highly recommend the Sight and Sound theater, it would be wonderful for a five year old.
MikeyInNY is offline   Reply With Quote