Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2014, 05:19 AM   #1

Honda 1000 generator enough?

Will a little honda 1000 generator be enough to run my lights, water pump, and furnace? Going to try dry camping and thinking about getting a used little gen to help out.

Thanks!
Azildonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:47 AM   #2

Yes. It will do just fine.
The only things you can't run is air conditioner, microwave, and water heater on electric.
Also, when dry camping with a generator run the refrigerator on propane.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #3

I agree with tnchuck.
If you wanted to be certain, you could check the wattage rating on your furnace fan motor and water pump, then add up the number of lights x their wattage to get an idea of your wattage needs. I am guessing that number would be far less than 1000 watts. I think that generator is 1000 surge/start-up watts and 900 running, I think it will be plenty.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #4

The furnace will drain you battery right down over night, so it will need to be recharged every day. If I was going to get a generator that is the one I would be looking for. What I like about the 1000, is it is extremely quite. I have barrowed a Honda 200EU, and I was surprised how loud it was. We have been camping a few times where someone has a 1000 EU, and until you walk almost right up on it, you do not hear it. The major disadvantage is the lack of ability to use microwave, and AC. To me that is not a big deal, but for others that is a deal breaker.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #5

My first problem I ran into with using my generator was being allowed to run it. Almost all of the camp grounds we went to here on the East Side of the US had generator run time time restrictions including the public Natl Forest areas. The times allowed were usually 8AM to 10AM and then again 4:30PM to 8PM. Some Natl Park areas will have 8AM to 8PM. No where did we find any public camp ground where you could run the generator after 8PM or all night long. I am guessing out WEST there are quite a few DISPERSED Camping sites where anything goes generator wise but not so at the places we go to here on the East side. I'm sure there such places (mostly Private Places maybe) but not the NORM for sure.

With all of this in mind I decided to beef up my trailer to run everything we wanted to have from the batteries. Installed smart mode converter/charger, beefed up battery cables, added additional batteries, installed LED lights, etc.

I ended up with 255AH Battery capacity and a 60AMP PD9260C Converter setup. This will recharge my battery bank up to their 90% charge state in a three hour generator run time which will fit-in with most camp ground rules on how long you can run the generator. When camping we can do the 50% to 90% charge states cycles using the generator for 12-14 times before having to do a full 100% charge state which will take a good 12 hours of generator run time which the camp grounds does not allow. This is usually when we head back for the house.

The only reason I have my generator is to re-charge my batteries so the size of it has to be large enough to run my on-board smart mode converter/charger PD9260C unit. This requires right at 1000WATTs. The 1KW Honda generator will only produce around 850 WATTS or so so isn't big enough to run the PD9260C. I use the 2KW Honda Generator to re-charge my batteries. During Breakfast when the generator is running I will brew up my fresh ground bean coffee for the day and keep in the thermos. During Supper we might run the generator to run our electric skillet for a couple of hours but mostly eat from the propane fired grill.

We run just about everything we would normally run at electric sites with the exception of the Air Conditioner and the high wattage Microwave. Able to run most everything else direct connected to the battery bank or from a 600WATT Pure Sine Wave INVERTER. The biggest battery drain of course is between 4PM and 11PM each evening. Watch HDTV every night and play with my Ham radio some as well. Camping during the summer/fall season is pretty forgiving as far as the furnace is concerned. The furnace fan is a big battery drain.

Works out great for us camping off the power grid running off our 255AH capacity battery bank with the plan of re-charging the battery bank each morning at 8AM so we can do it all over again for the next day/night run off the batteries.

Our next step is too add some SOLAR panels to help us not have to run the generator so long each day. Each SOLAR PANEL only would give us around 5-6 AMPS of DC Current so can't replace the generator totally for us with all the drain we have. I have to start each evening with my 255AH capacity battery bank at 90% charge state otherwise it will get dark on me around 10PM at night.

My generator USE story... You might get away with a 1KW Generator if your battery drain is less... We like to light-up our camp site every night haha...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote