Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #1

Hot-Cold water valves reversed

I picked up a 2015 White Hawk 27DSRL earlier this year. On our first outing I noticed the hot (left side) - cold (right side) valves were reversed on the kitchen sink/ shower/ bath sink. This was using a city water connection. Didn't think much about it until this week, when we used our fresh water supply with the pump and then hot / cold valves went back the other way, with the exception the toilet uses hot water. It appears that when the trailer was built they (Jayco) tied the city water feed to the hot water supply side. This, of course, would reverse the supply lines and cause the hot water tank to operate with a backward water flow. I'm not sure of the long term effect this might have on the HW tank. Anybody else had this problem and should I just leave it alone? This certainty does not say much for Jayco's QA/QC
jbnimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #2

Your description does sound strange. You state the toilet is getting hot water. If that is the case I would have ALL of the plumbing checked. Something is definitely amiss.

If the city water is plumbed into the hot water lines as you state I would absolutely have the dealer correct it.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:58 AM   #3

Dealer warranty trip is required..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnimble View Post
It appears that when the trailer was built they (Jayco) tied the city water feed to the hot water supply side. This, of course, would reverse the supply lines and cause the hot water tank to operate with a backward water flow. ... This certainty does not say much for Jayco's QA/QC
Hmmm, and this observation is written in humor, just wondering if it was done on purpose and the installer reads these posts for a chuckle?

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

Have you visually checked to see if indeed the city water supply is connected to the hot water lines or are you assuming that "(Jayco) tied the city water feed to the hot water supply side". Have you also checked to see if any of the bypass valves are in the position that they should be in?

On my TT I can visually see where the city water and the pump connect. But I also know that on different models that it may not be easy to see that connection. That would be the first thing to check and also if you can take a picture of the connection.

Also please keep the forum updated on the problem and the results of correcting it. It may help others in the future.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #6

Check the position of the winterizing valves. It sounds like they are in the wrong position.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #7

Its kinda hard for me to see how the lines can be reversed. There is only one city water connection. Both the city water input input and the output of the fresh water tank both feed the same point feeding the faucets and things...

This is one typical water flow diagram...

This water flow diagram is more like what my water flow setup is using. My city water port will not fill my fresh water tank. I have to do that manually by adding fresh water to the manual fill port on the fresh water tank.

I can easily see how the HW heater bypass valve can add cold water to the hot water but not the other way around...

My trailer has three valves to operate to go from NORMAL MODE to BYPASS MODE. Have never really traced out the single bypass valve operations...

This is my HW BYPASS Valve operation...

Also my hot water heater will not put out HOT WATER FLOW unless the cold water flow has an input flow from the cold water side. This is the only way it will pressure up to output hot water... Hot Water just will not flow out unless the HW tank is pressurized.

Seems to be mystery to me what you are describing...

Where do you think the cross over has been done???

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #8

Thanks Roy Nice post
With colder weather coming all to soon this should be a sticky as I am sure there will be many more questions when it comes time to winterize
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #9

Does seam odd, but a few others I recall commenting on something similar. As I recall the problem was with the winterizing valves. Check there position. If that is not it then, a warranty call is called for.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:50 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone here who have responded. My city water connection is on the driver’s side and first feeds the toilet and external shower (cold valve); it then runs under to the other side of the trailer to where the HW tank is located and at some point ties in to rest of the plumbing. I can not actually see the connection, only report the effects. I do see the fresh water pump connection, which is tied to the cold side. When using the pump the water runs back to the toilet using the shared city water connection, that’s when I discovered the water to toilet was then hot. The only conclusion is the connection that runs under the trailer was tied into the wrong (hot) side. I am hesitant on going to the dealer to rip this apart. My only concern is the HW tank having cold water coming in on the hot side output. Not sure if this reduces efficiency of the HW heater or shortens life of it. If it does then perhaps I should have this fixed under warranty. Otherwise the water flows fine.
Hope everyone is enjoying this fine Labor day weekend...
And the HW bypass are in the correct posistion
Old 09-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #11

I would take it back to the dealer as it is less than a year old and have them fix it. It shouldn't cost you a dime unless you changed the plumbing in some way. They will have to back charge Jayco for their investigative work and the repair. Not you.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:53 PM   #12

Time for a trip to the dealer for some warranty work, IMHO.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnimble View Post
And the HW bypass are in the correct posistion
I know you have already checked this, but maybe take another look? It's sort of the only thing that would explain what is happening. If not, I sure would like to know what the diagnosis is.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #14

Hot-Cold valves reversed

I removed the access cover under the shower and found the two water lines that come from under the trailer to tie in to the internal water lines. One is the cold city water feed. The other is the hot supply side returning to the external shower. They are an inch apart with 90 degree elbows connecting things together. It probably got transposed during build time. This would cause the symptoms I have. Easy mistake if you not paying attention. Looking at attached picture notice one of the hoses is sprayed black. This was probably an identifier. Hoses look like they were then cut to install elbows and put back wrong. Anyhow going back to dealer in late Sept to have it corrected.
Attached Thumbnails
JaycoWaterFeed.jpg  
Old 09-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #15

Thanks for explaining the mystery; it sure looks like those two lines in your picture are connected wrong.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Thanks for explaining the mystery; it sure looks like those two lines in your picture are connected wrong.
Update -- Went to dealer. They opened up the underbelly and cut and swapped the lines. Under the shower was too tight. Two wrongs do make it right. All faucets are now correct.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:10 PM   #17

I have not looked but are all water lines the same color pex tubing? Would think color coded lines would eliminate this issue without much cost. Glad it was an easy fix.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I have not looked but are all water lines the same color pex tubing? Would think color coded lines would eliminate this issue without much cost. Glad it was an easy fix.
They are all white, some have a small amount of black spray paint on them for an identifier.