Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #1

How do we level trailer with slides?

Getting ready to take delivery of our new White Hawk 30dsre from the factory. Since this is our first TT with slides I was wondering about the proper way to level it on a site.

I have posted a link above to a video from a dealer that says to extend slides while still hooked to TV then use levelers for left/right leveling. My question is will this hurt the slides allignment to move TT with slides fully extended? One slide is a short slide using a Schwintek and the slide on opposite side is 36' deep using the typical cog & gear type slide.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #2

I should also mention that our new trailer will have the electric stabalizer jacks that drop at the same time left & right either in front or back depending which switch I go to first (front or rear).

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
Old 08-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #3

I may do it wrong,, but I determine how much I need to raise one side or the other,back on the my blocks,(I block under both axels) chock the wheels,unhook,level front to back,extend my electric stabilizers,extend the slide,let the wife take over inside while I hook up the utilitys. I guess I never noticed the slide making that much of a diff.
I always undesrtood that you should be fairly close to level when you extend the slide.
1 wife
2 spoiled cihuahua's
rugerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #4

I level first, and pull slides second.
MacMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerguy View Post
I may do it wrong,, but I determine how much I need to raise one side or the other,back on the my blocks,(I block under both axels) chock the wheels,unhook,level front to back,extend my electric stabilizers,extend the slide,let the wife take over inside while I hook up the utilitys. I guess I never noticed the slide making that much of a diff.
I always undesrtood that you should be fairly close to level when you extend the slide.
This is what we do. Never seen anyone extend the slides first and then unhook.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Site Team

Three fivers with slides in my past. I always level the rig side to side, then disconnect and raise or lower to level front to back. Then open slides.

Reverse procedure when leaving.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #7

I would think that extending the slides before being level might lead to them snagging or catching. Personally, I always extend and bring in my slides while level.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

This works for my TT:

Check for "opened slide" interferences (trees, shore power post, etc.), and that slide(s) when opened won't be in neighbor's campsite (courtesy thing for me.. especially when sites are small/narrow).

Level side-to-side (wood boards if necessary), block tires, plug in shore power.

Unhitch TV/TT, level front-to-back, lower corner stabilizers, install tire chocks.

Open slide(s), re-check stabilizers.

Sample beverage from frig for correct temp.

Bob

ps: I carry a collapsing ladder to check slide roof for debris before closing.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
Site Team

I have encountered a noticeable drop on the slide-out side after leveling and then extending the slide. This is natural, since you are altering the center of balance by 500 - 700 lbs and the leverage comes in to play here. I got tired of leveling left/right and then unhitching and finding that the interior doors swing toward the slide-out side. The bubble level is between 1 to 2 notches off from center (after extending slide-out). Granted every TT will have its own amount of tilt.

So at the last campground, I got the TT level with the slide "IN" and aligned the left/right bubble level to be perfectly level. Next I extended the slide-out, and marked the bubble level. I then took the difference on the bubble level and marked it on the opposite side of the "0" mark (which compensates for the additional tilt that the slide causes). Now when I set up, the levels are preset to compensate for the slide-out. No more swinging doors when I extend the slide out.
Camp Ground Process -
- Pull in space
- Disconnect sway-bars (will also affect left/right level)
- Level left/right by bubble level (pre adjusted to compensate for extending slide out)
- Insert wheel chocks (under both axles both sides)
- Disconnect from TV
- Connect shore power
- Extend slide (after shore power hooked up.. saves battery charge)
- And as "BOB" suggested, "Sample beverage from frig for correct temp.
"

Works for me
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #10

Thanks Mustang75. Your process seems to make the best sense using a compensation method. Guess I'll be playing with the new TT and then adding a bubble level after I get the tilt factored in.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #11

Level L to R before anything else. Then chock and disconnect TV. Level F to R and extend corner supports. If on firm site, I've never noticed any sag from the slides when extended. Maybe need to check it out next time I set up. Any way never heard an RV dealer say to extend and then level. With my ability to forget my name, I'd end up trying to move to a different site and rip the slide off hitting a tree.

Side Note: Pulled into CG office parking lot to return a bathroom key and a fellow pointed out that I had left the TV ant up. Thanked him and went inside the TT and lowered the ant. Upon returning to my TV, was again flagged down by a passerby who pointed to my extended slide, which I had partially opened so I could get back to the rear for the TV Ant. Get my point.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #12

My current rig has two slides on the same side. I learned to compensate for the expected sag using a level. I put slides out last othewise I have to crawl under one of them to hook stuff up.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #13

I always level with the side with two slides just a little bit higher than level. Then when the slides are extended everything is level. I check for level side to side and then add a 2X8 on the side with slides. If you end up being low on the slide side you can't raise it enough with the stabilizer jacks. Wow, to many slides and sides.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #14

Agree with Clutch. I put 1/2 in. padboards under the slide side wheels. That usually levels out the trailer because my Eagle 320 RLDS has 2 big slides.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #15

My Jayco manual says to have the trailer level before moving the slides.