Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2015, 04:47 PM   #11

No your not missing anything. That is how my 185RB came. My dealer swears all the swift series trailers are like that to keep the weight down. I feel it is like that because two bolts are cheaper than a bracket. If it is to keep the weight down why do Jayco tent trailers have brackets? I ended up replacing the bolts with padlocks, then using a ratchet strap to secure. Then put a tank cover on it to dress it up.

jimmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #12

Did your cover fit ok with the way the tank is recessed on the tongue? I'd like to get one.

rangerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #13
Site Team

I would do what ever needed to be done to make it un-wiggly. To heck with a couple of lbs of tongue weight. buy a single tank bracket and bolt it or weld it.

I don't want to meet a 20lb propane tank going down the highway! Oh No!

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Then the answer is "you are missing some parts".

The propane bottle should be mechanically clamped in place. When you grab hold of it and shake, the whole trailer should move.

Do some googleing on "Propane Rack" and see what is supposed to be there.

At the least, there should be a ring or a series of arcs to keep the tank from sliding around and some form of clamp to hold it down.
This was the way our 2014 StarCraft AR One RB15 ,traded, was
secured and yes it wiggled. It did not have clamps or a ring.
pmames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #15

I like to fix stuff so 5 Gallon RV Dual LPG Tank Trailer Rack Complete, 1801.1 add a second bottle : propane exchange? Wiggles gone and you won't run dry. Few $$ more MEGR-9984 RV Trailer LP Propane Regulator 2 Stage Automatic auto change over under $75 plus the exchange bottle
2007 Layton 245LF (sold)

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore View Post
No your not missing anything. That is how my 185RB came. My dealer swears all the swift series trailers are like that to keep the weight down. I feel it is like that because two bolts are cheaper than a bracket. If it is to keep the weight down why do Jayco tent trailers have brackets? I ended up replacing the bolts with padlocks, then using a ratchet strap to secure. Then put a tank cover on it to dress it up.
This would seem to be a true statememt - my 195RB Baja came this way as well. Here is a link to thread showing how I solved the problem - end result is a solid tank with no wiggle:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ort-26070.html

I believe I've seen a couple other threads on this same issue with different solutions - I'll see if I can find them as well.

EDIT: Here's the other link I had seen regarding the propane tank - I like how this one turned out but saw it after I did mine :-( At some point I may retro-fit mine like this....

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...tml#post280376
Old 10-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #17

Not sure if I've done this correctly - but I installed this LP tank holder on our Jayco 185 SRB. It works great! It's a lot better solution than the Mickey Mouse setup that Jayco provided!
http://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carl...lp+tank+holder
krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcarter54 View Post
Not sure if I've done this correctly - but I installed this LP tank holder on our Jayco 185 SRB. It works great! It's a lot better solution than the Mickey Mouse setup that Jayco provided!
http://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carl...lp+tank+holder
How did you mount that? Does it have to be welded on? That's the one skill I don't have.
rangerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdoc View Post
How did you mount that? Does it have to be welded on? That's the one skill I don't have.
I simply drilled 2 holes and bolted it to the existing angle iron that the LP tank sets on. I also installed a self tapping screw through this mount and into the trailer frame rail. I did away with the original Mickey Mouse bolts and nuts located at the bottom of the tank. They were a royal pain in the @** to remove when it was time to fill the tank! What an absolute joke!
krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:51 AM   #20
Site Team

A welding shop around here would do that job for less than $50 bucks.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote