Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #1

Question How do you secure your LP bottle?

I don't like how my LP bottle is secured to my 184BH (single 20# tank). It is just two bolts and a nut. Even though the nuts are secured tight the bottle is still very wiggly because of the large holes at the bottom of the tank. I used a bungee cord to help hold it a little, but it looks bad. I'm also going to add a cover to the front for protection and looks. How does your tank secure to the trailer or are they all wiggly?
rangerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #2

First, "secured" means just that. Securely attached to the RV.

My old trailer had a band that wrapped around the tank with a nut&bolt to tighten the band. The band was welded to the tongue via some brackets.

The new trailer has two 30# tanks that are held down by a bar across the holes in the top collars. The bar is secured to the tongue by a threaded rod and wingnut.

Take your whole securing system apart and re-examine all the piece. Is anything broken? Missing? Bent?
Look at how the pieces interact when the threaded parts a operated. Re-read the manual for a picture of how the pieces are supposed to look and lock on the tank.

A few minutes of pondering the parts and attempts at re-assembly will reveal how it will work properly.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #3

There is nothing to my system to inspect. It is simply a tank sitting on the A-frame with two bolts going through the holes on the bottom of the tank. My manual has no diagram and this is all it says, there has to be a better way so it doesn't bounce around:

Secure the cylinder to the A-frame bracket using the bolts, nuts and washers provided.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:41 PM   #4

Then the answer is "you are missing some parts".

The propane bottle should be mechanically clamped in place. When you grab hold of it and shake, the whole trailer should move.

Do some googleing on "Propane Rack" and see what is supposed to be there.

At the least, there should be a ring or a series of arcs to keep the tank from sliding around and some form of clamp to hold it down.

And proud of it!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:48 PM   #5

I have the same setup as you on my 228 jay feather and it wiggles too. The holes don't line up well so the tank don't sit flat. Very thin metal plate with two turn up sides that the tank sits on as well so i put a fresh spray of paint every time i change out the tank to keep the rust down.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #6

Ok, so you have the mounting plate.

There should be a pair of long bolts or threaded rod (over 20" each) with hooks that catch the collar that protects the valve. Nuts are tightened to hold the propane tank against the mounting plate.

What's missing?

And proud of it!
Old 10-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #7

Here's a picture of a brand new one. It looks to be secured the same way as mine, just a couple bolts underneath. All the other pictures online look the same. And after taking a better look at it I'm not sure a cover will go on there either.
Attached Thumbnails
dont_copy.jpg  
Old 10-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #8

Found a picture without the tank. The tank sits on those first two cross beams and each one has a hole in the middle to secure the bolt through the holes on the bottom of the tank. I hate to say it, but I don't think there is anything else from the factory. Just bad design. The tank won't fall off, but seem crazy to allow it to be wiggly on there.
Attached Thumbnails
dont_copy.jpg  
Old 10-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #9
Site Team

This may be what you're looking for.Single-Bottle Liquid Propane Gas Rack 2020-JR
$17.95 from etrailer.com

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #10

I actually saw that as well. I'm not sure how I would secure it to the tongue though. I did find this picture of what looks like a couple battery hold down posts and a rubber strap holding down the tank. At least it would keep it from wobbling. On etrailer I found a more weather resistant rubber strap with a couple hooks. I may look at that as well. I just know my bungee cord will wear out quickly when exposed to the elements.
Attached Thumbnails
attachment.jpg  
Old 10-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #11

No your not missing anything. That is how my 185RB came. My dealer swears all the swift series trailers are like that to keep the weight down. I feel it is like that because two bolts are cheaper than a bracket. If it is to keep the weight down why do Jayco tent trailers have brackets? I ended up replacing the bolts with padlocks, then using a ratchet strap to secure. Then put a tank cover on it to dress it up.
jimmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #12

Did your cover fit ok with the way the tank is recessed on the tongue? I'd like to get one.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:46 PM   #13
Site Team

I would do what ever needed to be done to make it un-wiggly. To heck with a couple of lbs of tongue weight. buy a single tank bracket and bolt it or weld it.

I don't want to meet a 20lb propane tank going down the highway! Oh No!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Then the answer is "you are missing some parts".

The propane bottle should be mechanically clamped in place. When you grab hold of it and shake, the whole trailer should move.

Do some googleing on "Propane Rack" and see what is supposed to be there.

At the least, there should be a ring or a series of arcs to keep the tank from sliding around and some form of clamp to hold it down.
This was the way our 2014 StarCraft AR One RB15 ,traded, was
secured and yes it wiggled. It did not have clamps or a ring.
pmames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #15

I like to fix stuff so 5 Gallon RV Dual LPG Tank Trailer Rack Complete, 1801.1 add a second bottle : propane exchange? Wiggles gone and you won't run dry. Few $$ more MEGR-9984 RV Trailer LP Propane Regulator 2 Stage Automatic auto change over under $75 plus the exchange bottle
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore View Post
No your not missing anything. That is how my 185RB came. My dealer swears all the swift series trailers are like that to keep the weight down. I feel it is like that because two bolts are cheaper than a bracket. If it is to keep the weight down why do Jayco tent trailers have brackets? I ended up replacing the bolts with padlocks, then using a ratchet strap to secure. Then put a tank cover on it to dress it up.
This would seem to be a true statememt - my 195RB Baja came this way as well. Here is a link to thread showing how I solved the problem - end result is a solid tank with no wiggle:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ort-26070.html

I believe I've seen a couple other threads on this same issue with different solutions - I'll see if I can find them as well.

EDIT: Here's the other link I had seen regarding the propane tank - I like how this one turned out but saw it after I did mine :-( At some point I may retro-fit mine like this....

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...tml#post280376
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #17

Not sure if I've done this correctly - but I installed this LP tank holder on our Jayco 185 SRB. It works great! It's a lot better solution than the Mickey Mouse setup that Jayco provided!
http://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carl...lp+tank+holder
krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcarter54 View Post
Not sure if I've done this correctly - but I installed this LP tank holder on our Jayco 185 SRB. It works great! It's a lot better solution than the Mickey Mouse setup that Jayco provided!
http://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carl...lp+tank+holder
How did you mount that? Does it have to be welded on? That's the one skill I don't have.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdoc View Post
How did you mount that? Does it have to be welded on? That's the one skill I don't have.
I simply drilled 2 holes and bolted it to the existing angle iron that the LP tank sets on. I also installed a self tapping screw through this mount and into the trailer frame rail. I did away with the original Mickey Mouse bolts and nuts located at the bottom of the tank. They were a royal pain in the @** to remove when it was time to fill the tank! What an absolute joke!
krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:51 AM   #20
Site Team

A welding shop around here would do that job for less than $50 bucks.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote