Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #1

How's this for a really weird question....

When an illness, etc occurs, you look at changes that might have been a cause so here goes. On the third day my two dogs and I spent in our new 21FBS WhiteHawk, I noticed my golden retriever was really shedding large white flakes. She had never had skin problems before. I gave her a bath in shampoo I had used before (she had had a rare "spa" shampoo a couple weeks before so I thought they might have used something that caused it) but it didn't go away. Now that we've been in the camper 3 weeks, with no exaggeration, it looks like she has snow on her. My other dog has some flakes too but I'm wondering if he's just picking up what is dropping off her. Her skin looks normal.

So I've heard some people are sensitive to stuff (is it formaldehyde?) in new campers and have to air it out a lot. I haven't smelled anything but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had something like this happen with a pet in a new unit?
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Never heard it causing the problem you are experiencing. Have you aired the rig out or or you full timing?

We had some out gassing in another new rig but our last one sat on the dealers lot for almost a year and we had no complaints. Many report eyes watering and such but never heard of it affecting pets that way. Have you noticed any other pet related problems like changes in appetite or drinking?

Hope you can get a handle on it, we have to take care of our pets.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #3

We had the issue in our JayFlight for several weeks... both humans and dogs sneezing.

We had the Maxxair covers put on both vents, and after several days of driving with the vents open, the smell mostly went away. I think that the vent covers sucked the air in the front and out the back, and really helped clear it out.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #4

I haven't noticed anything and I usually will itch or get headaches myself if something is weird. One of my best friends is a vet but I won't be home for another couple of weeks and was trying to wait to see her. It's supposed to get warm here tomorrow so I may give the dog a bath in some of the "fixes" others swear by. I was trying not to overbathe her but it's been a couple of weeks now. It might not have anything at all to do with the camper but if others mentioned having issues like that when they got a new camper, I thought I'd head straight home at the end of the month rather than wandering a bit as originally planned.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #5

We have a 1 year old 100# black lab. The only time he ever shed excessively is when he had an old wool blanket in his crate that he would tear small pieces off of it and eat. They would come out in his poop. Got rid of the blanket, no more problem.
He has never had a bath and believe it or not, smells ok; maybe a little doggie if he is soaking wet.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #6

There might be something on the cushions or on any carpet.

Have you changed her diet at all? Could be stress related, is she use to camping? A teaspoon of vegetable oil in her dry food can help their skin.

We recently moved any our neighbor's dog sheds like what you are describing.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:16 PM   #7

DH had a week-long workshop in Stockton so instead of booking a hotel, he hauled the TT, me, and dog along. We stayed at a Good Sam where I teleworked, fixed meals, and got out only to walk the dog. No skin or allergy problems for anyone - but our dog continues to get a daily beta-carotene pill as prescribed by our vet since she developed skin bumps as a pup (that problem went away and she has a very healthy coat).

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:43 AM   #8

Yeah, there are some other things that might be causes which I'm exploring. For example, she's been on NexGuard for two months rather than Frontline and flaking is one of the things mentioned for it. But I just wanted to see if anyone else had issues when they stayed in a new camper. so far, I'm not hearing that so I think I might rule that out.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #9

We have a goldendoodle and a cockapoo and with our new one last year we didn't have any of those problems. We had it out 2 days after it arrived from the factory. We didn't get to really air it out as it was hot and we ran the air all week. Good luck , I know dogs cant talk and wont complain but I feel sorry for them.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #10

Maybe a long shot based on the symptoms you're describing, but you might check the water. A while back, I had de-winterized our trailer, but I didn't sufficiently rinse the pipes out. I was in a hurry, and since we don't drink or cook with the water from the rig, (we bring a 5 gal jug of filtered RO water to drink and cook with) I thought "oh well, I'll just rinse them out while we use it this weekend". Well, I didn't tell DW about it, and while she was setting up inside, she filled the dog's water bowl from the faucet. Later that night, he was acting weird, wouldn't touch his water, but you could tell he was thirsty. So I asked her about it, and she told me she filled his bowl from the tap. I dumped the tap water out and filled it with water from our jug and he drank like he just walked out of a desert.

Now I know the AF is not supposed to make you sick, and I know our dog is a bit sensitive with his water. He's as spoiled as we are. But it's worth a check. Between that and the stress of a new environment and the gassing off of all the new construction materials, you never know. Dogs sometimes have weird reactions you might not expect to seemingly benign environmental changes.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:32 PM   #11

One of our cats has bad allergies. He sneezes a lot and once many years ago we had bought one of those plug in air fresheners because my wife had a coupon. He got all flaky and was chewing the hair off the base of his tail. The only change was the air freshener. We now have to give a pill every few days to help control his allergies.

That said, allergies in pets are pretty common. I'd gas out that trailer as much as possible and get the dog into the vet and see what they say.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:08 PM   #12

When I was finishing my basement my dog had developed small bumps all over with the dander. She has short hair otherwise I probably won't have noticed the bumps. What I found that caused this was the 2x4 studs. Once all the saw dust was cleaned up and the sheetrock was on the symptoms went away. Same thing happened with my uncle's dog.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaneta View Post
When an illness, etc occurs, you look at changes that might have been a cause so here goes. On the third day my two dogs and I spent in our new 21FBS WhiteHawk, I noticed my golden retriever was really shedding large white flakes. She had never had skin problems before. I gave her a bath in shampoo I had used before (she had had a rare "spa" shampoo a couple weeks before so I thought they might have used something that caused it) but it didn't go away. Now that we've been in the camper 3 weeks, with no exaggeration, it looks like she has snow on her. My other dog has some flakes too but I'm wondering if he's just picking up what is dropping off her. Her skin looks normal.

So I've heard some people are sensitive to stuff (is it formaldehyde?) in new campers and have to air it out a lot. I haven't smelled anything but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had something like this happen with a pet in a new unit?
I had sorta the same problem as our toilet doubled as the dogs water bowl, I figured he was getting dandruff from drinking the trailer water as every time he came in white stuff was all over him.. Then one day as I was dumping the neighbors bbq that I use when he goes in for the night I noticed him rolling in the white ashes... Long story short.. Watch him when he goes outside and don't dump your neighbors ashes close to your trailer.. Cheers.

Dash, Marie & Tazzie ( short for the devil from Tazmania) English bull terrier.
2014 Eagle 316RKDS
2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
When I pass on I want it to be like my grandpa in my sleep... Not like the screaming folks in the car with him..
The Dster is offline   Reply With Quote