Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
Hummingbird 17FD storage solutions

Where do you put your stuff? Our 17FD is finally home, it's -5º, and we are mentally organizing the trailer. Storage is quite limited and we are trying to figure out storage for clothes, groceries etc. Most of the inside access is filled with water heaters, furnace, water pump and other mechanicals. Thanks for the input!

Second question: the four LED's on the front of the trailer. Silly question but where do you turn them on?

Third question: the lower large drawer on the kitchen slide is far enough to the right (1/2") that it interferes with the slide going in and out. I removed the drawer and the drawer guides are mounted on short pieces of wood just big enough for the guides. I've seen work by different dealers and I would really like to do it myself so I know what I have when I'm done. Has anyone done any mods to the drawer or guides?

Just waiting for the weather to break so I can get busy. Thanks again for any answers.

Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #2
What about using storage totes carried along in the car for camping essentials?

2008 Seneca 35GS
2008Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
Thanks 2008Seneca! The storage totes would surely work but I've read posts where people load similar trailers with 750#'s of "living essentials". I'm really curious where they stored it all. I guess as soon as it gets above freezing for a day I'll open the slide and we'll do a test pack and see how far we get. We don't travel heavy but loading this will surely need a creative touch.

I did find out from Jayco about the front lights. There is either a switch on the outside front panel parallel with the four lights or inside one of the storage compartments. Thanks Jon at Jayco.

The drawer is covered under warranty and the selling dealer can take care of the adjustments.

Hoping for some warmer weather

Old 02-07-2018, 06:30 AM   #4
We chose our 17RK for the extra storage, it seemed to have more storage options than the other floor plans, but still not a lot.

We use small plastic storage containers to keep all the smaller stuff in place. Been toying with the idea of putting a shelf over the bed, but afraid it will just become a head knocker....

If you look on the entry door side of the TT up front in line with the LED's you should see a little black rocker switch with a clear rubber cover over it, it looks like one of the LED's at first glance - see circled in red below.
Attached Thumbnails
Light Switch.jpg  
2017 Hummingbird 17RK Baja
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali 6.6L Duramax

01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #5
Thanks 01Tundra

Thanks for your input. My LED switch isn't there (??) Jayco said to check out the door side storage compartment for it. I'll go out and check. If it's not there, stranger things have happened I guess. Thanks for the picture!
Has anyone tried to hang a small cloth shelf unit with four compartments for clothes from command hooks over the foot end of the bed to store clothes in? I saw the shelves at Walmart. Aliner has something similar but their hooks are permanent that pop out of the ceiling. I'll have to check the command hooks to see what the weight limit is.
We have it pretty well figured out for what will go where and I'm sure it'll get rearranged ten times before we find out where we really want it.
Thanks again for your input.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:30 PM   #6
Excellent thread. We have a 17FD as well. Just finished our first summer and loved it. Still trying to figure out inside storage. Basically the two of us share a Trunkcratepro organizer in the little space under the bed where the furnace outlet is. And share the drawer under the fridge. We don’t come even close to filling the outside compartments. I’m adding and adhesive shelf near the bed for headlamps, books, etc. Need a better system for coats and dog leashes near the entrance. Look forward to seeing what you come up with...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2017 Hummingbird FD
Thighmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #7
Thanks! I'll check out the Trunkcratepro. Walmart carries that hanging 4 cube storage compartment I was talking about. Here is one at Target:

It's 27" high by 12" deep and 12" wide. I thought about the bathroom wall where the the 2nd TV mount is at. I was hoping command hooks would hold it in place but haven't been able to get out to try anything. I'll post some pictures when I can get out to try it.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:39 AM   #8
Ours falls down
Expect that especially over frost heaved roads. Carabiners that actually close would avoid that
We have way too much storage room
2012 Honda Ridgeline
2016 195 RB

Both well used. Now up to 170 nights camping and 40,000 miles on the TT since purchase.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #9
Hi Kim, Thanks for the tip on the Carabiners! Our setup is different from yours. Our only real concern is a lack of a closet or drawers to put clothes in. "Thighmaster" helped out with the Trunkcratepro (Hat Tip) and we will probably just do that or something similar. Hearing you have 170 nights and 40,000 miles makes me happy I went with Jayco. Sounds like you got a good one. I hope to duplicate your miles and nights! Happy Camping, Safe Travels!
Old 02-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #10
We just purchased the 2017 17RB (full size rear bath). Our first trip was Christmas in Key Largo. STORAGE STORAGE STORAGE - or should I say lack thereof..... My project this spring is creating storage inside. I just got the IKEA catalogue and will be scouring it's pages for ideas. I have seen a video about installing a shelf over the bed - and that is going to be my first priority.

We downsized from a 31foot motorhome because of city ordinances for driveway parking....

I'm going to have to get very creative :-)

2017 Hummingbird 17RB
CanucksVenturingSouth is offline   Reply With Quote