Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #1

Hummingbird 17FD storage solutions

Where do you put your stuff? Our 17FD is finally home, it's -5º, and we are mentally organizing the trailer. Storage is quite limited and we are trying to figure out storage for clothes, groceries etc. Most of the inside access is filled with water heaters, furnace, water pump and other mechanicals. Thanks for the input!

Second question: the four LED's on the front of the trailer. Silly question but where do you turn them on?

Third question: the lower large drawer on the kitchen slide is far enough to the right (1/2") that it interferes with the slide going in and out. I removed the drawer and the drawer guides are mounted on short pieces of wood just big enough for the guides. I've seen work by different dealers and I would really like to do it myself so I know what I have when I'm done. Has anyone done any mods to the drawer or guides?

Just waiting for the weather to break so I can get busy. Thanks again for any answers.
Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #2

What about using storage totes carried along in the car for camping essentials?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #3

Thanks 2008Seneca! The storage totes would surely work but I've read posts where people load similar trailers with 750#'s of "living essentials". I'm really curious where they stored it all. I guess as soon as it gets above freezing for a day I'll open the slide and we'll do a test pack and see how far we get. We don't travel heavy but loading this will surely need a creative touch.

I did find out from Jayco about the front lights. There is either a switch on the outside front panel parallel with the four lights or inside one of the storage compartments. Thanks Jon at Jayco.

The drawer is covered under warranty and the selling dealer can take care of the adjustments.

Hoping for some warmer weather

Jack
Old 02-07-2018, 07:30 AM   #4

We chose our 17RK for the extra storage, it seemed to have more storage options than the other floor plans, but still not a lot.

We use small plastic storage containers to keep all the smaller stuff in place. Been toying with the idea of putting a shelf over the bed, but afraid it will just become a head knocker....

If you look on the entry door side of the TT up front in line with the LED's you should see a little black rocker switch with a clear rubber cover over it, it looks like one of the LED's at first glance - see circled in red below.
Attached Thumbnails
Light Switch.jpg  

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #5

Thanks 01Tundra

Thanks for your input. My LED switch isn't there (??) Jayco said to check out the door side storage compartment for it. I'll go out and check. If it's not there, stranger things have happened I guess. Thanks for the picture!
Has anyone tried to hang a small cloth shelf unit with four compartments for clothes from command hooks over the foot end of the bed to store clothes in? I saw the shelves at Walmart. Aliner has something similar but their hooks are permanent that pop out of the ceiling. I'll have to check the command hooks to see what the weight limit is.
We have it pretty well figured out for what will go where and I'm sure it'll get rearranged ten times before we find out where we really want it.
Thanks again for your input.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:30 PM   #6

Excellent thread. We have a 17FD as well. Just finished our first summer and loved it. Still trying to figure out inside storage. Basically the two of us share a Trunkcratepro organizer in the little space under the bed where the furnace outlet is. And share the drawer under the fridge. We don’t come even close to filling the outside compartments. I’m adding and adhesive shelf near the bed for headlamps, books, etc. Need a better system for coats and dog leashes near the entrance. Look forward to seeing what you come up with...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #7

Thanks! I'll check out the Trunkcratepro. Walmart carries that hanging 4 cube storage compartment I was talking about. Here is one at Target:

It's 27" high by 12" deep and 12" wide. I thought about the bathroom wall where the the 2nd TV mount is at. I was hoping command hooks would hold it in place but haven't been able to get out to try anything. I'll post some pictures when I can get out to try it.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:39 AM   #8

Ours falls down
Expect that especially over frost heaved roads. Carabiners that actually close would avoid that
We have way too much storage room

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #9

Hi Kim, Thanks for the tip on the Carabiners! Our setup is different from yours. Our only real concern is a lack of a closet or drawers to put clothes in. "Thighmaster" helped out with the Trunkcratepro (Hat Tip) and we will probably just do that or something similar. Hearing you have 170 nights and 40,000 miles makes me happy I went with Jayco. Sounds like you got a good one. I hope to duplicate your miles and nights! Happy Camping, Safe Travels!
Old 02-14-2018, 02:51 PM   #10

We just purchased the 2017 17RB (full size rear bath). Our first trip was Christmas in Key Largo. STORAGE STORAGE STORAGE - or should I say lack thereof..... My project this spring is creating storage inside. I just got the IKEA catalogue and will be scouring it's pages for ideas. I have seen a video about installing a shelf over the bed - and that is going to be my first priority.

We downsized from a 31foot motorhome because of city ordinances for driveway parking....

I'm going to have to get very creative :-)
Old 02-14-2018, 03:20 PM   #11

Thanks for your input CanucksVenturingSouth! We also downsized from a motorhome so the lack of storage was concerning at first but little by little we are figuring out where everything should go. We opted for the FD (dinette) for the occasional Grandchild but doing so limited our storage. If you could post pictures of your shelf project it would be appreciated. Let me know if you find anything at Ikea that might work. Happy camping!
Old 02-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #12

Here is a link to a shelf over the bed. I'm not sure what you had in mind. While I hate to start drilling holes in the walls to mount anything this could be a solution for storing lite items:
Old 02-14-2018, 10:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack N Janet View Post
Here is a link to a shelf over the bed. I'm not sure what you had in mind. While I hate to start drilling holes in the walls to mount anything this could be a solution for storing lite items:

That’s awesome, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #14

On the '18 they moved the switch to the door side front storage compartment!
Old 02-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #15

Thank you. I don't like the look of that pvc pipe so I will look at modifying this idea. Where do you Hummingbird owners put your shoes ?
Old 02-20-2018, 03:37 PM   #16

Hi C.V.S., For the FD group there aren't a whole lot of choices. Either under the bed or under the dinette. We usually wear a pair and bring a pair. The spares go into the storage under the center dinette cushion.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #17

Hummingbird - What is acceptable build quality?

This is a duplicate from the general forum. Are other Hummingbirds coming off the line with the same problems?
I purchased a 2018 Hummingbird 17FD on 1/18/18 so I've had it a month. Today it's raining so I went out to check it for leaks and water is coming in from the street side rear roof joint over the rear window. I have not used the trailer yet as I had to move the large drawer under the fridge 1/2" to the left so the slide would go in and out without hanging up on the drawer and binding the slide. The dealer winterized it and I found pink antifreeze under the sink so it has a leak there. The plywood base under the bed and dinette is warped and doesn't lay flat so it creaks when you sit or lay on it depending on which end you are on. Some of the furring strips are split from haphazard screw insertion. The kitchen counter top is short by a fraction from reaching the wall and the lower cabinets have staples blown thru them and the sides aren't flush with large gaps. The large drawer, under the fridge, has the bottom falling out of it and nothing has ever been put into it. And the list goes on. Do I try to fix all of this myself or do I take it back to the dealer and drop it off until they can make it right. How good is their warranty? Do the craftsmen at Jayco own a square? Not apparent from the carpentry. Everything is stapled not screwed and glued as they advertise. Advise would be helpful. The walk around at the dealer was inside so leaks didn't really stand out until it was outside in the weather. I could use some encouragement. Thanks
Old 02-24-2018, 07:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack N Janet View Post
. Do I try to fix all of this myself or do I take it back to the dealer and drop it off until they can make it right. How good is their warranty?
I would be taking it back to the dealer. It has a 2yr warranty.

we purchased our 2017 17RB brand new last fall, took it to Key West for Christmas and found some problems (leak in the shower where the threads were crossed to the tap). Also found trim coming off inside. Took it in and it was fixed under warranty. We were then told the trim stuff is all 30 days after delivery. But they fixed it when we pressured them.

It sounds like there is a lot wrong with yours. Definitely bring it in and demand they make it right.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:18 PM   #19

Hi C.V.S.! We made out a problem list and took it back to the dealer who was extremely nice about taking it in for repairs. I did learn my lesson about where to purchase an RV. I paid a little more but chose the dealer that is four miles from my house. It's turning out to be a wise decision.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:29 PM   #20

2017 Hummingbird 17FD

So true, storage is a challenge. We've had our Hummingbird for 1.5 years and we have made full use of all available space. I installed a closet rod over the toilet and we use that for hanging a few clothing items on each side of the toilet (we don't use our shower). We roll up bath towels and washcloths and stack them next to the toilet and have all other towels in a container in the bed of the truck. We have Command caddies hanging on the wall on each side of the sink and a Command cup holder too. I took a plastic container with a lid that a roll of TP would fit in and cut a slot on the top to pull out the TP...sometimes the bathroom sink splashes and this keeps the TP dry! We have over the door hooks on both sides of the bathroom door for hand towels on the bathroom side and jackets on the other side. We also hung a Command cup next to the kitchen sink and another Command Caddy above the sink for little things, like a box of band aids, aspirin, etc. We also secured a plywood shelf (painted dark brown) to the window cornice board on the bathroom side of the trailer above the bed. We use travel packing cubes (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for our clothing items and stack them on this shelf. All available wall space in our trailer have some kind of a Command hook or Caddy and we use all of them! We use storage containers for snacks, bread, etc. and store them under the bed. We use the little cupboard above the tv for a pantry. We hung small Command Hooks above the door for Keys and dog leash and hooks next to the door to hang hats. But, the biggest change, was utilizing hidden storage at the bottom of the kitchen slide. I removed the panels and replaced them with 1/4" plywood panels with knobs at both ends and they are held with Velcro. We remove them while traveling and put the boards and the contents on the bed. We store pots and pans and some containers of crackers, cereal, etc. Yes, there are wires and piping to contend with, but it has made a huge difference. Now, what to do with the laptop, magazines and books. Well, I built a narrow bin with 1/2" plywood (painted dark brown) to fit behind the cushions of the dinette so the items don't push the cushions forward and fall behind them. We use 2 small baskets with lids on them for storing decks of cards and odds and ends and they sit on the corner of the U-dinette cushions along with the napkin holder. I also made two spice shelves, stained them brown and hung them on the blank wall to the right of the cooktop. My wife's other complaint was lack of counter space, so I built her a very large cutting board and she sets it on the bed, next to the sink and uses it for her prep area! The cabinet below the tv is used for flashlights, candles, dog supplies, sunscreen, etc. My wife was so frustrated with our first couple of road trips, but after these changes she loved our trailer! We were on the road for almost 3 months last summer and all the changes worked out great. Good Luck and I hope this information can help others with their storage challenges in their Hummingbird 17FD!
stkoby is offline   Reply With Quote