Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2018, 03:32 PM   #1

Hummingbird 17rk vs 17fd?

Anybody out there have hands-on experience with both of these models? The wife and I are ready to drop in on our first camper (been avid car campers, and now with a 2-year old want to make camping easy again instead of a hassle!) and would love some input. Might try to hustle a deal this fall.

Wife like the RK because she's a mean cook, but I'm not sure there's enough room in the dinette to sleep kid(s). I'm sure one would be fine, but not sure how you'd squeeze two in there.

I like the FD - we're likely to set up a camp kitchen outside anyways, weather permitting, so I don't see the point in going with the extra kitchen space in the RK. Also looks the dinette is deep enough that two kids could sleep on that bed. Once they outgrow that, they'll probably want their own tent anyways.

Thoughts? We'll be doing primarily dispersed camping, off the grid - probably going to go with a Baja edition. Would love any ideas on generators, solar panels, and whatever else will let me fire up the A/C in the summer and the heater during hunting season while out in the boondocks.

Thanks in advance - these look like great trailers and am stoked to get one soon! Going to tow with a 2008 Tacoma for now but that'll likely be a full-size in the next year or so. Hope you're all out camping this weekend!
soulsurfer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:15 PM   #2

Both are nice floorplans. We looked at both and went with the 17RK. No kids at home anymore here but the dinette, although not as big as in the 17FD, would work for your 2 yo plus another while they're young with the back cushions removed. Problem could be where to store the cushions every night. The FD will satisfy the sleeping needs of your kid/s as they get older better than the RK. But by that time you'll probably be ready for a bigger camper anyway, something maybe with bunks . We like having the added kitchen counter space and alot more cabinet/drawer storage that the 17FD offered. Sleeping space VS storage space is a tough choice. One more thing, the RK has 2 more feet of awning. Good luck with your decision.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:58 PM   #3

Love our 17RK, plenty of room for the three of us and lots of storage space.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:44 AM   #4

Thanks for the input guys. Storage vs sleeping space will definitely be a dilemma - think we're gonna just have to make a trip to a dealer and step inside one to see what we think. We're a couple hours from the closest one, but might be able to find one on our way down to CO this weekend.

Thanks again for the help guys, happy camping...
soulsurfer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #5

We have the FD. I forget why I wanted it instead of the RK, but my thinking was we really didn't need that much cooking space and would rather have the other space, along with sleeping in the rear with the window in the back. Not sure how much storage you get with the RKs pantry and ward, but the absence of closet space, such as it might be, is one thing I find lacking in the FD. No kids for us though. He's too big.
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:26 PM   #6

We just picked up a 17FD on Saturday with the Baja package. Tried it out Sun-Mon. We really like the layout, and we used the front dinette while it was raining.
jkmhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #7
Huh

We love the FD. Most of our cooking is outside so we didn't see the need for a larger kitchen. We really love the extra space with the U dinette. I wake up earlier than my wife so I can get up and lounge on the dinette. It's like laying down on a small couch as opposed to sitting up.
Huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #8

We love our 17RK - we also cook outside a lot however the extra counter means you can sleep/lounge and have the other person make tea/coffee and read at the dinette/couch. Feels very spacious for 2. Rear entry door and bed away from the kitchen is a bonus that makes rainy days not feel to cramped. Awning is awesome too.

Rob & Lynda
Jayco Hummingbird 17RK
tv: 2015 Chevy Tahoe LS
Finding our joy daily in camping, wine, golf, NASCAR and state parks!
njhappycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #9

Solar is great but will not run your a/c, get a 4000 watt generator for that.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
Solar is great but will not run your a/c, get a 4000 watt generator for that.
Or a Micro-Air Easy Start and a 2,000w generator

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #11

If you are a young family just starting out my advise would be to look at other units as the Hummingbird is a great 2 person trailer. As your family increases in size you will wish you had another unit....to upsize can get costly. Just my 2 cents considering my age and experience
txauditr-ret. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Quote:
Originally Posted by txauditr-ret. View Post
If you are a young family just starting out my advise would be to look at other units as the Hummingbird is a great 2 person trailer. As your family increases in size you will wish you had another unit....to upsize can get costly. Just my 2 cents considering my age and experience
Ya, great point! We were camping last week, and there was a Hummingbird owner with the RK. He was proud to show it to me ..... if there is a layout for just the wife n i, this would be it. The slide with the dinette is awesome. These trailers lack space, but this one makes the best of it .... thats what they were made to do, and like i said to the wife, the more space you have, the more S%^# you bring!
Now, we did see last week an RV come in, round in the front like the R-pod/Hummingbird any many other variences, but it was squared off in the rear .... and i'm sure, tons more room. Will Jayco, plus all the others follow suit i'm sure they will!