Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip-cord View Post
Hello folks, my wife and I are looking at a hybrid trailers to haul with our 2009 Rav 4. It has limited towing capacity, just 3,500lbs and we really like the layout of the X17Z. I am wondering if there are any other owners out there with this model that would have any feedback for us. Are you happy with Jayco? How does it tow, (especially with a smaller vehicle) etc.

We are in Canada but are considering importing it from the US given the price differences. Is there anything I should be aware warranty or otherwise.
Thanks
Here's another thought although it doesn't involve Jayco But it is another option.... When we had a 3500lb towing rating but wanted a tt that was hard sided, we opted for the lightweight 17' fiberglass "Egg". We chose Casita although Scamp is probably closer to Canada (both companies sell direct from the factory). You can also find them used, but they aren't cheap... used ones go for more than NADA book.

http://www.scamptrailers.com/Showroom.aspx

http://www.casitatraveltrailers.com/showroom.html

http://www.casitaforum.com/
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #22

trailmanor also makes a TT starting under 1900 lbs
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #23

Can Catch ZZZ's in 17C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
That's true, that's part of the reason we moved up. That and the fact that you can't just pull over and "super night camp" (that's what we call it when you just pull off somewhere and catch some ZZZ's without checking into a campsite) with a hybrid. Can you? I don't know. It would surely make you look as if you were camping.
The 17 C dinette area turns into a full size bed, long enough for my six foot husband, so you don't have to open the tent ends if a couple like us wants to catch some ZZZ's. Since it is just the two of us, we bought it for that reason instead of the 17 Z which opens into two small beds --- just big enough for very short people or kids.

Our SUV rated for 5,000 pounds tows like a dream in our very hilly area and further upstate NY. We went up and down many very steep inclines and had no trouble at all even when some big trucks passed us by. I would not think, from what everyone says here, that anything less than a TV rating of 5,000 lbs could pull it well so I'm glad we took Joe's and the other's advice and kept our trailer weight well under the 5,000 lb. towing rate. We have the sway bar and weight dis. hitch.
Sabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #24

Hi Rip-Cord

I have a 17C and under certain circumstances I tow it with a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe which is similar to the RAV 4 (3500 Lbs.) This is when we vacation with two vehicles because my pickup truck is busy towing our boat.

My biggest problem was with the tongue weight. These things are HEAVY in the front--about 500 lbs. I've solved this by removing the propane tank (I put it into the truck along with any other heavy stuff) and moving the battery to the back bumper. I put air bags on the Hyundai so it wouldn't sag which adds to the tongue weight. As a result, I'm down to about 350 lbs. which is within the 10% limit.

The trailer tows ok, but wind resistance is a problem. At any speed over about 50 mph, the Hyundai is working really hard; it rarely leaves 3rd gear. My gas mileage on a 260 mile trip at 55 - 60 mph was only about 11 mpg.

Bottom line: With some planning, you can probably get away with the RAV 4 for a while if you watch your weight and take it easy.
Isaacs is offline   Reply With Quote