Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2015, 10:28 PM   #1

Input on cold camping with my 28 DSBH

Hey Guys,

Im still in my first year with my 28 DSBH and need some input on cold camping.
This is my first TT and I got it mostly for work use. I travel to various job sites in the spring and fall and have used it alot this spring in the cold. Mine does have the glacier package and I was expecting it to do better and be built more for the cold than it seems to be. Just last night it seen temps in the mid teens and something totally froze up as I had no hot water at all and only cold in the Kitchen. To prepar for those temps I did unhook the city water and fill the fresh tank to use for a couple days. I did use the propain heat and I was under the impression it blows some heat underneth??

When looking around under it, it dosent seem to be set up for the cold. It is sealed however the low drain point and other various plumbing exposed under it dosent look to be ready for the cold at all, and I just saw for the first time today under it in the back it has 2 water valves that open and close, what in the world are those for?? I remeber seeing that video of them putting the eagle into sub zero temps and I think I was expecting the rig to be ready for such with the glacier package.

Im also seeing alot of sweating in the corners, along the ceiling to wall joints throughout and alot of wall sweating in the rear bunk areas to the point I question the insulation in there.

Any input is greatly appreciated,
Matthew
kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #2

I am guessing that the two valves in the rear are actually your low point drains. The ones nearer your axles are probably your drain valves for your FResh Water tank.

And you are correct, there is little freeze protection for anything that sticks out underneath. While the polar packages help somewhat, as you discovered, you probably won't be protected for any extended time when degrees are in the teens.

The best you can do without heat tape is to keep your cabinets open wherever you have water pipes behind the cabinets and keep your inside temp up. You may find that your BW and GW valves may also be frozen.

The inside sweating in very cold temps is not unusual, but may mean that you have too much moisture inside. Crack the overhead vent or a window, or if you have electricity, get a small dehumidifier. Too much moisture willcause you problems with mold and eventually rotting. And yes, the moisture builds up most prominently where there are corners where there is little room for adequate insulation, and in areas where there is little air circulation.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:00 PM   #3

Get a dehumidifier ASAP.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronos View Post
...snip...something totally froze up as I had no hot water at all and only cold in the Kitchen. To prepar for those temps I did unhook the city water and fill the fresh tank to use for a couple days. I did use the propain heat and I was under the impression it blows some heat underneth??

...snip...

Im also seeing alot of sweating in the corners, along the ceiling to wall joints throughout and alot of wall sweating in the rear bunk areas to the point I question the insulation in there.

Any input is greatly appreciated,
Matthew
dewey02 gave you some good advice.

It sounds to me like a water line from your water pump and to, or from, your water heat froze; your water pump works and is pumping water from your fresh water tank.

In most units, the sweating is seen on single pane window glass. But the moisture from cooking and breathing will condense on other cold surfaces. Cracking open a ceiling vent a bit will allow the air with the most moisture to escape, although your furnace will run more.

Hopefully the coldest weather is behind us and your 'cold' problems will soon be over.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:44 PM   #5

Thanks dewey, Yes I need to do a big heat wire project this summer sometime. Good idea. Im surprised those valves I didnt know about havent busted. They had to have been frozen a dozen times. I wonder if those valves along with the fresh tank one is designed for freezing?

I do have a dehumidifier. I helps but the walls still get condensation in the corners all the time with the humidifier saying its 30% humid.

Does anyone know If all the water pipes are mainly inside or if any are underneath? If all inside I can easily make it warmer and use elec heaters more.

Does my propane heater blow underneath?

If Im using this thing mostly in cold temps whats the the reality and time frame of this rot it could cause? Maybe I need a full 4 season rig. I thought thats kind of what I was getting, guess I was wrong.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:47 PM   #6

Thats it exactly oldmanaz, Come to think of it that line from the water heater has to run under it to get from the tank to the kitchen.. hmm not good for the cold. I can modify this thing for the cold as long as this condensation issue is not going to rot it. otherwise I need to look into another setup. I wonder if the eagles are alot better in this area.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:11 AM   #7

On any pipes that are exposed underneath, and perhaps inside the TT within cabinets, would wrapping them with pipe insulation help?

I once had an outside water line freeze that ran (exposed) from the city water feed to my house. After sitting there for 20 minutes with a hair drier to thaw it out, I thought of what I could do to prevent this again. I went to my local hardware store and bought some pipe "blanket" material and wrapped the pipe, and used good tape to hold it on. The following night gave us simular temps, and the water in the pipe did not freeze anymore.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:26 AM   #8

Leave your cabinet doors open so heat can get in there that will help prevent lines from freezing.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:02 PM   #9

I asked questions looking for information concerning cold weather camping to see if there were any new information out there. I had lived in my old rig many years ago. I heat taped all hose lines up to the trailer, and the sewer lines (I was in a fixed place). Then I skirted the entire underneath. If you are going to be in one place for a long period of time, skirting it is a good thing to do.
Unfortunately I did not get any new information regarding extreme cold weather usage. I live in Alaska and travel to places where the temps hit 30 below. The only new things I have learned are thus. Putting water softener salts (granules) in the black tank. As you use it, you have to add more. keep a 1 to 5 ratio. Also, add the the water softener granules to the grey water drains. This lowers the freezing point of the water. You will also have to use the RV antifreeze and as you use your water and toilets you have to continually add RV antifreeze to keep your GW and BW tanks from freezing. The Water softener salts allow you to utilize a lot less RV antifreeze.
Also, most people up here do not utilize the onboard fresh water tank when they go out at temps less than 20. They carry a 35 gallon barrel with a hand pump and keep it inside the trailer.
I hope this helps.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:18 AM   #10

One concern about using a larger electric heater to maintain a warmer living environment inside; this will keep your propane heater from turning on. If the propane heat doesn't turn on, then you have no heat going to the underbelly. Inside trailer is nice and warm. Underbelly stays cold :-(
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:28 AM   #11

I was in North Dakota this winter in my camper. If you are going to be in one spot a while then skirting is the best option. Also try to park over the water/sewer connections like under a slide out, then put a 1500watt heater under there and you shouldn't have any problems with water or sewer. I also used a heated hose for the 3' that were going from under the camper to the hose connection on the camper and also packed some foam around that.

Inside open all the cabinet doors at least a little, run your refrigerator on gas and you must partially block the vent outside your refrigerator or it won't work when it gets cold, I mean -10 and colder.

If it's cold outside (again, cold) you shouldn't have any problems with moisture, but when it gets warmer, a dehumidifier is the best option once the ice inside your closets start thawing

If you have the camper skirted and a heater under there, I used plywood with blue foam over it, then you're ok to use electric heaters inside the camper so you won't use too much propane.

It's helpful to put an outdoor thermometer under the camper to monitor temps under there as well.

I also put that blue foam over all my windows on the inside of the camper to keep the frost down. I left a few open that got some sun though.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #12

I have wrapped my water lines in Aluminum foil, then electric heat tape and finally pipe insulation or pool noodles then I would use the silver tape on the ends and middle. Look on you tube might find more information. Good luck

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:50 PM   #13

Yes I have heard putting blue foam over your windows helps allot, also put foam in the roof vents. Also put it on the inside of all outside compartment doors.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote