Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #1

Installing New 12volt Jensen 32 inch TV

We are camping at New Brighton Beach (State Park) overlooking the ocean right now and I am getting ready to install our new 12volt television.

I removed the old 120volt Jensen 32 inch TV (JE3214) yesterday afternoon. BTW, the mounting bracket has two release levers at the bottom of the bracket so if you have a 32 inch Jensen you may want to feel around behind the bottom of the TV for the levers. Pull them toward you and lift the TV off the top slots. Very simple if you know where the releases are, not so simple if you do not know where they are located (as was discussed in previous threads).

The bracket mounts a little lower on the new TV so I will have to lower the bracket on the wall.

The new Jensen comes with the same ports as the old one which includes a left & right Audio Out. I intend to hook them to the iRV6500BT head unit's Aux In so we can listen to the TV through the TT speakers. The head unit does not have an HDMI connector so I will be using composite cables until I switch it out. I'll post another message after I get it completed later today.

As an FYI, if you do mostly dry camping (with or without generators), as we do, and decide to install a 12volt TV, be aware that the Jensen 12volt TVs do not come with a cigarette lighter power cord. It must be purchased separately. Fortunately one of the reviewers mentioned this as we were reading the reviews so I ordered the cord when I ordered the TV.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGperson View Post
We are camping at New Brighton Beach (State Park) overlooking the ocean right now and I am getting ready to install our new 12volt television.

I removed the old 120volt Jensen 32 inch TV (JE3214) yesterday afternoon. BTW, the mounting bracket has two release levers at the bottom of the bracket so if you have a 32 inch Jensen you may want to feel around behind the bottom of the TV for the levers. Pull them toward you and lift the TV off the top slots. Very simple if you know where the releases are, not so simple if you do not know where they are located (as was discussed in previous threads).

The bracket mounts a little lower on the new TV so I will have to lower the bracket on the wall.

The new Jensen comes with the same ports as the old one which includes a left & right Audio Out. I intend to hook them to the iRV6500BT head unit's Aux In so we can listen to the TV through the TT speakers. The head unit does not have an HDMI connector so I will be using composite cables until I switch it out. I'll post another message after I get it completed later today.

As an FYI, if you do mostly dry camping (with or without generators), as we do, and decide to install a 12volt TV, be aware that the Jensen 12volt TVs do not come with a cigarette lighter power cord. It must be purchased separately. Fortunately one of the reviewers mentioned this as we were reading the reviews so I ordered the cord when I ordered the TV.

Ken
Have not had the best of luck with 12v tvs in the past. My solution to dry camping was to add a 600w psw inverter and now run my 42" tv, Dish reeiver, wireless headset and a phone charger. Combined they only pull about 200watts so have lots of room for other chargers or blueray.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #3

Just finished the installation and it works great. Bass, hopefully it will be more reliable than yours.

I thought of installing an inverter but decided a 12 volt TV would be "cleaner".

Old 03-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #4

Does anyone know what kind of backing/framing is used in the TV area? I have a 27DSRL and want to install a 39".
Texdan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #5

Can't help you because ours in mounted inside a box that swivels 180 degrees so it can be viewed from the living area or the bedroom. If you can't find a stud using a stud finder, you may want to contact Jayco tech support.

I've decided to change out the fixed position mounting bracket with a fully articulating bracket so I may have to add an additional backing board to the existing 3/4 inch particle board.

Ken

Old 03-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
I just ordered a Jay Flight 19RD and am assuming that it has the same iRV unit yours does. So no HDMI. Does it at least have Component, Blue-Green-Red, plus the white and red for audio? Please do keep us posted on a new head unit. Oh, are these head units Double Din, or are these RV specific sized?

Thanks,
Jeremy
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #7

I just pulled my iRV6500BT head unit and there are no Component connections. Just 1 set of Composite connections for A/V In and 1 set for A/V Out. That's very disappointing. Short of not installing a stereo head unit, Jayco could not have gone cheaper.

Jeremy, the unit is larger than a standard double din unit you would see in an automobile.

Ken

Old 03-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #8

Thanks for the info Ken...
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Can't help you because ours in mounted inside a box that swivels 180 degrees so it can be viewed from the living area or the bedroom. If you can't find a stud using a stud finder, you may want to contact Jayco tech support.

I've decided to change out the fixed position mounting bracket with a fully articulating bracket so I may have to add an additional backing board to the existing 3/4 inch particle board.

Ken
Thanks Ken. I contacted Jayco but figured it out in the meantime by tapping on the panel and figuring out how big the backer is. Got it mounted easily after that.
Texdan25 is offline   Reply With Quote