Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2021, 06:10 AM   #1
DK1

Inverter Prewire?

Can someone explain what the "Jay Pro Packackage" Inverter Prewire is exactly and how an inverter would be added? (I have a 171BH on order so I can't physically look for / at wiring).

From what I've read, integrating an inverter 'seamlessly' into an RV can get pretty complicated as you must isolate the 12v converter any time the inverter is engaged. By seamless I mean not having to manually throw several switches or just drive a single, separate outlet from an inverter perhaps at the pass through. So it'd be something like a switch in the interior. If you turn on, then the 120v outlets are energized by the inverter. Idiot protection is built in to prevent any electrical damage/havoc in case you were hooked to on-shore power and of course the converter is switchrd out/off. I have the Go Power 190W solar package on my unit but I don't know if/how that complicates matters.

Since the Jayco is "Prewired", I'm assuming Jayco has a particular implementation it has designed for, as well as recommended equipment. If anyone can elaborate, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
DK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:12 AM   #2
DK1

ops... just had the idiot moment...

Sorry, let me so the search ... (still early, first sip of coffee...)
Old 12-08-2021, 12:12 PM   #3

What did you find out on this? I have the same question about my 2022 Jay Feather.... thanks!
nkdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #4
DK1

Yeah not easy/cheap

If you do a search on inverter you’ll find lots of posts. Apparently the Pre-wire is basically useless.... You have to isolate the converter anytime you hook an inverter up and that requires re-wiring and infrastructure. Most people have said it just isn’t worth the pain and expense... Jayco itself isn’t much help either, neither customer care nor their engineering folks.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:49 PM   #5

Thanks for the update - We just bought a new Feather 25RB and every other brand had exactly the same setup. I figured I would at least go for a briefcase unit to recharge the house battery after a trip.

I don't know why all the RV mfrs make such a big deal about "solar ready" and even point out the port on the frame in case you don't want roof-mounted panels. Nothing I have run across seems to be all that "ready" and even as a mechanical engineer/tinkerer, I'm arriving at your same conclusion - not worth the trouble....

(FWIW - The unhelpfulness isn't limited to Jayco or RVs. It took me a solid year of haranguing Chaparral to give me a basic wiring diagram of my boat so I could so some mods and improvements...)
Old 12-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #6

Trailer inverter

I have a 2022 171BH. It has a 190W solar charger on the roof. It is prewired to accept an inverter (DC to AC) power. I have 2 6V batteries in series to provide 12V power to the trailer.
I had the dealer install the wiring for an inverter. Heavy gauge wire, up through floor into area that holds the hot water tank. (Under mattress there is a screwed down “inspection plate” that allows you to access this area). All of your wiring for an inverter will enter through this area. This is work I was not knowledgeable enough to do myself besides all of the warranty issues that would arise if done wrong. Dealer did it, it’s on them.
In the pass through storage tunnel, an inline breaker will be installed between your battery and the inverter. This will provide your protection for all of the trailer (aside from protections already built into your inverter.)
I installed my inverter, vertically, in the pass through tunnel, against the wall (think of the space where the ottomans fit), braced by a 2x4 underneath (vertical support) and further braced on the interior walls from the water heater area and the ottoman area (yes you will have to take some of your trailer apart and use simple woodworking skills to manufacture the braces.
Once installed, the inverter powers EVERY SINGLE AC OUTLET INSIDE OR OUTSIDE of the trailer!
I did not have to touch, nor did the dealer touch, anything having to do with the converter panel. Additionally, the Solar charger works great at keeping everything charged, again, with no additional wiring.

I don’t have the trailer quickly available (parked at RV storage) but I can get pics to you.
Lizardfdx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:25 PM   #7

Did they utilize the existing pre wire loop ?
Mbfd478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:00 PM   #8

Yes.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:09 AM   #9

I just bought a 100 watt renology portable solar setup has a controller included. It plugged right into the frame. I did need to use a reverse polarity adapter. It was included with the adapter you need to plug the solarvwires into the frame. Totally separate from the roof pane. Very simple to use.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:24 PM   #10

Solar ready means the roof connection for the solar panel wires should be on the roof and where the controller will mount inside the cabin there should be a dummy plate. Internal wires are in the walls already. The plug on the frame is for portable suitcase panels that have a controller on them. 20amps is the max. I have a 2022 with the solar installed when made. I also use a 100 watt renogy suitcase. Both work well. There are cheaper solar setups out there . The issue is the roof warranty. If its not dealer installed it voids the warranty. I
Old 01-10-2022, 06:45 AM   #11

@Lizard - pics would be great when you are able to get them. TIA
Old 02-16-2022, 07:32 PM   #12

Photos of Inverter Pre-Wire Area

Picked up the 2022 171bh last week. Here's a photo of the fabled "inverter pre-wire" area" which is located under the service panel, which is located under the mattress next to the water heater.
Also included a photo of the "power tower" that pops-up out of the headboard. As you can see, it's simply got a black power cord that comes out of the bottom and then plugs into a standard electrical 120 electrical outlet next to the inverter prep wire.
Attached Thumbnails
20220216_161829.jpg   20220215_175023.jpg   20220216_161834.jpg   20220216_161843.jpg   20220216_161905.jpg  

20220216_162018.jpg  
kiqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 09:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiqman View Post
Picked up the 2022 171bh last week. Here's a photo of the fabled "inverter pre-wire" area" which is located under the service panel, which is located under the mattress next to the water heater.
Also included a photo of the "power tower" that pops-up out of the headboard. As you can see, it's simply got a black power cord that comes out of the bottom and then plugs into a standard electrical 120 electrical outlet next to the inverter prep wire.
Thank you for the pics! Ive been trying to find this. Does anyone have a pic of their inverter installed?
ITguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:28 PM   #14

Check out the 171bh thread for pics.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:31 PM   #15

If there is one thing I know, the Micro Crew has cover the inverter install topic explicitly. Lol!
JayLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 11:37 AM   #16

This is great information. I just bought the 166fbs and would like to install an inverter. Can you tell me what make and model you chose for your rig?
socalkillops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 02:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITguy86 View Post
Thank you for the pics! Ive been trying to find this. Does anyone have a pic of their inverter installed?
Yes I would like to see pics of the Inverter Installed.
DONOHUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:07 PM   #18

Can you supply a link to that thread? I ma new to this group. I want to install a 2000w inverter that will power all the AC Outlets already available. I am concerned about isolating it when on shore power or genny is running (no solar). Thanks
Barham56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barham56 View Post
Can you supply a link to that thread? I ma new to this group. I want to install a 2000w inverter that will power all the AC Outlets already available. I am concerned about isolating it when on shore power or genny is running (no solar). Thanks
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...1bh-89240.html
ITguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote