Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2018, 06:46 PM   #21

Installed Jack-It-Bike Carrier

Installed a Jack-It-Bike Carrier today on my Feather 7 RBM. The install was very easy, the hard part is getting it setup for the bikes. Moving the hanger pins and the like was the real hard part. I choose to do the back first and it took several adjustments to get it where I wanted. The second bike on the front went much quicker, not because of it being in front, but I had learned on the first one.

As you can tell it cleared everything by a lot. My wife came out and gave it a shake and pronounced it solid. I haven't tried loading and unloading the back bike yet which some have complained about, we'll see, the front is easy.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0195M.jpg   IMG_0196M.jpg  
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:20 AM   #22

Our Jack It Update:

We got sick and tired of fooling with the adjustable pegs, not to mention the repeated damage they did to our derailleurs and gear cables. While fighting with them, I realized that I could take them off all together and replace them with the twisty ties found everywhere now. Genius!

For our last trip, I did just that. I hooked the tires on the top hooks and used twisty ties around the frames. I zip tied 1" pipe insulation around the rack arms, no damage at all anywhere to bikes and no fiddling with adjusting pegs and pads. The bikes were every bit as stable as with the stupid pegs, maybe better.

I also turned the rack head around towards the TV tailgate to alleviate the tenuous and PIA hoist and stretch towards the TT cap. The bikes now ride over the hitch ball with full clearance and turn radius. With these two changes, we can lower the tongue jack and load the bikes from the ground (no ladder or tailgate needed as elevated platform) - So much better!

We still much prefer our Kuat which we keep on the front of our TV for our camping/travel excursions, but I had to find some way to make the Jack It work without destroying my back, falling, or going insane with having to mount them just so every time. Pull the pegs and gets some ties - You will be so relieved and grateful.

Someday, I will have a TV or Fiver with an integrated receiver and camera in the rear. I am not going to keep spending big money on this Jayco. The rear mount set up which includes adding a camera, Mount N Lock safety struts, and moving the spare is not in the cards - lessons learned for next coach.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:54 AM   #23

I agree with some of the previous complaints but I still like my Jack-It bike carrier. Yes, sometimes it a bit of a pain in the @#$ to get the bikes on perfect, especially the rear one. Yes, it sits high and it’s a stretch for shorter people. Yes, you have to remove it to get your propane tanks out to swap or fill them (this involves pulling one bolt). But on the flip side, my truck bed is now open for other gear and my bikes are safe on the rack, not getting beat around by other things. My bikes aren’t behind my camper where I can’t see if they are ok or fell off (seen it, done it). Lastly after a 3200 mile trip out West it performed flawlessly. So, until there is a better version of this setup out there I’m a fan.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post

We still much prefer our Kuat . . .
I've been looking at a Kuat given the variations in all of our bikes, from road racing (as, I race) to dual suspension mountain to fat to cross. I don't want to hassle with the Jack-It and hanging my bike by the frame. If you had a way to get your Kuat on the Jack-It, a 90-degree adapter, do you think it would work?
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:41 PM   #25

The bikes aren't hung by the frame, they are hung by the wheels on the Jack-it carrier.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
The bikes aren't hung by the frame, they are hung by the wheels on the Jack-it carrier.
Thanks. No wonder I couldn't figure it out. Not sure I want any of my bikes hanging by their wheels either. Much prefer the "trays" of the Kuat type for keeping the frames and wheels protected from damage.
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleckb View Post
Thanks. No wonder I couldn't figure it out. Not sure I want any of my bikes hanging by their wheels either. Much prefer the "trays" of the Kuat type for keeping the frames and wheels protected from damage.
That's why they make many different types.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:49 AM   #28

I watched the Lippert video and noticed that they showed using only a single sway stop pin which is the way I have mine setup. I also noticed that every images and videos on the net showed 2 sway stop pins. I wonder if this is why so many have load/unload problems?

The bikes seem very stable with a single sway stop pin.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:21 PM   #29

My instructions said the second sway pin was only necessary if you wanted it for more stability. I think they leave it up to the end user. I find it very easy to load and unload my bikes onto the hooks. I know to put exactly the same bike that goes on it’s designated side as I set the pins up different for each bike. The bikes always go the same direction and oppose each other so handlebars don’t get in each other’s way. My only problem is the height because I’m short. I lift the bike, the hooks grab the tire rim, the bike settles in on its sway pins and I secure. The pads do a great job of protecting the frame and keeping the bike snug against the rack. It takes good upper body strength if your bike is heavy (my wife’s weighs too much and I hate it) and balance to keep from banging the first bike against the front of your trailer. I put my bike there because it’s light and easier to position. It’s not a perfect rack but I’ve not found one better yet that fits over my 30lb tanks and jack, doesn’t get in the way of my WDH hitch brackets, and doesn’t cost a fortune or require custom fabricating.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #30

I've got a Jayco X23B, and I ust purchased a Jack-It for my bikes. While it's still in the box and I can return it, I've got a few questions:

1) Does anyone know if the front bed will fold out OK, or will it hit the Jack-It (Assuming I remove the upper bars)?

2) While i'm taking off the jack, I thought it would be a good time to upgrade to an electric jack. Also, my TV is an SUV. Any experience on this combo? I'm worried about getting a jack too tall, too wide, or one that needs turning sideways to clear the SUV's rear hatch. I was looking at the Bulldog 3500 pound, as it seems short enough, but not sure I could turn it sideways if needed.
RChadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RChadwick View Post
I've got a Jayco X23B, and I ust purchased a Jack-It for my bikes. While it's still in the box and I can return it, I've got a few questions:

1) Does anyone know if the front bed will fold out OK, or will it hit the Jack-It (Assuming I remove the upper bars)?

2) While i'm taking off the jack, I thought it would be a good time to upgrade to an electric jack. Also, my TV is an SUV. Any experience on this combo? I'm worried about getting a jack too tall, too wide, or one that needs turning sideways to clear the SUV's rear hatch. I was looking at the Bulldog 3500 pound, as it seems short enough, but not sure I could turn it sideways if needed.
Although I don't have any answers to your questions, I will mention the reason I don't use a Jack-IT is because of the added tongue weight it puts on my truck. I'm virtually out of payload on my F150, and adding 100-150lbs of bikes on the tongue would make the situation worse for me. Just something to think about before you open the box.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #32

I was concerned about the same thing, but thought I could balance things out with storing bags, chairs, etc, in the back of the camper. I also have 3 bikes, so I was going to carry 2 up front, and 1 in back.
RChadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #33

My diy solution for the bikes, a custom built rack i only use it for 2 bikes right now. Longer term I will make a mount for my generator up front and then I can carry 4 on the back. Weight balance is the big issue.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210328_160022.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	69582Click image for larger version

Name:	20210328_160031.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	69583
FLascent is offline   Reply With Quote