Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #11

I think they try hard to make some trailers look minivan towable. The dry tongue weight 375# is only 10# of the 3600# quoted empty weight . I was told that 13% of loaded weight is a good number when considering tongue weight for payload calculation. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. I found it odd that model 221 has a 500# tongue weight while the trailers weight and length are similar to the 228

equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
I think they try hard to make some trailers look minivan towable. The dry tongue weight 375# is only 10# of the 3600# quoted empty weight . I was told that 13% of loaded weight is a good number when considering tongue weight for payload calculation. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. I found it odd that model 221 has a 500# tongue weight while the trailers weight and length are similar to the 228
It looks like there are three of us now with the 228 model. We are waiting on the custom window to be built and installed for the bottom bunk in place of the hatch door. The dealer has already gone and installed the skylight over the shower. Our unit is a 2012 model but had a November 2011 build date. I am doubtful that the tanks would of been upgraded, but not a big deal. Hopefully, and depending on the Alberta weather we should be taking our unit out for the first time either the last weekend of April or the first weekend of May. But again that will depend on weather. As for tongue weight, I too have read that 10 to 13% of the total weight should be tongue weight. I guess it all depends on how the unit is laid out and placement of the heavier items (ie furnace, hot water tank, fridge, etc.). Ryan

Ry-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #13

Ry-guy
Congratulations on your knew 228. I never did ask what dimention the skylight was but i'm sure it will give me more head room. It could be installed by now but i don't want to go see. I might just want to bring it home and its to early for me to. We'll set up a mid april day when all threat of freeze is over.
Do you have a tv. That is one mod i'll have to do. If so is it on a swivel type bracket. I was thinking i might want it just flat on wall since it is right over top the dinette seat.

equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote