Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2017, 10:21 AM   #1

Jay Feather

Hi ,
We're thinking of trading in our 2015 Whitehawk 23mbh in for the Jay Feather 25BH. Has anyone recently bought one that could give advice on it ,good or bad. We want something a little bigger than what we have. Thank you everyone in advance!
#1Remembories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
In the over 50 years of experience with RV's I have bought new and used ones and came to the conclusion used is better if it is a clean well taken care of unit. In general if the demand is high the quality get less, on used units someone else has usually the first occurring problems fixed and many have done some mods on the unit. I have always taken the time to search for clean units. Since I always do any repairs or upgrade mods myself I make the units to my own standards. This is the first Jay Feather (not Jayco) and are very happy with the Jay Feather. I raised the unit with a sub frame so it rides 4 9/16' higher which gives adequate clearance to go a bit off road. Many of the issues they had with the early on Jay Feathers they are gone. This Jay Feather I own still has the aluminum frame construction (Tuff Cell vacuum bonded).
I love the lightweight design as it is easy to pull with a half ton. It is fully self contained (also for the winter) and use a generator and solar suitcase for off road. My next mod will be double the FW capacity as 36 gallon is a bit low for off the grid camping. As with a home there's always some maintenance to do. The TPO roof is in very good condition after 12 years and the unit still looks new in and out. We wouldn't buy new anymore and hope we can keep this unit around for a long time as we are very happy with it. We full time pretty well 7 months out year. It has a lot of miles on the running gear and replaced the brake assemblies. We're planning to go south this winter.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #3

Look up Sennister on the forum. He has that model. We have the Jay Feather 23BHM. Love it so far. We've only had it for a couple months but we've taken it out a few times and have camped in the driveway in it and there doesn't appear to be anything that needs to be fixed (except the stupid Furrion stereo, which was wonky right out of the box but which Jayco promptly replaced). We gave much consideration to the 25BH and the only thing we didn't like about it was that, with the bunks and bathroom taking up the back third of the trailer and the full-time bed the front third it seemed a bit cramped. The outdoor kitchen in the 25 sure is sweet though.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #4

We have a 17 25bh coming up on a year now. Bought it new last Sept and it has only been back to the dealer for the light recall. We could not be happier. We pulled it with a 14 RAM with 3.21 and now have a 17 RAM with 3.92. We use a Blue Ox wdh 1k/10k for underslung coupler. For us, this is a great fit. It tows nice now that the hitch is dialed in. The outside kitchen is great and we use it every trip, morning, noon and night. I can go on and on about what I like so I will just state some not so nice. The tanks are on the smaller side. Not so much a problem for us as we always go with full hook ups but boondocking may be an issue. Also, you cannot get into the bathroom unless you open the slide. If you have any specific questions about the camper I will be happy to answer them for you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #5

Good advice, thank you ALJO!
Old 08-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #6

Thanks bondo303, I have the Ram with the 5.7 hemi so pulling isn't going to be a problem! I plan on taking my tusty Equal-i-zer system with me when I trade in my trailer. I never thought about the washroom situation with the slide though! Are you finding the bunks to be giving enough ceiling height and not to clastrophobic for anyone sleeping in them?
Old 08-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice KillerIsMe, I think if we get it, it should be a good fit for the 3 of us.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:15 AM   #8

Honestly, I feel that the bunks have enough room for the kids but I personally do not like sleeping in the bunks. I slept on top once and it was comfortable but I feel that it is not great for adults. Plenty of room as they are both full size beds but it is coffin like. My kids are young so they both love their beds and climbing into them but it is not for me. They have probably about 2 feet from bed to ceiling.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #9

I also want to add that the slide is big. When it rains, as it always does when we are camping, there is plenty of room. No one is stepping on each other. Our old jay flight did not have a slide and was only 20 feet long so rainy days meant that I was outside sitting under the awning usually by myself. As for pricing, depending on where you buy it, you should have no problem getting at least 30% off of msrp. We bought a few hours out of state and saved over $10k. My local dealer didn't want to negotiate and felt that he didn't have to as he was to only dealer on long island. We drove just over 2 hours into jersey and it was probably the best thing that we could have done. The dealer was no pressure and the prices on all of the campers were great to begin with. We only haggled a little bit and they didn't even counter offer. They just said ok, sign here when you are ready. Keep us updated on what you decide.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo303 View Post
I also want to add that the slide is big. When it rains, as it always does when we are camping, there is plenty of room. No one is stepping on each other. Our old jay flight did not have a slide and was only 20 feet long so rainy days meant that I was outside sitting under the awning usually by myself. As for pricing, depending on where you buy it, you should have no problem getting at least 30% off of msrp. We bought a few hours out of state and saved over $10k. My local dealer didn't want to negotiate and felt that he didn't have to as he was to only dealer on long island. We drove just over 2 hours into jersey and it was probably the best thing that we could have done. The dealer was no pressure and the prices on all of the campers were great to begin with. We only haggled a little bit and they didn't even counter offer. They just said ok, sign here when you are ready. Keep us updated on what you decide.

Hi bondo303, I live in Canada so I hope we can get a deal. The bunks sound like their awfully close to each other though. One of the reasons we wanted to get a trailer with wider bunks was so we could sleep adults. May have to look at something else. There's the White Hawk 28DBS that we like but a much higher price and thinking that it might be too much trailer for my Dodge with the 5.7 Hemi!

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #11

You should look at the new jay feather 29qb. I would have considered it if it was out when I bought mine. It is a new floorplan that looks like it has a bunk room which looks more spacious than the 25bh.

https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...-feather/29qb/

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #12

Looks nice bondo303. I haven't been able to see any pictures though, only the floor plan. I'm wondering too if the bunks are single even though it says double. The other thing too, with a 78 inch high ceiling, the bunks are still probably close to each other like the BH25.