Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #1

Jay Flight or White Hawk

What is the difference between the Jay Feather and White Hawk models?
bigmike19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:27 PM   #2

Weight of the two trailers and dollars out of your wallet.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #3

White Hawks have a few more appointments, but the construction is the same for the Hawks and Feathers (chassis, walls, roof). The one worthy exception is the White Hawks got plywood floors starting in 2016. Now that they both have the same weird styling (2018), there are few differences. The White Hawk used to be marked by a classier, less sporty, color and decal scheme, but now they both have the "new" look. White Hawks can also come with a front window now with some floorplans.

The Jay Flights have a heavier chassis and wall structure (wood-studded walls). I think the Flights are a sturdier build over the Hawk and Feather. IMHO, the Jay Flight is a better value over the Hawk for its pricing, build, and appointments. The Feather is less expensive and a better value than the Hawk. For Hawk money, I would go for a maxxed-out Flight or pay a little more and make the move to an Eagle. Otherwise, all I see in the Hawk over a Feather is a wood floor (which is something, but depends on one's budget).

In my opinion, Jayco is missing a significant opportunity to reach a higher level market, between the Feather and the Eagle lines (for their non-Jay Flight ultra-light models). I used to view the White Hawk as a modest upgrade above the Jay Feather, but I do not any more. Other than the plywood floor, I personally see no construction, quality, or aesthetic based reason or value for the higher priced Hawks. Our Jay Feather is serving us very well. If we were in the market, we would be looking at Jay Flights and Eagles to "upgrade" a bit.

Before this year's (2018) restyling, the Hawk had our attention for the better floor (vs Feather), enclosed front cap, and the elevated aesthetics of its former colors, graphics, and design features. I was getting a little "suckered" by the aesthetic appeal the pre-2018 Hawks had for me. I am actually glad that they changed it. It helped me see that they are not worth the extra money over a Feather. The change opened my eyes to Flights and Eagles, and it heightened my appreciation of our 2016 Feather.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #4

There are actually more differences between the Hawk and the Feather... Some of the differences I found are listed below:

Floor construction- Hawk: Plywood Feather: Vacuum bonded

Interior Ceiling height- Hawk: 82" Feather: 78"

Windows- Hawk- Frameless Feather - Regular

Fridge- Hawk: 8 cu. ft. Feather- Up to 6 cu. ft.

Toilet- Hawk: Porcelain Feather - Plastic

These are just some of the differences I noticed right away. There are other ones such as awning types, slam latch compartment doors, wheels, etc.,etc.

I think the Hawk and the Feather are still worlds apart except now they share similar wall construction, NextGen frames and decals..

The Flight is a whole different ball game from either the Hawk or the Feather. The Flight is a cheaper trailer (and I don't mean in quality). It is also a heavier trailer constructed with older methods such as wood framed walls. As stated in previous posts it also utilizes a heavier frame. It's more of an older technology trailer, not saying that is bad, it is tried and true!

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS (sold)
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
oldnnew is offline   Reply With Quote