Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2014, 01:21 AM   #1

Jay Swift SLX Baja or not?

Hi,

We are moving up from camping to a trailer. We want a trailer that has a dry weight under 3000 pounds, can handle modest off roading, and can be used in cold weather as we camp in the Mojave desert in winter. Snow happens.

My impression is that the jay flight swift SLX 185rb baja fits some of our needs, but I am unsure how it does on off roads and cold weather.
Offroader53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #2

Others here have considerably more experience than I do with TTs. I recently got the 195RB Baja (and looked carefully at the 185RB). There is plenty of clearance for off road travel. The tires are well suited. As for winter use, I'm not sure how cold you'll experience. I have used mine just dry thus far. The 185RB water heater and fresh water tank are under the bed and should be fine at fairly cold temps. The trailer bottom is enclosed, so it will retain some heat if the trailer is warm. I wouldn't want to use it wet if temps were dropping into the low 20's or teens.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #3

Norell,

I am having a hard time locating details on the 184 or 195 baja. Is your refrigerator a three way or just electric?What is the BTU for the heater?

Thanks
Old 03-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #4

Frig is gas or electric. I have the heater BTU somewhere. Will try to find that. The heater is plenty sufficient to keep things toasty. The edges around the A/C are not sealed particularly well. I rectified that with foam tape on mine.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #5

I think the furnace is 10,000 - 12,000 BTU, but can't find that info anymore. One interesting difference between the 185RB and 195RB Bajas is the placement of the water heater. The 185RB has it by the fresh water tank under the bed. The 195RB has it right at the axle. The Jayco websites also don't seem to mention that the fresh water tanks are bigger in the Baja models than their listed specs. The 185RB Baja full of water could have a tongue weight ratio well above recommended levels.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #6

Norrell,

The salesperson is unsure but thinks the furnace is 18000 btu.

the water tank is 30 gallons and full is close to 240 pounds. This would exceed my tongue weight.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #7

Hi,

The baja has a 45 gallon tank per salesperson. he said to buy a distribution hitch.

Sounds like a bad idea to me to buy the 185.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #8

Jayco says both models have a 26 gallon fresh water capacity. Somewhere I saw that they planned to add 10 gallons for Baja versions. But mine is around 44 gallons not counting the water heater.

On the door, the sticker says the water capacity is 341 lbs (41 gallons). I measured the tanks and it's 32"x23"x14" which amounts to 44 gallons. I saw a 185RB Baja with the exact same tank.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #9

The 195RB gets 6 gallons of water off the tongue. I am using a weight distribution hitch (Anderson) and it tows well, although I haven't towed full of water yet.